Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
jdm538
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
jdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
s14 S14 crank positioning sensor??

i did my manual transmission swap a long time ago on my 98 s14. I used an s13 tranny which does not have the crank positioning sensor on the bellhousing. I have not run a crank positioning sensor, how important is it to have the crank positioning sensor? my car runs fine but i just want to make sure.. thanks
jdm538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Its not that important. I'm not using one either. I think its mainly for the EGR for an OBD2.. I plan to re-install it when I get my 'good' tranny.. but just 'cuz I still have the sensor and its only a hole to drill...

Evan
Old 12-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
90-240sx

Trader Rating: (0)
90-240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm538
i did my manual transmission swap a long time ago on my 98 s14. I used an s13 tranny which does not have the crank positioning sensor on the bellhousing. I have not run a crank positioning sensor, how important is it to have the crank positioning sensor? my car runs fine but i just want to make sure.. thanks
You've been driving without a crank position sensor? is your check engine light on all the time?
90-240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Yes it throws CEL.. but also 'cuz i don't have any EGR anymore.. and for a couple other reasons.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90-240sx
You've been driving without a crank position sensor? is your check engine light on all the time?
Like ^^^ said...you will have a CEL.

And so there's no confusion...there are TWO crank position sensors for the S14 KA...the one on the bellhousing is used for diagnosis of misfire ONLY.

The important one (used for timing and RPM, etc...) is built into the distributor...and is more similar to a CAS on an SR.

- Brian
Old 12-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
jdm538
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
jdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
i didnt know there were two crank positioning sensors, so the other sensor on the bellhousing, is just like having the second O2 sensor its there but doesnt really do much?
jdm538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Close. The crankshaft position sensor resides in the bellhousing and is used for OBD monitoring of misfire only, not needed. Tons of cars no longer have them including every one I've ever touched.

The camshaft position sensor is located within the distributor.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
Close. The crankshaft position sensor resides in the bellhousing and is used for OBD monitoring of misfire only, not needed. Tons of cars no longer have them including every one I've ever touched.

The camshaft position sensor is located within the distributor.
thats weird how nissan changes the names and terms from OBD1 to OBD2. OBD 1 calls it the Crank Positioner Sensor, and then in OBD2 it is changed to the cam shaft positioning sensor.......
Every thing should of stayed OBD 1 it is just soooo much easier to work with.....
Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie
thats weird how nissan changes the names and terms from OBD1 to OBD2. OBD 1 calls it the Crank Positioner Sensor, and then in OBD2 it is changed to the cam shaft positioning sensor.......
Every thing should of stayed OBD 1 it is just soooo much easier to work with.....
No they don't. Every S14 FSM calls it the crank position sensor. 95-98.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
No they don't. Every S14 FSM calls it the crank position sensor. 95-98.
The crank shaft positioner sensor is located in the distributor says so in my FSM for s13 OBD1
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Some pics of what we are talking about for Reference:

Old 12-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #12
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Dont have mine either s13 trans into an s14 car runs great but yes always throws code. its okay though because I dont have the speedo hooked up either heh. As long as the car runs who needs a cas and a speedo??
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
scir16v
Zilvia Member

scir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of light
Do zenki s14's have this sensor?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #14
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by scir16v
Do zenki s14's have this sensor?
Did you read the thread?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #15
scir16v
Zilvia Member

scir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of lightscir16v is a glorious beacon of light
n/m I looked in the fsm. Sorry
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #16
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Gimme your tranny s14db!!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Gimme your tranny s14db!!
I'm sure there are some along Ridgewood that you may like...
Old 12-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Ridgewood?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #19
Al_S14
BANNED

Al_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Al_S14 Send a message via MSN to Al_S14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie
The crank shaft positioner sensor is located in the distributor says so in my FSM for s13 OBD1
its position not positioner... sensor doesnt actualy position anything it jsut reads where its at.people, if we;re going to argue about something lets at least lets use right terminology
Al_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #20
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_S14
its position not positioner... sensor doesnt actualy position anything it jsut reads where its at.people, if we;re going to argue about something lets at least lets use right terminology

Shure..... If it makes you and everyone else happy........ But you still know what I meant.... waste of bandwidth
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #21
nigel1
Zilvia Member

nigel1 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for this thread...

I have a quick question... the cps is on the tranny, but where... I havent looked (sorry) becuase im throwing that code, and I wasn't sure where it was, plus I can never find an s14 FSmanual. would anyone hapen to have any links? thanks!

+0 offset PWNS me
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #22
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
hmm u might want to check the harness connection nigel, im throwing the same code for about a year. considering that the sensor just broke into pieces from weird ass reasons i dont know.. u can feel it behind ur engine.. on top of the bellhousing.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #23
nigel1
Zilvia Member

nigel1 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks man. ill do that.

I was also under the impression that you cant check CEL's unless you have a codereader.. is that correct? (s14 obd2)

+0 offset PWNS me
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #24
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
u dont need a scantool to read codes.... u can turn that little screw knob on ur ecu and read the engine light flashes to figure out the code.. check the fsm for that
Old 12-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #25
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

It's the one in the pictures that s14DB posted... the one going through the top of the bellhousing.. that's the CPS
Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #26
sean350z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
sean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of lightsean350z is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sorry to highjack the thread...but this came up in search....

i'm in the process of disconnecting all harnesses on my KA to prep for removal and am stuck trying to disconnect the crankposition sensor harness and also the starter harness directly in front of the crankposition sensor...

how the hell do i get these out....???
sean350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #27
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Just take the starter off.. and if you look a couple posts off, you'll see how the CPS is bolted on. That should tell you how to get it off.. I had to bend the shield out of the way.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #28
S14DB
AFC #1

There is a lead off the CPS that comes down to between the starter and the slave cyl. to a connector there. you can take off that connector and leave that lead attached.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #29
Jeremy_240_Zenki

Jeremy_240_Zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Old Thread

I know, sorry to revive this, Is there a way to bypass this sensor, I bought an s14 SR20det, and didn't realize till it was too late that they sent me a damn s13 transmission. I just don't want a CEL if i can. Trying to do a real clean swap. Also will my wiring specialties harness mate up with the s13 reverse and neutral sensors / Speed sensors? I just finished cleaning and doing preventative maintenance on the block (Timing/RAS/Belts/Hoses/Seals/ etc) and i'm ready to drop it in the car.
Jeremy_240_Zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #30
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
uhhhhh just drill a hole in the bellhousing. the sensor reads off the flywheel passing by, so i'm not sure how you would bypass that. You'd have to simulate it somehow.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote