Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #91
Backwoodsboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Backwoodsboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
should i contact one of the provided links or can anyone direct me to a place for lips for ssr formula mesh, its 20 bolt and reverse mount lip, 17 in...ive looked but had a hard time locating anything
Backwoodsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #92
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i dunno about you
but racing is not as harsh as normal street drivin
street driving typically involves massive potholes and can often involve neglect, to the point where people drive shit with little or no air in their tires.
when something is welded, its the seam around the weld that is brittle and can break.
I know what you mean, but 37 years of doing it, he says never had an issue, it's when you go to a shitty welder that you run into issues. if it's a proven company then it should be trustworthy.
If the weld is good, it should actually make the wheel stronger at the point of the weld.
Similar to your bones, when you break a bone, the body fills the crack in with more bone, and it makes the bone stronger.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #93
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
this guy is a wonderful welder

Hardly....

i agree sam. if you're going this route, you had better set aside some money to have them xray'ed as an integrity check, possibly send them out for re-forging? i wouldnt feel comfortable just riding on welded wheels
It would be more costly to have a CWI x-ray the welds....

Quote:
i dunno about you

but racing is not as harsh as normal street driving

street driving typically involves massive potholes and can often involve neglect, to the point where people drive shit with little or no air in their tires.

when something is welded, its the seam around the weld that is brittle and can break.

i am not saying the work isnt good or that its not reliable. i am simply saying, what cost to this risk? personally, i'de prefer getting the proper wheel from the get-go and calling it a day. but hey, to each his own. its cool stuff though. but 140mph with a set of welded wheels? dunno about that
It only becomes brittle if it was welded incorrectly. Or if it required post heat treatment and didn't receive any.

Why would you be doing 140mph on the street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
I know what you mean, but 37 years of doing it, he says never had an issue, it's when you go to a shitty welder that you run into issues. if it's a proven company then it should be trustworthy.
If the weld is good, it should actually make the wheel stronger at the point of the weld.
Similar to your bones, when you break a bone, the body fills the crack in with more bone, and it makes the bone stronger.
This is true. But only when it's welded correctly with the correct prep, technique and any post welding treatment (If required).
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #94
Don Nguyen
Zilvia Member

Don Nguyen is making his/her stupidity well-knownDon Nguyen is making his/her stupidity well-knownDon Nguyen is making his/her stupidity well-knownDon Nguyen is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Called Eric Vaughn to see if he could do work on some TE37s, and he said he won't touch mag wheels, due to the materials.

He actually said repairing bends in mag wheels would be very hard as well.
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #95
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
TE37's are made of magnesium???
Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #96
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
one hell of a fire when you hit a curb and spark it
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #97
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
I believe they had a short run of a "Forged MAG" version. The name sounds like they could have been made of Magnesium, not to mention the price (MSRP $1700 for 18x9.5s) and the weight (14lbs for the same size).
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #98
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I thought the forged mags were that dark blue color? Also they were knock offs and not lug nut wheels?
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #99
fightinchunk
Leaky Injector

fightinchunk is an unknown quantity at this point
i bet if you looked on the supra forums you'll find a gold mine. they love widening stock supra wheels... and for good reason: they sessy as hell
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #100
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
what old guys refer to spoked wheels as. my buddys dad still calls newer wheels mags. but im sure because they're forged its a pain in the balls to do.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #101
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
hmmm... anyone want to fill their tires with nitrogen and go drift their 240 with magnesium te-37s into a curb?
sr20sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #102
fightinchunk
Leaky Injector

fightinchunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
hmmm... anyone want to fill their tires with nitrogen and go drift their 240 with magnesium te-37s into a curb?
lol show up at the pearly gates ass backwards on fire... st peter's like wtf were you thinking
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #103
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I had no idea that Weldcraft was so well known. I had them repair some rash on my CR Kais when I first bought them- $80 total to completely redo and smooth the lips for two wheels- they did some really nice work!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #104
wh0aitznic0
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
wh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enoughwh0aitznic0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightinchunk View Post
i bet if you looked on the supra forums you'll find a gold mine. they love widening stock supra wheels... and for good reason: they sessy as hell
Supra wheels are ugly as fuck. :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailandkill View Post
wh0aitznic0 -- has or had a shocker sticker on his car at one point, is asian with a gooey white center

<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Nothing says, 'I'm broke and still trying', like aftermarket steelies.
wh0aitznic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #105
Sugoi_Style
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Sugoi_Style is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, it seems that Japanese manufacturers were skimpin' on the wheel designs back in the early 90's. Perhaps too much spent on R&D making a decent car, unlike the American fare over here in the states...
Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #106
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
Since when is Nitrogen in tires flammable or any more reactive than "air"?

And if you're referring to Magnesium Nitride, go take a Chemistry class, and learn that driving into a curb will not cause this chemical reaction.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #107
Drifting-pedobear
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Drifting-pedobear is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_jdm View Post
since when is nitrogen in tires flammable or any more reactive than "air"?

And if you're referring to magnesium nitride, go take a chemistry class, and learn that driving into a curb will not cause this chemical reaction.

what is scarcasm?!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #108
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting-pedobear View Post
scarcasm?!
according to urban dictionary:

Scarcasm, n. clever but very unkind comments that leave a scar on the recipient. A stronger form of sarcasm that is directed towards someone who is especially sensitive and is permanently "scarred" by the cutting remark.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #109
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaguy240 View Post
what old guys refer to spoked wheels as. my buddys dad still calls newer wheels mags. but im sure because they're forged its a pain in the balls to do.
I've heard guys who are into the "mini truck" scene also defer to general chrome wheels as "mag"
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #110
SidewaysTaco
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
SidewaysTaco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
has anyone ever widened xxrs?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #111
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysTaco View Post
You can't...its like buying ebay intercooler piping and trying to TIG it.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #112
titangts
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
titangts is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

lol it wouldnt be worth the money man..cuz by the time your done. you could have bought some 18x10's or whatever ( depends on brand of course )..and shit now xxr has 18x10.5's left and right.
titangts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #113
SidewaysTaco
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
SidewaysTaco is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i have the 16x8s 002, i want to make the rears x9.5 or 10.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 AM   #114
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Quote:
i have the 16x8s 002, i want to make the rears x9.5 or 10.
Might aswell buy steelies -_-
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 AM   #115
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo View Post
You can't...its like buying ebay intercooler piping and trying to TIG it.
I've actually done that lol, mind you i wasn't the one who purchased it, but yeah it sucked.

And as i stated before: Volk did make magnesium TE37s.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #116
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like to create a wheel widening workshop in the future, I can already imagine the lathe and tools needed to successfully do it.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #117
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Do you actually know what you need to look for in a lathe to do this?

I'm not a machinist but what I have gathered is that you can usually only cut something that's as big as your chuck.
IE 17'' chuck... Will most likely only cut up to 17''....

One of our lathes at work has a 19'' chuck... And it can only hold up to a 19'' rim.
Big chucks are BIG money and weigh a fuck ton...

I think you really need to know your lathes for an endeavor like this... Or you could end up with a lathe that's limited and cost a shit load...
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #118
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Hmm, I would try to fab up some kind of chuck with an old hub or something, that way instead of clamping the outer lip of the wheel (which WOULD require a 17" or bigger chuck), you could bolt the wheel to the chuck as if you were installing it on your car, not sure if it'd work, but in theory why not?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #119
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMyriad View Post
Hmm, I would try to fab up some kind of chuck with an old hub or something, that way instead of clamping the outer lip of the wheel (which WOULD require a 17" or bigger chuck), you could bolt the wheel to the chuck as if you were installing it on your car, not sure if it'd work, but in theory why not?
Generally the distance from the center of the chuck to the bed won't allow it...
Hence why you need a big fuckin chuck.
If the lathe can only handle, say, a 12'' chuck. The lathe will be built to a chuck that size (including the arms stick out). They won't build it so it can later accept a 20'' chuck...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #120
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought about hooking up an old hub, and I envisioned a radial saw ( w/ a thin metal cutting blade ) on a pivoting arm that would lean towards the barrel and slice it. the assembly would have to be welded and squared to perfection to make sure it was true, but I like the idea of building something that will work.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote