Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
gibygreen

Trader Rating: (0)
gibygreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deciding on my 1jz swap, Advice needed!

Hello everyone! I apologize if this is in the wrong discussion, as this is my first post.

So, I've been thinking about how I could build myself a fast, well handling car to just enjoy. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is the 240sx, and I really love the s14 styling so I think that's what i'll be choosing for my chassis. But my issue is with the swap I have in mind, I'd really love to put a 1jz or LS1 in the car, but preferrably a 1jz as ever since I bought my cummins I've had a bit of a lover affair with straight sixes.

My main concern with the 1jz is VVT-I or non VVT-I. I've read quite a few posts I could find about it but really didn't come up with anything conclusive. I'm looking to make somewhere around 450-500hp, But which one is easiest/most affordable for a first-timer to build and tune myself? I don't have anywhere locally or nearby that sells JDM engines so, VVTI or non the price is roughly the same. $1300~

And also, what is the best way to tune these engines? With affordability in mind that is. Thanks! -Levi
gibygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
How old are you, how much disposable income do you have per month & how much do you have saved up now. Let's start with that.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
gibygreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
How old are you, how much disposable income do you have per month & how much do you have saved up now. Let's start with that.
18, and Monthly income is sporadic, I buy and sell cars so it depends on what i'm working on. And currently I've got about $1,800 but I'm in no hurry, and I should come up with some more soon. This is just going to be a side project.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
1jz swap is at least 7k, for stock. Just the motor set with an r154 is almost 4k. THen you need wiring, clutch, fuel lines, exhaust work, driveshaft etc. thats just stock.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #5
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This sounds like a wishlist.

But I'll play along.

Go vvti.

Also, spending money on putting a cd09 on it would be better than buying an r154 for it.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
gibygreen

Yeah I didn't plan on buying an r154, they're quite expensive. That was my reason for not going LS. I've already got an ls motor that needs a rebuild but buying a 5-speed for it that wont break makes the 1jz a cheaper option. But it's mostly because I'd rather have a 1jz.

I planned on using an AR-5 from a solstice, would the cd09 be easier to use, and is it stronger?

Last edited by gibygreen; 05-30-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibygreen View Post
18, and Monthly income is sporadic, I buy and sell cars so it depends on what i'm working on. And currently I've got about $1,800 but I'm in no hurry, and I should come up with some more soon. This is just going to be a side project.
you're eighteen years old buy a Bucket seat, Z32 brake swap with good pads fluid & lines, some nice control arms (something in the same ball park of quality as SPL) a good set of coilovers and get some seat time. worry about a swap in 3-5 years from now when you are almost done with college and have real seat time in. in the mean time keep the KA alive and just have fun.

however, if you';d like me to play along how long did it take you to save up those $1,800? also please answer my question how much disposable income do you have per month? "monthly income is sporatic" to me sounds like you have about $2.17 a month to spend on your car. so let's get that out of the way.

Review Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
gibygreen

Honestly, That was kinda my intentions, to buy the car first and deal with making the chassis stronger and repainting it if necessary and just driving it with the stock drivetrain while i accumulate enough parts to do the swap.

The $1,800 was probably about a month, between graduation gifts, selling old tires/wheels, dirtbike, just random stuff I don't need anymore. Though i've spent a lot of that on stuff for my truck, so the 1,800 is what i'm left with. Per month I'd say $500-800 is a safe bet. If I sell the 66 rambler in the next two weeks or so, that'll be about 1500-1700 this month but of course, I've got to save a lot of that money to buy another car/parts. Though the drag car may take up a bit of my extra money.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Honestly, That was kinda my intentions, to buy the car first and deal with making the chassis stronger and repainting it if necessary and just driving it with the stock drivetrain while i accumulate enough parts to do the swap.

The $1,800 was probably about a month, between graduation gifts, selling old tires/wheels, dirtbike, just random stuff I don't need anymore. Though i've spent a lot of that on stuff for my truck, so the 1,800 is what i'm left with. Per month I'd say $500-800 is a safe bet. If I sell the 66 rambler in the next two weeks or so, that'll be about 1500-1700 this month but of course, I've got to save a lot of that money to buy another car/parts. Though the drag car may take up a bit of my extra money.
okay so let's go with $600/month

that means in a perfect world if NOTHING goes wrong it'll take you about a year to save up enough funds to install a properly driving 1JZ assuming you have no hurtles. building LSX's gets expensive really quickly. Machinining, parts, tools, tuning, etc etc

or you can take those $600/month to maintain the KA, fix small things here and there that could possibly break over time and go driving.

driving a couple track days a month in my opinion will get you much more fun, less stress and better use of your money than a year and a half of your car sitting int he garage, wasting weekends and possibly getting frustrated / desperate to get your car running cutting corners and digging yourself into a deeper hole. just my $0.02

Review Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
1jz swap is at least 7k, for... just stock.
But he wants 500hp and has $1800
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
That's why I mentioned that.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Going LS the trans is just as expensive
Old 05-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
gibygreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
okay so let's go with $600/month
..driving a couple track days a month in my opinion will get you much more fun, less stress and better use of your money than a year and a half of your car sitting int he garage, wasting weekends and possibly getting frustrated / desperate to get your car running cutting corners and digging yourself into a deeper hole. just my $0.02
You make a good point. It will more than likely take me quite some time, and I'd get more use out of a KA. But if I did come up with enough money, which 1jz would be the better choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
400hp would be the ideal for the street I think, but I would like the ability to turn it up at the track If I so choose. And yes, I've only got $1800 at the moment, but I'm in no hurry to get started. I'll obviously need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Going LS the trans is just as expensive
Aren't AR-5's Like $600, and a T56 is somwhere in the $1800-2000 range?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
bardabe
Post Whore!

Quote:
You make a good point. It will more than likely take me quite some time, and I'd get more use out of a KA. But if I did come up with enough money, which 1jz would be the better choice?
I would personally say VVTi 1JZ with Z33 transmission fuck the R154 truck shifting transmission overpriced and shit feeling transmission. same thing with the T56 it feels like it belongs in a silverado rather than a sports car.

VVTi 1JZ, Collins adapter, Clutch masters twin disk kit, AEM Infiniti, Future fab manifold, & an S252SX-E

Review Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Don't waste your money or time working on cars. Take that 1800, go enjoy being 18, smang some girls, get a useful degree and invest the rest.

Spending $$$ on cars while in school was cool and all, but if I had to do it again, I would dump all my money in investments and enjoying my lifestyle.

5-600 a month will get you to all of 1 track day.........and that does not include consumables (gas, brakes, tires, food, travel, etc). By the time you spend all your money on just maintenance, you are left with enough for a blow pop.....

Get a beater Civic, read up lots, beat off to a 2JZ, gather knowledge, hang around the race track, etc so when you do have a real job and time, you can jump into it head first with disposable income, time and knowledge (and have no school debt).

Off my soapbox: VVTi 2JZ. They are even cheaper than the 1Z and listen to everything Bardabe says and profit.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote