Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #15421
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So, dumb question. My '95 S14's driver mirror has fallen off the track. It seems one of the studs(?) that hold the window to the regulator assembly has sheared off in the window itself. Anyone had this problem? If so, do I need to replace the entire window? If not, anyone know what bolt size I need?

Last edited by Roscoe.; 11-20-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #15422
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Stock S14 spoiler is 54". That help?
no but thanks for trying lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I think 66" for s13.
hmm, cool. or how would we do so to measure it correctly?
Checking if my 64" wing is wider, looks like it is.. but at the same time it doesnt....
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #15423
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
anyone use pbm rucas? how are they?
juhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #15424
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
no but thanks for trying lol

hmm, cool. or how would we do so to measure it correctly?
Checking if my 64" wing is wider, looks like it is.. but at the same time it doesnt....
S14 is 68" wide, S13 is 67" wide. These are direct from the dimensional specs for mechanical data for each body type. Unless you can stretch that wing, it is not wider than the car. It is wider than the top of the car, but it is not wider than the body at it's widest point, the rear quarter panel
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #15425
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
another z32 brake question I KNOW :/

question is : for those of you who have separated the front calipers how much torque did you apply to the bolts that hold the caliper together ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #15426
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
How low of an offset and how wide of a wheel can I have on an S13 without having to roll or pull the fenders and quarter panels?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #15427
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Nation S13 View Post
another z32 brake question I KNOW :/

question is : for those of you who have separated the front calipers how much torque did you apply to the bolts that hold the caliper together ?

I have Q45 calipers, and before I actually looked up torque specs, I just followed the torque specs from the 1989 240SX FSM. Then when I looked up the Q45 torque specs for the calipers, they were exactly the same. So I would just base it off the 240SX FSM torque specs - assuming you have access to an FSM. If not, you can easily find the PDF online. Because Nissan.

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #15428
angrychild1997

angrychild1997 is an unknown quantity at this point
s14

guys to tuck the fuse box back into the dash,you just have to cut the wires and connect em back once the fuse box its inside right? dumb question but i need a straight foward answer
angrychild1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #15429
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
S14 is 68" wide, S13 is 67" wide. These are direct from the dimensional specs for mechanical data for each body type. Unless you can stretch that wing, it is not wider than the car. It is wider than the top of the car, but it is not wider than the body at it's widest point, the rear quarter panel
Actually 66.5"
remeasured my wing, its 68" so it is wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
How low of an offset and how wide of a wheel can I have on an S13 without having to roll or pull the fenders and quarter panels?
depends on wheel diameter/tire you want to run.
I say 215/40/17or18 on a 17or18 x 9.5 +12 is perfect. Hatch doe, idk if coupe is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrychild1997 View Post
guys to tuck the fuse box back into the dash,you just have to cut the wires and connect em back once the fuse box its inside right? dumb question but i need a straight foward answer
yes that's what you have to do, usually they rewire the fuse box into their glove compartment.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #15430
angrychild1997

angrychild1997 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks bro ,any suggestions??? anything i should watch out for?
angrychild1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #15431
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have a question, my throttle body has no throttle body stop screw. I just got one and wondering how it should be adjusted, is there a procedure? I believe i read somewhere that you have to disconnect the iacv than adjust it? please let me know. This is for an rb25
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #15432
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobellman_2007 View Post
I have Q45 calipers, and before I actually looked up torque specs, I just followed the torque specs from the 1989 240SX FSM. Then when I looked up the Q45 torque specs for the calipers, they were exactly the same. So I would just base it off the 240SX FSM torque specs - assuming you have access to an FSM. If not, you can easily find the PDF online. Because Nissan.
I remember reading on the net ( but I could be wrong ) that the calipers were never meant to be separated ( bc the OEM caliper rebuild kit never came with the 4 small o-rings ) but I know that I've seen numerous calipers broken on half to be custom powder coated .. I just don't want these things falling apart on me lol

S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #15433
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Anyone used the VIS copy of the DRFT bumper for S13 pop-ups? I'm looking for how it fits out of the box. I know their new stuff fits well...

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #15434
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Anyone know of a inner tie rod removal tool that works with the 240sx?

I've tried two different auto shops that had the tube style tool and they weren't large enough.

The inner tie rods are frozen on good and won't come off with adjustable wrenches.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #15435
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Anyone know of a inner tie rod removal tool that works with the 240sx?

I've tried two different auto shops that had the tube style tool and they weren't large enough.

The inner tie rods are frozen on good and won't come off with adjustable wrenches.
They won't come off with adjustable wrenches? Holy crap. I don't think that tube is going to be any help then . I've had to heat the steering rack shaft up before.

The tube should come with a bunch of different sized ends to use, sometimes you'll have to buy an extra pack to get all the sizes, so that might be the problem.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #15436
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrychild1997 View Post
thanks bro ,any suggestions??? anything i should watch out for?
just make sure all the colors match up and properly wired/soldered.

so school me on S15 HLSD's

you need the differential and output shafts and someone told me about having to shim it also in a s13 pumpkin. But I researched that you dont/can't shim an s15 helical... What do i need for it to work
Old 11-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #15437
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post

you need the differential and output shafts and someone told me about having to shim it also in a s13 pumpkin. But I researched that you dont/can't shim an s15 helical... What do i need for it to work
I think they meant shim the diff so the ring gear interfaces with the pinion gear properly. Just something you do with every diff when setting it up properly, definitely not the same as shimming a VLSD. The shims go between the side bearing races and the diff housing.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #15438
Driftwire
Zilvia Addict

Driftwire is an unknown quantity at this point
I am running a base map from Nismotronic on my KA-T and I want to use an SAFC to prefect my fuel and DEC AIR settings. Now i hear that SAFC II can cause advance in my timing. Is there a way to prevent the timing from being advanced while still controling the DEC AIR settings. Sorry if i sound like a fucking idiot because I dont know much about this whole thing.
Did you check the potato fuse located in the front right corner of your gas tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB33 View Post
No i haven't. To be honest i didnt know there was a fuse there. Thats not a fuse for the fuel pump is it?
Driftwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #15439
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Catch can tubing?

Alright so i've been trying out different things for a week and im tired of throwing money away. I've relocated my catch can to the intake side on my S13 SR to help route the lines away from the heat. And the hoses are still getting melted! I've looked into heat wraps and things like that but I thought i'd ask what most people do for this tubing that will actually hold up to exhaust manifold radiant heat.

Looking at
- Clear/Braided tubing
- Blue Goodyear Hi-Miler tubing
- plain black heater hose
- stainless AN hoses
- bracketed hard lines?

Pics aren't enough anymore I need tips on what works!

Thanks.
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #15440
soryu
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
soryu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
When i close my doors the windows shake.
s13 hatch.
can i tighten some screws to fix it?
i haven't taken the panel off to check.
soryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #15441
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherf92 View Post
Alright so i've been trying out different things for a week and im tired of throwing money away. I've relocated my catch can to the intake side on my S13 SR to help route the lines away from the heat. And the hoses are still getting melted! I've looked into heat wraps and things like that but I thought i'd ask what most people do for this tubing that will actually hold up to exhaust manifold radiant heat.

Looking at
- Clear/Braided tubing
- Blue Goodyear Hi-Miler tubing
- plain black heater hose
- stainless AN hoses
- bracketed hard lines?

Pics aren't enough anymore I need tips on what works!

Thanks.
When building endurance race engines or putting them in cars we used flame proof matting between the lines and manifolds. The lines we built were made from Earle's AN kits using 250* braided line(PITA to work with, looks great though when done right). Using NOMEX line covers works for all areas under hood except directly next to the headers/Turbo manifolds as seen here

Nomex - Fireproof Braided Sleeving

If you take an old license plate, wrap it with header wrap, this makes a great fabbed heat shield that will reflect up to 1800* or the temps your headers/turbo manifolds will reach, or you can go to Jeg's and get this:

JEGS Stainless/Ceramic Heat Shield Panel - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

If you use the ceramic shield, AND nomex or other wrap/tubing protection, you should be ok

You asked for advice on what works. Yes it does make you cry a bit when you pay for it, but you only cry once and you do not buy twice.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #15442
2Slow40
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute2Slow40 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is there a difference between a oil temp sensor and a water temp sensor? Basically, can I run a oil temp gauge as a water temp gauge?
2Slow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #15443
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
They won't come off with adjustable wrenches? Holy crap. I don't think that tube is going to be any help then . I've had to heat the steering rack shaft up before.

The tube should come with a bunch of different sized ends to use, sometimes you'll have to buy an extra pack to get all the sizes, so that might be the problem.
It's that damn red strength loctite... I found a tie rod tool that works on the stock tie rods at O'Reilly... ended up using a dremel to open one of the adapters a little for the larger PBM inners I was installing. Works great now... hardly any effort needed compared to the adjustable wrench method with the car on jack stands.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #15444
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Slow40 View Post
Is there a difference between a oil temp sensor and a water temp sensor? Basically, can I run a oil temp gauge as a water temp gauge?
They're different. Oil and transmission sensors are interchangeable though.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #15445
yetijeff
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
yetijeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Has anyone wired a bee*r into a single cam? I have tried every which way, follow a couple different diagrams using pin 31 and 22 as well as pin 3 and 31, everything in between, And I have had no luck. No light and no cutoff, nothing. Anyone else have this problem? Yes I've searched and exhausted every which way possible. Am I missing something or is this thing a dud. Help is gratefully appreciated...
yetijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #15446
jscherf92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jscherf92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
When building endurance race engines or putting them in cars we used flame proof matting between the lines and manifolds. The lines we built were made from Earle's AN kits using 250* braided line(PITA to work with, looks great though when done right). Using NOMEX line covers works for all areas under hood except directly next to the headers/Turbo manifolds as seen here

Nomex - Fireproof Braided Sleeving

If you take an old license plate, wrap it with header wrap, this makes a great fabbed heat shield that will reflect up to 1800* or the temps your headers/turbo manifolds will reach, or you can go to Jeg's and get this:

JEGS Stainless/Ceramic Heat Shield Panel - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

If you use the ceramic shield, AND nomex or other wrap/tubing protection, you should be ok

You asked for advice on what works. Yes it does make you cry a bit when you pay for it, but you only cry once and you do not buy twice.
Thanks that's great info and the links really helped!
jscherf92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #15447
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
how do you add those signatures on the bottom of your comments. the ones below the _____________
GUZZLE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #15448
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLE7 View Post
how do you add those signatures on the bottom of your comments. the ones below the _____________
1. Click "User CP" (stands for User Control Panel) at the top of the page
2. On the left side of the page under Settings & Options, click "Edit Signature"

You can choose to use a picture or text as your signature.

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #15449
GUZZLE7
Leaky Injector

GUZZLE7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobellman_2007 View Post
1. Click "User CP" (stands for User Control Panel) at the top of the page
2. On the left side of the page under Settings & Options, click "Edit Signature"

You can choose to use a picture or text as your signature.
thank you very much
GUZZLE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #15450
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
What kind of (semi-flexible) hose can I use to tuck the brake booster vacuum hose (behind the motor/under the lip where the firewall meets the cowl) that won't collapse on itself?

Picture for reference...

The OEM hose seems to be pre formed (for stock location of course) and has a plastic tube inside the straight section(s). Where as the bent sections probably don't have that plastic piece that I can see and are pretty stiff.

I have looked around and thought of SS braided line (in black of course), which is cool for me and not worried about price. but I normally see it for pressure lines (i.e.-> coolant/fuel) I thought there might be another kind of hose that can handle vacuum for the brake booster without collapsing..
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote