Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Z16a - Официальный российский суперкар

Z16a - Официальный российский суперкар
(Z16a - Official Russian supercar)

So over the winter I had been itching for a fun No Shit Given style project car. I love me them 90's cars after all. The only issue is being in the Rust-Belt there is honestly nothing left. I've not seen a Integra in years. Even our junk yards are devoid of classic gold. I was keeping an eye out for an FC, JZZ30 or even a DSM. However, I became infatuated with a forgotten supercar, the 3000GT VR-4 - GTO

I see FWD 3000GTs for sale for cheap. After all they are just a big 20 year old Gallant Coupe. The original plan was to get one and drop a 2jz or something into it. I found you can get F136 engines out of a Massarati for only $1,600. This is the same engine in a Ferrari F430 only with a standard crank, different intake and cams.

However, after some research, the FWD cars are completely different then their AWD brothers.
Shooter83 did a great job showing this in his conversion.
http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/shooter8...-heavy-427498/

The rear subframes are not the same. As it turns out, there are three chassis codes. Z11, Z15 and Z16 - The Z11's are USDM cars only. They are FWD and have a different rear suspension setup. The Z15 is the base car for the rest of the word. They are N/A, but AWD - coming in both 5spd and Automatic. Their transmissions and transfer-cases are the same internally as DSM. The Z16A is the 4-wheel Steering, Twin Turbo VR-4 car. Initially with a 5spd but latter a 6spd. The Getregs are amazing and strong, easily capable of 1,000whp. The issues being the actual cases themselves explode long before gear damage. Now the TT car was also offered in a "MR" package (Mitsubishi Racing) using a Z15 chassis (rear steering delete) to reduce weight. Dodge also sold Stealths this was as well.

The more I dug into it, the more I wanted one of these unloved machines. As luck would have it, I scored an original GTR killing machine for $1,000 without any rust and still actually running. Engine had a spun bearing and was knocking, a very common issue with the 6G72. Just browsing the FB Classifieds, saw it posted a few minutes early, called the guy and went up there and got it. He was a mere 20 minutes away.

As it sat.

Sadly the next day it was a snow storm when I returned to claim my prize, and while trying to load the trailer, the motor locked up. Thankfully a few brutes in the apartment complex helped shove the 4,000lb Siberian Whale up on the trailer. сука блять

Once home, I had to shove it off the trailer - exciting. It did not roll back as far as I had feared.

SIX GEE SEVEN TWO NO SHIT!

Duke and I already imaging tearing up the summer nights in our new Poorari.

Even with the awful race stripes and DSM Eagle wheels it's not a bad looker.

Tear Down This Car!

Stock Seats are FUCKING HEAVY and these are not even powered.

Interior was disgusting. Found $8 in change however.

Grabbed some 4th Gen Eclipse seats for $50. They look nice but the seats move you out to the side. It's hard to explain. I'll take some more detail photos when I get the interior back together.

Car had a dented fender - replaced that with one the previous owner gave me.

Last edited by Corbic; 06-09-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Image links are not working, fix them ASAP

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
It was a good story though.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Thanks. I’m on it.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Corbic
Post Whore!

Continued Stripping the interior. The plan is to build a car inspired by the Porsche 911 RS or Honda Integra/NSX Type-R. Minimalistic interior, weight savings but still making it an enjoyable street car.

Lots of guys in the Z16A community argue against weight savings. They feel the car is a "GT Touring Car" and to leave all the creature comforts along. I plan to delete just about everything. The Electronic Suspension, the Active Aero, the Airbags, ABS, so forth. Not just delete them, but remove the wiring, brackets and all.

Rear seats are a great example, Yes, the cushions only weight maybe 20lbs, but toss in the buckles, belts, mounts, and brackets and your well over 50lbs.

All this, gone - I may even cut out the pan and rivet in a sheet of aluminum like many DSM guys.

Up front, installed my RAID steering wheel. Authentic Italian unit with a very strong Porsche historical connection. You can still find some NOS on eBay every now and then.

SRS Wiring, it's all coming out.

This picture earlier, that silver box is the SRS module, not the ECU and it's not light.

I really like the dash design.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quick Story of bullshit пидор sellers.

So this guy was selling what he claimed was a 3SX forged Short Block.

6G72s have two blocks - a 2-bolt, and in 1993 they went to a 4-Bolt block. Also in 1992 they went to a Forged Crank.

3SX built using new 4-bolt blocks with OEM Forged Cranks, they then had Ross Pistons and H-beam rods. Retail was like $4k for a short block.

After some back and forth, he agrees to $900. I go up there, and while the engine does have H-beams and Pistons, it's a 2-bolt block, and won't turn. The hone was shit and the block was a filthy pile of shit. So I passed. Waste of Time.

Ended up buying a used N/A engine from Alabama. I had thought about buying a JDM motor, but complete engine sets are ~$3-4k, granted that includes transmission and transfercase. However, I'd still want to rebuild it and that would be another $500-$1000 and the whole point of this car is a cheap project.

This was like $650 shipped.

Seller was great as they held it for a week as I was traveling for work. When I returned, it took just a few days to receive it.

Engine was used but in good shape.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
drfftn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
drfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond reputedrfftn has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subbed this looks promising
drfftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Corbic
Post Whore!

I'm sure by now you are wondering about all the Russian jokes - well, during my research into the Z16A, it turns out this car is actually rather liked in Russia and other parts of Asia like Thailand. I follow a bunch of Russian owners on Instagram.

Anyway, Back to Breaking Shit.

Oil Cooler will need replaced. I'm undecided on FMIC or just new piping for the SMIC.

Duke's proud of his Stupper-Vising.

Pulled the engine in a few hours. These cars are not as bad as people make them out to be. It's no '72 Chevy Half-Ton, but it's much easier then a 300ZX or anything European.

I'm keeping the A/C intact since the awesome digital climate controls work. I'll upload a video.

Packed up the Turbo Engine and N/A engine. Headed down to Texas to visit my bro, Da Shelba. Tacoma was totally maxed out and not enjoying it.

But I made it.

One complication was Jason forgot to mention his lack of Cherry Picker, so I had to strip the engines in the truck bed so I could unload them.

Luckily the neighbors decided to give a hand... by standing around watching.

Turbo Strip down.

Block had been previously, and most likely incorrectly rebuilt. Bores had a ton of scoring. Block needed to be bored over.

Without time and on a budget, we decided to just use the N/A block. Which kinda sucked only because it turns out the N/A blocks are all 2-bolts, only the later Turbo Blocks are 4-bolt. Despite this, the 2-bolt blocks are known to make 1000whp. They have huge girdles. My goal is not to use the "Best of the Best" but to just build a simple 350whp fun street car. I have to keep reminding myself.

Another snafu was the pistons are press fit and not floating pins.

Luckily I found a local shop within an hours drive that could turn it around for the next day.

Into the cleaning tank the block goes -

Fancy Rod Vise to check clearances

God damn mess.

So with all the complications and delays, ended up blue printing and assembly the short block (I'll post numbers later). Packed everything up and headed back to Indiana.

Once Home, I started laying everything out to reassemble.

Of course one of the oil pump bolts bound up and snapped. So i tried to use an easy-out to get it out, and of course that snapped too. Well an easy-out is hardened steel, so I ended up having grind that bitch out. First time ever Jalopnik had anything of value to contribute.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-you-r...fro-1746998630

Ended up over grinding and going into the water jacket. Made a stud, JB-Welded it and life goes on. Engine got painted Ford Blue. I plan to paint the heads and valve covers too. I like that painted hot-rod engine look. Let it sit outside all day in the heat to get a nice sun bake and give the paint time to out gas.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Corbic
Post Whore!

Another Junk Yard run netted some awesome results.

First, I found a Sebring with a 6G72 using a similar looking upper engine mount. Only it was aluminum. So for $5 I gave it a shot. It's identical and weights a good 7lbs less.

I also scored a set of mint OZ Ultraleggeras in 18x8 5x114.3 for.... $200!!

Only downside is I was planning on going with something like an R32 OEM wheel. I want that chunky tire 80's supercar / 90's import look.

Other things I got recently -

MiniDisc Pioneer setup from Japan. Some underglow lighting and wiring and batter box. Going to move the fuse box and batter to the trunk.

I'll be sure to keep this thread full of cool Z16A stuff the average person may not know. Like fuck yo slow ass GTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OklMO9_SRrY
Old 06-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is surprisingly interesting lol. Looking forward to more updates
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Corbic
Post Whore!

Video of the Digital Climate Control and Defi Gauges.

Car came with 3 Defi Gauges, an Authentic HKS BOV and a turbo-smart turbo timer. EGR had also been deleted and it has some sort of cat-back exhaust. Not bad for a $1,000 junk wagon. Oh yeah, and that $8s in change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_a3CMJOj1w

Also, GTO holding its own against some R33's and a Supra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNQM206Q_w
Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
Corbic
Post Whore!

Heads are cleaned up and reassembled. Unfortunately, the head-gaskets that came in my rebuild kit are composite. Ordered some FelPro MLS gaskets. Should be here next week.

Weather is nice this weekend. So I may drop the Cobra's gas tank to eliminate PPRV from pumps, or work on the interior of the GTO.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Highly entertaining. Keep it up.
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Eight post before the 1st mention of Mustang... I guess, peope can change.

Interesting build choice for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
^ beat me to it.. bs aside this is kinda cool.. if you need anything from pit road m i could help...
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Not bad. This thing is reminiscent of our old Legnum in Japan. Basically a Galant station wagon with the same layout as the NA AWD GTO. Wife loved that car.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #17
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
^ beat me to it.. bs aside this is kinda cool.. if you need anything from pit road m i could help...
Thanks man!

Pit Road M is really what put me over the edge on buying one of these cars. No big shops ever did anything with chassis for the most part. Hell, there is not even a Hyper Rev book for the Z16A.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons was Mitsubishi had intended the cars major success to be in the USA and as a result that was always the intended market from a design and marketing standpoint. There is supposedly less leg room for the driver on the RHD cars because RHD took a back seat when designing the car.

I'll try and keep relevant Z16A information coming into this thread. I've always enjoyed build threads not to see someone flex their CC or Skills, but to learn about projects and cars.

Some Pit Road M love.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #18
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Not bad. This thing is reminiscent of our old Legnum in Japan. Basically a Galant station wagon with the same layout as the NA AWD GTO. Wife loved that car.
Z16A is basically a Gallant Coupe.

Kinda interesting when you think about how the Gallant VR-4 was basically the precursor to the Evo I. The success of the Evo platform I believe took a lot of the attention away from the 3000GT. Ultimately, cars like the Evo and STi are what killed the big expensive sports cars like the Z16A, GTR and Supra.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #19
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Fuck this is already so fucking cool.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #20
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Love seeing something different. In for updates
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #21
Corbic
Post Whore!

Still waiting on my damn head gaskets.
I'll do some more body/interior work this weekend.

I also bought these for $333.

They'll be on the slow boat, so I don't expect to see them until August.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #22
Corbic
Post Whore!

Whelp... it's been a while since the update as progress has been slow.

At the start of July the Cobra's twin-disk exploded. Dropped that SOB off at a shop in Detroit. I'm over it. Should be done in the next few weeks.

Also got Married! Two week Honey-Moon, only recently got back from Italy.

So normally this is where most would be parting out or just vanishing into the darkness. However, I'm still at it!

Needed to find a rear housing for the water pump since I tossed BOTH of mine away not realizing I needed to re-use it. Luckily the junk yard had a pile of crap 3GT.

Also had to buy some head-bolt washers since I tossed those as well - which need to be re-used.

Also bought a parts tumbler, works great, cleaning up all the ancient hardware.

Engine is starting to look like an engine again.

Also, ALSO! Fuck Milwaukee Tools. A lot of my friends are all about that, and while I'm DeWalt for the power tools (American Company, Assembled in America), I did by the MT key set at Home Depot - of course a month into owning it the 1/2" just pops in half.

Had this been Craftsman or Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight); I could have walked right in the store and they'd have given me a new set. However, HD said they don't do that and I have to email MT and file their warranty claim to get it replaced under the Life Time replacement. F-THAT. That's the same BS that Lowes does with Kobalt. Harbor Freight all the way from now on. Waste of time and money.

Yup, Dyna and a Vintage Triumph 650.

Garbage

Pump pulled, cleaned up and painted. No idea why I'm painting half of this stuff, you'll never see it once installed.

Fasteners are coming out nice. Lots of prep but the paint is holding up under torque procedures.

ERMMMYYYGAWWD - It's looking like an engine again!!

My GT-R wheels are also State Side - in route from Detroit to South Bend. I should have them this week!

Order a T-stat since I'm not paying $24 for Duralast when a Gates is $12 delivered. Debating on a new tensioner , need a prop-valve so I can start messing with the brake lines to delete the ABS. A kit is $185, a Prop is $65 - Hmmmmm PITA but save $120.... HMMMM
Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #23
Corbic
Post Whore!

Whelp was all pumped to get this engine done tonight...

But remember that damn bolt that broke, then the extractor broke, then I ground out to much and punched into a water line... then JB Welded a Stud in..

Whep I needed that hole for the belt tensioner.

Now to start that all over again.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #24
Corbic
Post Whore!

Visually, not a lot of progress made this weekend. However I actually did get a bunch done - including work on the Dyna.

Got that stupid stud all squared away... again.

My GT-R wheels arrived over the course of several days last week. Each in it's own box. USPS thought it was really funny. I had pretty much forgot I ordered them. Overall good condition for the price, but will need to be refinished. I'm open to suggestions on shops/places to get them done at in the tri-state area.

I had also worried that they would not fit. Did a lot of research on spacing, caliper sizes, etc. It pays to be a Gen 1 with the "Smaller" brakes.

Science Bitch!

Although I'm going to get extended lugs and some small spacers

Got the car back on the ground into a roller. Going to take it to the barn so I can make a bigger mess and keep it under roof. Need to do some powerwasher and stuff.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #25
Corbic
Post Whore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lowa26eXYQ
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #26
Corbic
Post Whore!

Builds not dead. Got married, bought a W463, started a new job and roofed the house.... 2018 was Hella busy.

Going to trailer the car to the pull barn to get some progress tonight. Ordered a pile of parts with my Christmas money.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #27
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Congrats dude!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #28
Juucso
Zilvia Junkie

Juucso is on a distinguished road
So after all you are not gay.. Congrats dude!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #29
Corbic
Post Whore!

Thanks guys. She's the bomb.

Also got the poor man's GTR to the old garage. So much Nostalgia. Built the 240 here 12 years ago.

Hmmmm $85 to rent a trailer, $60 to hire a tow and not have to fuck with it.

Grabbed a legit jack finally. So smooth.

Up in the air. Kinda farting around today not sure with what to start on. So much to do.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
Corbic
Post Whore!

Poor man's GTR indeed.

The MR Edition only slightly varies from the VR4.

It was a more bare bones Turbo. Clothe manual seats, standard climate control, no sunroof, no active aero, no dynamic suspension and no aws.

In total it saved ~150lbs but didn't add any power.

Obviously both engines are under rated. We all know the RB26 Dyno's at its claimed crank HP, and the same 6g72tt was rated as 320hp in the US.