Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 AM   #1
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
Oil Cooler Setup

Okay, so I need some help finishing up my sr oil cooler setup. I've currently got the Tomei N2 oil block adapter, which replaced the sandwich plate that came with the Greddy oil cooler setup that I purchased a long time ago. Now, I'd like to relocate my oil filter and complete the setup. Would all I need to purchase now is a relocating kit? If so, what kit do you guys recommend? I'd like to keep my s13 filter size since I've got a bunch of s13 sr20det Veruspeed oil filters that I stocked up on a long time ago. Any help is appreciated.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I’d suggest a thermostatic relocation kit. I used both an Earl’s oil filter relocation mount and a thermostatic control mounted on the frame rail and the oil filter behind the passenger headlight.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
So, I spoke to my friend who builds sr's and rb's at his shop. He told me that most people that run oil coolers along with a relocation kit on the stock oil pump don't realize that they need to make up the oil pressure loss, that the stock pump is not able to produce. So, I will be removing the Tomei oil block, and running the oil cooler straight to the sandwich plate, without relocating my oil filter.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good on ya for getting the right help. i think people that run certain (cooler) setups dont think about the increased capacity and what that does to your pump and pressure.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
wtf? why would the stock pump NOT be able to produce enough pressure?

I could understand a small drop in psi right when the thermostatic plate opens, but your concern is oil pressure IN THE BLOCK, not as much in the cooler. As long as you have consistent psi through the bearings and journals, piston squirters and cams, the trade off of having cool oil is more than worth the benefit.

i'm not sure who your engine builder is, but I've yet to hear of an instance where someone wrecked a bearing or starved a motor because of the pressure drop of running a (assuming they didn't have the lines backwards) oil cooler or filter relocation kit on an sr20

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
if youre serious about being concerned over loss of oil pressure due to a oil cooler, either shim your existing oil pump or upgrade to a gti-r or s15 pump.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/t...p-for-sr20det/

https://motoiq.com/oil-pump-blueprinting/1/

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
A healthy SR and oil pump should have no issues with an oil cooler. In fact, adding said oil cooler will prolong the life of your engine bearings. These motors run notoriously hot and like to eat bearings for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd only use a thermostatic sandwich plate on a street car.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
wtf? why would the stock pump NOT be able to produce enough pressure?

I could understand a small drop in psi right when the thermostatic plate opens, but your concern is oil pressure IN THE BLOCK, not as much in the cooler. As long as you have consistent psi through the bearings and journals, piston squirters and cams, the trade off of having cool oil is more than worth the benefit.

i'm not sure who your engine builder is, but I've yet to hear of an instance where someone wrecked a bearing or starved a motor because of the pressure drop of running a (assuming they didn't have the lines backwards) oil cooler or filter relocation kit on an sr20
He's not my engine builder, just a friend that owns a shop in Texas, who has built quite a lot of sr's and rb's. I'm not saying that he's the end all be all when it comes to oil pressure knowledge, but I trust him enough to take his word on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
if youre serious about being concerned over loss of oil pressure due to a oil cooler, either shim your existing oil pump or upgrade to a gti-r or s15 pump.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/t...p-for-sr20det/

https://motoiq.com/oil-pump-blueprinting/1/
He actually did suggest that I run another oem Nissan oil pump (can't recall which one), but I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking apart my motor to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
A healthy SR and oil pump should have no issues with an oil cooler. In fact, adding said oil cooler will prolong the life of your engine bearings. These motors run notoriously hot and like to eat bearings for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Well, I'm definitely doing to run the oil cooler. The only difference now is that I'm leaving the filter on the thermostatic sandwich plate that I have. My car is on air suspension anyhow, and you gotta go below to drain the oil, so the filter relocation is negligible, in terms of convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
I'd only use a thermostatic sandwich plate on a street car.
I've got the Trust one, which is going to replace the Tomei oil block.