Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
Rovch

Trader Rating: (0)
Rovch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 S14 Bi-Level Door Motor Issue

Hello Zilvia,

I have an odd issue after doing a V8 swap in my '96 S14. My, what seems to be bi-level door motor, seems to be stuck going back and forth as long as the key is in ON position or the car is running. With that said, it does not affect anything to my knowledge. Every button on my climate control works like it's suppose to.

Perhaps I am focusing the wrong thing? I am looking at the FSM and this seems to be it, but there isn't a lot explaining what it does and how it does it.

If you have experience this issue or have experience replacing this part, please let me know.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnderGloveBox.jpg (198.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg FSM BI-Level Motor.jpg (252.1 KB, 21 views)
Rovch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Can you elaborate on what is happening? Is it the bi-level motor not moving or is it cycling between the functions automatically?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
I would check the wiring at the dash plug...not sure what would make that actuator go crazy like that , but there is a wire for the a/c recirc relay down there. I dont remember how it affects the blend doors when triggered but maybe worth looking into.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Is it actually moving back and forth, or getting to a position and then just sitting there "clicking"?

Basically the bi-level door is closed in every HVAC position except for face/feet. I unplugged mine until I was able to get a replacement motor. Pulled the bad motor apart and noticed that a few of the plastic teeth on the gears had stripped, causing the clicking noise I was hearing. If your motor is cycling between full open and full closed, then there's something wrong with your HVAC controller.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
Rovch

Thank you for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon
Can you elaborate on what is happening? Is it the bi-level motor not moving or is it cycling between the functions automatically?
Here is a better description of what's happening:

-The motor buzzes then clicks, buzzes then clicks... over an over again non stop.
-That does not seem to affect anything at all as far the the controls go. All of the buttons, fan speeds, and heat/cold lever work as they should. (except for A/C of course because I have yet to make custom lines)
-Here is a video (turn up the volume)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgosh
I would check the wiring at the dash plug...not sure what would make that actuator go crazy like that , but there is a wire for the a/c recirc relay down there. I dont remember how it affects the blend doors when triggered but maybe worth looking into.
I will take a closer look at a wiring diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Is it actually moving back and forth, or getting to a position and then just sitting there "clicking"?
I think it is trying to do something, but is unable to move. It clicks periodically, every few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Basically the bi-level door is closed in every HVAC position except for face/feet. I unplugged mine until I was able to get a replacement motor. Pulled the bad motor apart and noticed that a few of the plastic teeth on the gears had stripped, causing the clicking noise I was hearing. If your motor is cycling between full open and full closed, then there's something wrong with your HVAC controller.
What I find odd is that all of my control buttons seem to work as they should. I can switch air between head/legs/windshield and so on. Perhaps it's not the bi-level door that I am dealing with?

How hard was it to replace? It seems like I will have to pull the headunit to get a better access.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovch View Post

What I find odd is that all of my control buttons seem to work as they should. I can switch air between head/legs/windshield and so on. Perhaps it's not the bi-level door that I am dealing with?

How hard was it to replace? It seems like I will have to pull the headunit to get a better access.
Pull the headunit and the glove box to get to it. With radio/headunit removed, the bi-level motor is on the right at the bottom of the heater core/box. Should be able to reach in an unplug it. Replacing wasn't very hard, just needed a short screwdriver to reach in there.

In the video you linked, the arm isn't moving at all, my guess is the teeth are all stripped inside. You can unplug it and it will be fine. That door only opens with bi-level setting, it's closed for every other setting. I think it balances the ratio of head/legs, because even unplugged air still came out the top and bottom for me.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Rovch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Pull the headunit and the glove box to get to it. With radio/headunit removed, the bi-level motor is on the right at the bottom of the heater core/box. Should be able to reach in an unplug it. Replacing wasn't very hard, just needed a short screwdriver to reach in there.

In the video you linked, the arm isn't moving at all, my guess is the teeth are all stripped inside. You can unplug it and it will be fine. That door only opens with bi-level setting, it's closed for every other setting. I think it balances the ratio of head/legs, because even unplugged air still came out the top and bottom for me.
Gotcha, thanks. Where do you guys get these replacement motors? I can't seem to find any.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #8
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
I have the whole box willing to ship....
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovch View Post
Gotcha, thanks. Where do you guys get these replacement motors? I can't seem to find any.
I have the part number in my notes somewhere. I was going to order it online. I ended up getting a whole heater core though and pulled the motor off of that.