Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
JEFFSOBOMB
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
JEFFSOBOMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Question JDM Kouki Headlights?

So i'm thinking about swapping my s14 Zenki front end into Kouki, and I need a second opinion on this. I'm ordering the entire JDM front end, which has everything up to the headlights. To my understanding, the lighting for the JDM lights require some mods to get it "street legal" (such as adjusting the projector angle?) Should I just purchase the USDM Pair? I understand either way, there's wiring work, but this way the lighting should be legal. Any insight? Also, for JDM Kouki tails, are they plug and play with US cars or is there extra wiring involved?
I've tried searching on these, but direct insight on this may be more helpful.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
wbarrett48473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The JDM tails are plug and play but don't use all of the usdm bulbs. You can drimel out the hole in the JDM tails to install the extra bulbs if you want.

As far as the fronts go you can either make your own cutoff shields to install or do a HID retrofit with different projectors. Either way requires opening up the headlight which is a pain in the ass.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
nyc240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
nyc240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i have jdm headlights on my s14 no issues with them just aim the beam lower..had a set on my previous s14 aswell lowered the beams to a certain height added hid kit to it and it was good
nyc240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
jdm headlights are not as good as usdm

jdm headlights beam pattern is fucking backwards, correction cannot be made with aiming them lower

installing an hid kit only amplifies the problem, which is why the above poster is an idiot

dont use jdm headlights unless you plan on doing a full disassembly and replace the projector with one that can serve a purpose here in the US

last and most importantly, dont be stupid
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
but they look so cool! Anyway, if you want to be legit buy the kouki euro lights. same look as the jdm ones, correct pattern for US.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
jdm headlights are not as good as usdm

jdm headlights beam pattern is fucking backwards, correction cannot be made with aiming them lower

installing an hid kit only amplifies the problem, which is why the above poster is an idiot

dont use jdm headlights unless you plan on doing a full disassembly and replace the projector with one that can serve a purpose here in the US

last and most importantly, dont be stupid
I need to find that alarm you have that alerts you when someone makes a post about lightning.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Andres_G
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Andres_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFSOBOMB View Post
To my understanding, the lighting for the JDM lights require some mods to get it "street legal" (such as adjusting the projector angle?)

Also, for JDM Kouki tails, are they plug and play with US cars or is there extra wiring involved?
Yes, the cutoff from JDM headlights will be to the left.---------\______ <--something like that. Retrofit some Morimoto H1's in there! and your beam pattern will be to the right ________/-------- Correcto beam pattern FTW.

JDM Kouki Tails use reflectors on the side corner pieces...no bulb in there. I would not suggest "drimeling" a hole just so you can stick a bulb in there. Why fuck with it?
Andres_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
I need to find that alarm you have that alerts you when someone makes a post about lightning.
yeah, only you can explain how you have over 9500 posts?

freak
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
yeah, only you can explain how you have over 9500 posts?

freak

I have no life.

Just wondering though it one were to switch the JDM headlights to a different projector what would you suggest?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
wbarrett48473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_G View Post
JDM Kouki Tails use reflectors on the side corner pieces...no bulb in there. I would not suggest "drimeling" a hole just so you can stick a bulb in there. Why fuck with it?
I did it so I didn't have 2 lights just dangling inside of my trunk, it's a very easy to do and looks just like the USDM when done.

Quote:

I have no life.

Just wondering though it one were to switch the JDM headlights to a different projector what would you suggest?
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/197663-need...-retrofit.html

I used TL with great results

Last edited by wbarrett48473; 06-14-2012 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Add picture of tail lights that have been modified.
wbarrett48473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:

I have no life.

a projector that fits, and has the characteristics that you prefer.

;P
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any opinions on these LED projectors? Or any LED projectors in general?

GIANTLIGHT TRAFFIC SUPPLIES INSTRUMENT CO., LTD. - Product List

Made in Taiwan, kinda have my suspicions already, but you never know.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Any opinions on these LED projectors? Or any LED projectors in general?

GIANTLIGHT TRAFFIC SUPPLIES INSTRUMENT CO., LTD. - Product List

Made in Taiwan, kinda have my suspicions already, but you never know.
dunno. buy and try at your own risk. i already spent too much of my own time and money doing this shit for the past 12+ years, i'm burned out.