Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Over 500tq clutch users

Looking for feed back from those making at least 600hp 500tq in their SR 240.
Please tell me what clutch you have and what you like and what you dislike. As well as what type of driving you do.

Before you say search I have. And posts are old that I found and filled with 300hp cars. So I'm looking for what people are using now at these power levels and what they like/dislike. Please be honest.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
All I see is a CM twin disk.

Not remembering much else.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Looking for feed back from those making at least 600hp 500tq in their SR 240.
Please tell me what clutch you have and what you like and what you dislike. As well as what type of driving you do.

Before you say search I have. And posts are old that I found and filled with 300hp cars. So I'm looking for what people are using now at these power levels and what they like/dislike. Please be honest.

Thanks.
I've built a few high HP SR20's my all time favorite clutch is the OSGiken TR Twin Disk with Dampened clutch disks. EXTREMELY streetable, pedal pressure isn't killer it's a very nice overall clutch. on the plus side you'll also get the mad JDM multiplate jingle. rated at right around 640tq so gives you a TINY bit amount of headroom.

any ORC Twin Disk is good they hold plenty of torque, pricing is right around the same as OSGiken, but OSGiken has an office state side which means they'll have more support.

your other option would be a JWT Flywheel and a Southbend Clutch for 350Z. the Aluminum 350Z flywheel uses a 250mm clutch disk area with both the SR20 and the Z33 clutch patterns drilled on to it. so you pair that up with a Southbend Six puck clutch and you'll be in business. however your pedal pressure will be pretty stiff so make sure you re-enforce your pedal bracket and fork.

ATS makes solid clutches too, Skyline guys love them but they are unsprung so they are harsh, also if doing a gearbox swap (which at 500tq i imagine you are) if you have engagement issues you'll be on your own so don't do those.

Excedy Twins I've made slip before at 440tq at the wheels so beware of those.

and as usual if you need help with any of them or questions feel free to let me know i can hook you up. I'm currently testing an ACT on my SR20VET so I'll let you know if it can hold the 500tq not sure if it'll handle it haha.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
I've built a few high HP SR20's my all time favorite clutch is the OSGiken TR Twin Disk with Dampened clutch disks. EXTREMELY streetable, pedal pressure isn't killer it's a very nice overall clutch. on the plus side you'll also get the mad JDM multiplate jingle. rated at right around 640tq so gives you a TINY bit amount of headroom.

any ORC Twin Disk is good they hold plenty of torque, pricing is right around the same as OSGiken, but OSGiken has an office state side which means they'll have more support.

your other option would be a JWT Flywheel and a Southbend Clutch for 350Z. the Aluminum 350Z flywheel uses a 250mm clutch disk area with both the SR20 and the Z33 clutch patterns drilled on to it. so you pair that up with a Southbend Six puck clutch and you'll be in business. however your pedal pressure will be pretty stiff so make sure you re-enforce your pedal bracket and fork.

ATS makes solid clutches too, Skyline guys love them but they are unsprung so they are harsh, also if doing a gearbox swap (which at 500tq i imagine you are) if you have engagement issues you'll be on your own so don't do those.

Excedy Twins I've made slip before at 440tq at the wheels so beware of those.

and as usual if you need help with any of them or questions feel free to let me know i can hook you up. I'm currently testing an ACT on my SR20VET so I'll let you know if it can hold the 500tq not sure if it'll handle it haha.

From what I have seen the OS Giken is only rated to 450TQ. Is this not accurate?

Are you currently testing a ACT twin disk or a regular single act?

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
From what I have seen the OS Giken is only rated to 450TQ. Is this not accurate?

Are you currently testing a ACT twin disk or a regular single act?

Thanks for the reply
OSGiken has many models, they have one to hold 600+ they even have a 1100TQ rated one.

currently using an ACT Single. I had a subaru break 520tq at the wheels on their HD6 puck so we shall see what the Sr20 holds.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Last time I talked to the OsGiken office state side they were all about helping me until I told them my application was an OsGiken clutch for my sr20 that I had purchased from OsGiken Japan. I received a reply of: "Sorry since we don't offer that clutch stateside, and you must have bought it grey market, we cannot help you any further with questions for this clutch." Real cool..

Aside from that nonsense OsGiken make the best clutches imo.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have an Ogura 709d twin disc that holds like 700 ftlbs. I think their naming convention is like that...

Its discontinued, but Rhdjapan was able to get the part from Ogura.... They have 3 or 4 disc plates and carbons...

Either way, RHDJapan does a good job on ordering the stuff.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
candyred_240sx is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I run a act twin disc on my sr22vet making 667whp / 560 tq and it holds the power no problem.

However I really don't like the clutch and plan to try a os giken twin. Clutch pedal pressure and engagement is brutal and the chattering on decel is really bad. Ran a act 6 puck before the twin disc, it was much nicer but couldn't hold the power.
candyred_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #9
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

I appreciate the feedback on some clutches.
I'm honestly not really interested in any of the 7.25 mini twins. They are too harsh and ruin transmissions.
If a clutch is not longer available or not available in the states that doesn't really appeal to me either.
Finding that right clutch is the hardest part of the car. Went thru several on my Talom before I found the one I like.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback on some clutches.
I'm honestly not really interested in any of the 7.25 mini twins. They are too harsh and ruin transmissions.
If a clutch is not longer available or not available in the states that doesn't really appeal to me either.
Finding that right clutch is the hardest part of the car. Went thru several on my Talom before I found the one I like.
Then i think you have an Answer, JWT FLywheel with a Southbend 350Z Clutch is going to be what you want. both made in the US and plenty of Z33 guys holding down 600ft/lbs on those clutches. I can give you a deal on the setup if you'd like.

-Juan

Old 10-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Last time I talked to the OsGiken office state side they were all about helping me until I told them my application was an OsGiken clutch for my sr20 that I had purchased from OsGiken Japan. I received a reply of: "Sorry since we don't offer that clutch stateside, and you must have bought it grey market, we cannot help you any further with questions for this clutch." Real cool..

Aside from that nonsense OsGiken make the best clutches imo.
I've spoken to OSGiken about this and their reasoning is honestly the same as mine. I've helped A TON of people with their parts, what works what doesn't etc etc. only to have them go "look for the best deal" then come back to me months later that they are having issues. Keep in mind these are guys that bought nothing from me, contributed zero to our living expenses and cost of doing business. So I refuse to help them, i politely tell them to call the company which they purchased their parts from.

I have no problem at all bending over backwards for my customers, and making sure you guys are 100% content. this goes for anything from OEM parts to a full on build. I've been on log me in sessions and face time with customers before it's not uncommon to help them out with their situations. Because they support our company and keep our doors open. However when you go out looking for the best deal and not purchase from me why should we take time our of our day and busy schedule to provide service and support to someone who doesn't support our business?

Same principle goes to OSGiken USA, it cost them money to keep their doors open state side and support USA customers. when you bypass them and purchase directly through RHDjapan or companies of that sort you are providing zero support to the USA branch. (this is part of the reason HKS USA closed down back in 2006) I know it sounds mean, probably selfish but it's true. we cannot keep wasting our time providing service and support to consumers who don't support our business. I loose OSGiken & ORC sales to RHDJapan 99% of the time due to the price difference but all of those customers have zero state side support.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
I don't think ORC has a US store do they? I also ordered my rebuild through RHD....
Old 10-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Over 500tq clutch users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
I've spoken to OSGiken about this and their reasoning is honestly the same as mine.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from. But from the way the guy made it sound I wouldn't have been able to buy an sr twin disc from OSG Usa anyways because they "do not offer this clutch in USA".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Sorry to bump a old thread, I am looking to run a JWT flywheel with 350z clutch but can't seem to find a JWT flywheel for sale. Does anyone know another flywheel that will work with a 350z clutch? or the best clutch option on a sr20 making 600+ tq? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
May want to reach out to JWT or Bardabe/Juan @ Fontana. Last I spoke to him (try to talk to him semi regularly), he could get you one.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
candyred_240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
May want to reach out to JWT or Bardabe/Juan @ Fontana. Last I spoke to him (try to talk to him semi regularly), he could get you one.
Hey man, appreciate the info. I should have mentioned I talked with JWT and they have no stock and don't plan to make it until next fall. I emailed Juan, hoping he has better news for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I sent him a text. Fingers crossed he can come up with something.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Just sent you a text. Might be SOL
Old 03-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
slider2828
Post Whore!

Why not go with Fidanza and RPS Max? I think those will handle it...
Old 03-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Why not go with Fidanza and RPS Max? I think those will handle it...
RPS Max won’t handle 500. I made 360 on an old setup and it started slipping a bit with sticky tires and a prepped surface. Drag racing that is. You may be able to skate by in a Motorsport with less drivetrain shock.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #21
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
what are the American muscle guys running? i see way more than this at the drag strip regularly...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
what are the American muscle guys running? i see way more than this at the drag strip regularly...
Automatics.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #23
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yeah probably.... why not go triple plate stuff... Fidanza or Act? Maybe ask Fidanza to sponsoor
Old 03-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #24
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
American muscle also have the luxury of having huge flywheels with large surface areas. We are limited to what we can squeeze in the bell housing. A 350Z flywheel and clutch setup would be a good place to start with an SR transmission. I have a twin disk Exedy and it holds my power levels fine. However, I do have to slip it pretty badly to prevent bogging at the line. Hoping a tune/launch control will correct that. It is extremely hard to slip a twin.

And as Brndck stated, all the fast and modern guys are running autos.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
looks like a lot of the same brands are used with them too doing a google search...i had a talk a long time ago with a clutch rebuilder who advised he can replace the clutch material with things like felt, Kevlar etc for better grip...not sure if anyone has experience with things like this not off the shelf too...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:01 AM   #26
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I’m not making over 500tq but I have the Spec Stage 3+ on my SR and it’s been great so far.

It’s full face disc that’s sprung. Pedal feel is good and it hooks and hold very well for me.

Think it rated for 900tq.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote