Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
cadenginoplos

Trader Rating: (0)
cadenginoplos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP Excessive tire wear

So about 1,500 miles ago I got an alignment and new front tires because I neglected to get one after I installed my coilovers and my tires were shot. I asked for a stock alignment and to zero out the toe in the front. They did that fine but the caster is wayy different in each side, it's like 8° and 6° and they said they couldnt adjust it. These front tires are already bald on the insides and I will need new ones AGAIN soon. Im running a federal 595 ss lowered on fortune 500 coils and it is daily driven with occasional spirited driving. I just need some ideas on why I'm burning through front tires so fast?

And I dont think it is the tires, I'm running about -2.7° of camber in the rear and the toe is f*** up with way more life left and the fronts show tire wear that looks very similar to extreme camber wear. Could it be due to a stretched setup (not extreme only a 215 on a 9 wide) or does my car not hold alignment?

Im pretty new to working on cars and I'm trying to teach my slef stuff, so if anyone could help I would really appreciate it!

Picture for wear pattern references

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
cadenginoplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
so...… my first question is, do you have adjustable tension rods in the front?
2* difference in caster SHOULD cause a noticeable pull in that direction.
if you plan on drifting, you want a "bent" type tension rod
like these ones from PBM
https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/.../TENRS13O.html

If you dgaf about drifting, a straight tension rod will be fine
https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ring/TENR.html

you also said your rear toe is fucked up? might need adjustable toe arms in the rear, and whenever you get coilovers and lower an s-chassis, you'll need adjustable RUCAs as well.

once you've got these things, THEN, get an alignment and they should be able to bring you back within a reasonable spec.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
cadenginoplos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
like these ones from PBM

you also said your rear toe is fucked up? might need adjustable toe arms in the rear, and whenever you get coilovers and lower an s-chassis, you'll need adjustable RUCAs as well.

once you've got these things, THEN, get an alignment and they should be able to bring you back within a reasonable spec.
Quote:
like these ones from PBM

I only have rucas and coils so I will definitely have to invest in some tension and toe arms. The pull isn't bad at all, it really is barely noticable. And would the caster be causing all of the tire wear? Because there is 0 toe and only a degree of camber in the front, and if anything I would expect the rear tires to be completely wrecked first because the toe is .2 and -.8

But I really appreciate the help!

Old 04-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
a caster pull can definitely affect tire wear. if the car is pulling to one side, its scrubbing the tires (dragging them laterally across the road) as you drive straight. Get some tension rods for sure, and rear toe arms if you need em to get back to zero toe in the rear (personally I prefer 0 toe in the rear, but about 1/16" toe IN, in front), then get an alignment.

due to the excessive wear, those tires may need to be replaced soon tho.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
cadenginoplos

Alright I'll definitely have to get some

I really appreciate the help

Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
I'm experiencing similar tire wear on my s13
i'm on federal tires too as well as PBM coilovers and Godspeed tension arms in the front
I'm strongly considering investing in more adjustable suspension arms in order to find tune my suspension and avoiding shredding tires
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atill93 View Post
i'm experiencing similar tire wear on my s13
i'm on federal tires too as well as pbm coilovers and godspeed tension arms in the front
i'm strongly considering investing in more adjustable suspension arms in order to find tune my suspension and avoiding shredding tires
thank you for sharing this with the class. Please put your head down on the desk till the end of the day.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
thank you for sharing this with the class. Please put your head down on the desk till the end of the day.
thank you teacher. yes sir
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A little late here, but next time put front toe slightly positive, as when the car moves through the suspension travel, people get in, or whatever, it will tend to toe out.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayNLow View Post
A little late here, but next time put front toe slightly positive, as when the car moves through the suspension travel, people get in, or whatever, it will tend to toe out.
Define “positive toe” please. Do you mean a slight toe OUT in front? A slight toe IN???

Quote:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Define “positive toe” please. Do you mean a slight toe OUT in front? A slight toe IN???
Positive has always meant toe in.

Obviously with castor being so different from side to side, there are other issues at play other than just toe for his issue.