Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA No oil pressure after head gasket replacement

Never had an oiling issues before. Oil light stays on and head looks dry save for the assembly lube. Oil at high mark on dip stick.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions besides pulling the engine and replacing the oil pump?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
hmmmmm
mess with the O-ring anywhere?
Wrong head gasket, or gasket on backwards?
Get an oil pressure gauge, mechanical, temporary on it as close to the oil pump as possible

not sure about KA
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #3
wurley
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
wurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I would pull the oil filter off and crank to determine if its the oil pump or something with the head. It's a messy, yet easy way to see.

I've had two no oil situations:
one was oil relocation lines backward
second was oil pan crushed against pickup tube, literally made zero oil pressure.
both were on sr's
Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
yeah sr20 also add pickup tube fell off,
pickup tube o-ring

Actually for LS engines pickup tube O-ring is also a thing
So is the cam gasket (in that area) but I digress

in any case always use mechanical oil pressure gauge to determine pressure,
never rely on electric or visual
and study the Oil-Flow diagram. It starts somewhere, and ends somewhere (rod bearing #1 area is where they end).
It will give clues about where pressure should appear first, second, third, and so on
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Pulled the oil filter and it was nearly empty. Obviously not getting any flow, nevermind pressure.

Took a peek under the car and the pan is domed up in the middle. Thanks to truck driver.

I'm goi beng to drop the pan, push out the dent, and hope that my pick up is fine. Will update when I know something conclusive.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
I'm goi beng to drop the pan, push out the dent, and hope that my pick up is fine. Will update when I know something conclusive.
what motor? a new pickup is cheap. if its a redtop sr20, now would be a great time to upgrade to a blacktop pickup.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

It's an s13 KADE. Nothing special unfortunately.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you 100% sure you got an S13 KA24DE head gasket? The S13 and S14 headgaskets are slightly different...

Just asking the silly questions to check them off of the list here.

pics for reference;

S13

S14

They're inverted in the pics and I don't THINK would cause this but still...
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Update of sorts.

Had to wait forever for a gasket separator to come on the mail. None of the parts stores knew what I was asking for, nevermind having it in stock.

Finally broke the seal, unbolted the pickup and brace. Now I can't get the pan out... I keep seeing people saying it comes right out but I have the worst luck with this cursed engine.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
just use a putty knife to get in there! should be able to come right out lol, whats it stuck on?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
How did you get the pickup off without removing the pan?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor to get more space for the pan to come out, clear the rack and pinion and front subframe
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #13
kennedy8383
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kennedy8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
Are you 100% sure you got an S13 KA24DE head gasket? The S13 and S14 headgaskets are slightly different...

Just asking the silly questions to check them off of the list here.

They're inverted in the pics and I don't THINK would cause this but still...

From what i heard the s14 head gasket can work on s13 Dohc motor. Sometime it could be bad install or somthing damage to cause no oil pressure.
kennedy8383 is offline   Reply With Quote