Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM   #31
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
sorry for all the noob question, but do you do this so you can go lower?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #32
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You do this so you can have more wheel clearance at full lock with really wide wheels/tires.
(Full lock means the steering wheel is turned all the way, Im sure one of you would ask)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #33
sonomadrifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
sonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the roughsonomadrifter is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Ok yea lets move on.

Does anyone have tubs with the factory fuse box in place? I would love to get this done to get rid of my rubbing issues, but I don't feel like relocating my harness.

I didn't feel like it either, although I kinda wish I did now. IDK, didn't have the time.

It works but I had to cut the hell out of the box to get it to fit, other than that its fine. I'll redo it when the motors out next winter.

Stephen: I was worried that because I didn't cut the frame above the wheel, as you did, it would rub there again but the tire hasn't touched it yet. Getting rid of those old springs was a good idea I guess.

WHEN IS DRIFTWATER?!?!?
sonomadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #34
turbo_dreams
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
turbo_dreams is making a name for him/her selfturbo_dreams is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If you guys need pix of an s13 with tubs just look up my threads/posts, I'd post the pix but I'm on my blackberry and in class. I'm surprised so many people have tubs. If anyone doesn't want to relocate their fuse boxes, you can tuck it under the battery tray and make a sealed box for it out of aluminum.

www.tm-spl.com
Kouki's & some apple juice.
turbo_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #35
ch1873857
Nissanaholic!

ch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the roughch1873857 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ch1873857
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterps13 View Post
You do this so you can have more wheel clearance at full lock with really wide wheels/tires.
(Full lock means the steering wheel is turned all the way, Im sure one of you would ask)
full lock is also limited by the frame rails themselves. most tubs are merely for aesthetics. most poeple that run tubs dont even really need them. a really low offset wheel and fenders will do in a lot of cases. when someone asked why my buddy did it. he said, "because i fucking can" hes running an SSR dish wheel like eurolines and viennas but even then probably didnt need it. its an extreme amount of work if their done right. i completely welded his, he even mudded them up and made them smooth. tack welding and seem sealing .... the strut towers are key in structural rigity in the front end. why you would puss out and use seam sealer is beyond me.. dont cheap out and dont get lazy.
ch1873857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #36
joecar
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
joecar is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
finished them up last week, thanks for all the responses it really gave me some good ideas

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #37
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Are those summit tubs?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #38
joecar
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
joecar is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yep there summit, but they suck. I just scrapped the use of there locking system for the pinch seam on the skirts and just cut them up and fabbed everything.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #39
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecar View Post
yep there summit, but they suck. I just scrapped the use of there locking system for the pinch seam on the skirts and just cut them up and fabbed everything.

they look good, anymore pics? Specifically from underneath and possibly from the engine bay side?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #40
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
msanchez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
this is probably a dumb question, so humor me.
are you guys using aluminum or steel? summit lists tubs made out of both,
but i assume trailer fenders are aluminum?
msanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #41
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanchez View Post
this is probably a dumb question, so humor me.
are you guys using aluminum or steel? summit lists tubs made out of both,
but i assume trailer fenders are aluminum?
Steel.

The tubs have to be steel so that they can be welded to the chassis. (also steel)
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #42
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

^thanks man.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #43
DRIFT-ELITE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
DRIFT-ELITE is on the path to ruinDRIFT-ELITE is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip&Sliden 240 View Post

imma be heading back to Pasco later this year...last i went i couldnt find anyone that was drifting out there and i couldnt find any good spots...

my cousin took me to a spot out by the hills/mountains but it was pretty wack only good for circles, figure 8's and a sow 2nd gear entrance..
Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #44
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post
gonna drop this here too

legit pre-fabbed beadrolled gt-fabrications tubs. yeah
Now that is how it should be done!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #45
turbo_dreams
Zilvia FREAK!

turbo_dreams is making a name for him/her selfturbo_dreams is making a name for him/her self

www.tm-spl.com
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #46
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

mtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura about
weakkkkkkkkkkk
mtx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #47
blkmrkt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
blkmrkt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i just finished my tubs and was wondering where you guys were mounting your coolant reservoirs and fuse boxes??
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #48
turbo_dreams
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmrkt View Post
i just finished my tubs and was wondering where you guys were mounting your coolant reservoirs and fuse boxes??
Behind my bumper/fender. In a air tight plexiglass box of course.

www.tm-spl.com
Old 06-11-2010, 02:58 AM   #49
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

I'm in the process of installing my tubs....they're a lot of work, and I'm not an expert welder...but I'm really happy with the progress....now if Lincoln would just send me the damn adapter so I can run big spools of wire, I could finish them up. As for the coolant res, prolly best just to fab a new one. I rewired my chassis so I can't comment on the fuse boxes.

I'll post pics once they're all smoothed and prettied up.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #50
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by murda-c View Post
trailer fenders! lol.
Yeah, its so much easier to take something thats already made.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #51
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
Yeah, its so much easier to take something thats already made.
plus Summits are so thin...the trailer fender I got were nice 16 (18 maybe) gauge steel...
Old 06-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #52
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
what tubs are those? thats pretty hot I like it!
The two red cars I'm assuming you're asking about are the Exceed Moat s14 engine bays.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #53
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
Ok yea lets move on.

Does anyone have tubs with the factory fuse box in place? I would love to get this done to get rid of my rubbing issues, but I don't feel like relocating my harness.
Wouldn't recommend it. Take the opportunity to relocate the fusebox inside the cabin, or replace it with a smaller fusebox and separate relay panel. Save weight, space, and you'll lose that huge fucking mess of wiring that goes over the driver's side wheel and under the core support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
Steel.

The tubs have to be steel so that they can be welded to the chassis. (also steel)
Yup, common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post
plus Summits are so thin...the trailer fender I got were nice 16 (18 maybe) gauge steel...
16 or 18ga steel is fine. It's the curved shape of the steel that gives it it's strength, not the thickness. I used .030" 4130 steel on mine.

I had the "standard" curved tubs when I was SR (I ran 18x10 +0 with 245/40/18s and rubbed all over, back and front) and made a few sets for other people, but didn't have enough room for the intake tube/filter next to the charge piping because they came so far forward. Decided to do something new with the RB25 setup, came out awesome... one of the most complimented parts of the car.

Started by mounting the wheel/tire, turning to full lock, and giving myself another 10* and 1" of space in front (that's about how much I had on top at full compression). Fab'd a 1/2" sch 40 square tube structure and used thin-wall steel (.030") to fully box it - extremely strong finished product, definitely stronger than the strut tower->firewall section of the frame.

Measure twice, cut once, swear, debate cutting again, use helping hand to nail fitment:

Cardboard template:

Bare metal:

Inside pass wheel well (after some evercoat z-grip, before rubberized undercoat):

Mid painting:

Finished:

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #54
altalti
Zilvia Junkie

altalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura aboutaltalti has a spectacular aura about
WOW!!! gsxr that looks amazing.
altalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #55
Exclusive Nights

Exclusive Nights is an unknown quantity at this point
wow that looks really good man....
Exclusive Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #56
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by altalti View Post
WOW!!! gsxr that looks amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusive Nights View Post
wow that looks really good man....
Thanks guys. Credit to Impuse Engineering in HB for giving me the idea, they had similar tubs on their fastback, but it wasn't totally boxed.

I'm concentrating my efforts on my LSx FD and tentatively sold the RB25 so the S14 shell is currently for sale! Fully seam welded with tubs in front and Dmax widebody in the back, properly done Cheeeeaaappppppp ~

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #57
BMWfanaticE46

BMWfanaticE46 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know why, but I love the look of tubbed fenders, aside from their obvious functionality.
BMWfanaticE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #58
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

Im making my tubs right now for my s14, and i cant figure out how to make the skirt (flat metal closest to the hot pipe on the driver side and cold pipe on the passenger) meet up flush with the frame rails. I have the top of the tub sitting in about the same spot on the shock towers as all the other pictures ive seen, but im still coming up about an inch short of frame if i were to run the skirt straight down.. I wouldnt mind this, but there is no flat surface to weld to until you hit the frame. can anyone tell me what they did? my only idea is to angle the skirt toward the inside of the car, but that wont look right at all. any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #59
stephen-knight
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
stephen-knight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanchez View Post
Im making my tubs right now for my s14, and i cant figure out how to make the skirt (flat metal closest to the hot pipe on the driver side and cold pipe on the passenger) meet up flush with the frame rails. I have the top of the tub sitting in about the same spot on the shock towers as all the other pictures ive seen, but im still coming up about an inch short of frame if i were to run the skirt straight down.. I wouldnt mind this, but there is no flat surface to weld to until you hit the frame. can anyone tell me what they did? my only idea is to angle the skirt toward the inside of the car, but that wont look right at all. any help would be appreciated.
You probably either need to widen the tub or just angle the skirt. i'm pretty sure most people on here had to angle it out a little to make it fit unless they have wide tubs with ugly corners near the shock tower haha
stephen-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #60
msanchez
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen-knight View Post
You probably either need to widen the tub or just angle the skirt. i'm pretty sure most people on here had to angle it out a little to make it fit unless they have wide tubs with ugly corners near the shock tower haha
ya I was trying to stay away from the ugly corners up at the shock towers..
I'm waiting on more sheet metal to see what angling it will look like. That'll probably be what ends up happening.