Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #331
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
I think the SR20DET valve springs can be used on the P12 head, its not the same as the P11 for sure.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #332
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'll either be keeping the stock P12 springs or going Supertech. Not going to reuse my DET springs, but I appreciate the info.

Was more so wondering if the stock P12 springs/valves will handle 9k with the rev friendly N1 cams.

THESE guys seem to think it will do 9k alright. Would be nice to save $400 on springs.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #333
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Also, anyone know where I can find P12 valve seals?

The part number is supposedly 13207-8H600.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #334
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/part_d...img=130A%20001
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #335
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
I'll either be keeping the stock P12 springs or going Supertech. Not going to reuse my DET springs, but I appreciate the info.

Was more so wondering if the stock P12 springs/valves will handle 9k with the rev friendly N1 cams.

THESE guys seem to think it will do 9k alright. Would be nice to save $400 on springs.
Supertech only makes springs for the P11 head not the P12.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #336
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Alright, so I'm probably just going to keep the stock springs. Reading MotoIQ's build of their land speed record SR15VET, they used the stock P12 springs and claim they're some of the best OEM springs they've ever seen. They're revving to 8.6k with the 20v cams too. So I should be fine at 9k with the softer ramp up N1 cams.

As for the valve seals, I've seen that site before but when you inquire it lists them as discontinued. So hopefully I can find another engine's valve seals that match or I guess I'll just use the ones in it. I just wanted to be proactive and replace them now.

EDIT: NSX valve seals might work, they're also 5.5mm stem valves. Just need to measure the OD of the guides.

https://www.supertechperformance.com...ec=234&em=4975

Last edited by LuckyX2; 03-09-2016 at 07:27 AM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #337
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

I can use the pulley from the VE so I don't have to buy the timing pin relocation kit right? It's just that if I use the VE pulley, I'll need the oil pump collar spacer where as if I use the DE pulley, I don't need the spacer, right?

And is there any preference on water neck adapters? Mazworx? Taarks? Autotech?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #338
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
I can use the pulley from the VE so I don't have to buy the timing pin relocation kit right? It's just that if I use the VE pulley, I'll need the oil pump collar spacer where as if I use the DE pulley, I don't need the spacer, right?

Are you referring to the intake side or exhaust? I'm assuming the intake and its your personal preference here.

I'm not quite sure of the differences on the pulleys but I have the RWD pulley with a 5mm spacer. Does the VE pulley sit out away from the motor more causing a misalignment issue with the accessories?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #339
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, intake side. I just wasn't sure if one had a cleaner routing than the others.

Found this link for the pulleys that seems to clear it up.
http://www.sr20-forum.com/howto-s/24...explained.html
Old 03-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #340
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
My money pit. Can't wait to hear the VVL kick in.
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #341
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramonesfreak2010 View Post
My money pit. Can't wait to hear the VVL kick in.
You don't really feel or hear it kick in. Ideally the onset of boost and VVL kick in together. It does pull hard as hell though. I can really feel my Helical fighting for traction back there(ass end wags, but not uncontrollably) through most of 3rd.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #342
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Alright, so I'm probably just going to keep the stock springs. Reading MotoIQ's build of their land speed record SR15VET, they used the stock P12 springs and claim they're some of the best OEM springs they've ever seen. They're revving to 8.6k with the 20v cams too. So I should be fine at 9k with the softer ramp up N1 cams.

As for the valve seals, I've seen that site before but when you inquire it lists them as discontinued. So hopefully I can find another engine's valve seals that match or I guess I'll just use the ones in it. I just wanted to be proactive and replace them now.

EDIT: NSX valve seals might work, they're also 5.5mm stem valves. Just need to measure the OD of the guides.

https://www.supertechperformance.com...ec=234&em=4975
Pretty sure that motoiq car had valve float using stock p12 valve springs.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #343
Kylepaschke
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (13)
Kylepaschke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Ramonesfreak2010
BEAUTIFUL.
Kylepaschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #344
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You don't really feel or hear it kick in. Ideally the onset of boost and VVL kick in together. It does pull hard as hell though. I can really feel my Helical fighting for traction back there(ass end wags, but not uncontrollably) through most of 3rd.
Are you switching both separately? At the same time might have a bit of a kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
Pretty sure that motoiq car had valve float using stock p12 valve springs.
Link to this? I didn't see anything about that in their article.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #345
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Are you switching both separately? At the same time might have a bit of a kick.
Yes, both are switched at the same time currently. If/when I pick those cams up from you, ill be going back to the tuner to dial in switch over points. I think there is some spool left on the table.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #346
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

So any clarification on using DET springs with a P12 head? I'm assuming I'd use the P12 retainers but do I use DET or P12 seats?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #347
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
So any clarification on using DET springs with a P12 head? I'm assuming I'd use the P12 retainers but do I use DET or P12 seats?
From what I was told you use the P12 stuff with the aftermarket DET springs. OR you can convert over to the P11 dual valve springs but you need all the P11 valve components.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 03-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #348
joeapple8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
joeapple8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I'm fortunate that WPC is near me in Torrance. I go through a shop called MKS/Bluemoon for that service. Bluemoon has built many engines for formula D cars

I went way overboard, but just having them do bearings is very beneficial and quite cheap.

I am fortunate to have dropped of my bottom block for Shingo and Robb to rebuild, I will be sending in my brand new P12 head soon after I get more valve train parts. The thing that is killing me is rocker arms costing 200 usd a piece LOL
joeapple8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #349
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Link to this? I didn't see anything about that in their article.
Read this: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...stoppable.aspx

P12 springs = valve float at 8200rpm using p12 cams.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #350
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well, seeing as I want to take it to 9k to save me from having to shift into 3rd in an autocross, it looks like I'll be buying aftermarket DET springs. I'll report back on how it works with P12 seats/retainers.

Would be nice if I could use the DET retainers too and go titanium. I'm not aware of any titanium retainers for the P12.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 03-28-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Old 04-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #351
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Before I go ahead and measure it myself, does anyone know the volume of the VE combustion chamber compared to the DET combustion chamber?

In other words, how will the VE conversion affect my compression?

EDIT: looks like DET is ~46cc and VE is ~42cc
Old 04-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #352
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Well, seeing as I want to take it to 9k to save me from having to shift into 3rd in an autocross, it looks like I'll be buying aftermarket DET springs. I'll report back on how it works with P12 seats/retainers.

Would be nice if I could use the DET retainers too and go titanium. I'm not aware of any titanium retainers for the P12.

Thanks guys.
if memory serves me right, the H22 springs are identical to the VVL springs. interested to see what you find.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #353
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeapple8 View Post
I am fortunate to have dropped of my bottom block for Shingo and Robb to rebuild, I will be sending in my brand new P12 head soon after I get more valve train parts. The thing that is killing me is rocker arms costing 200 usd a piece LOL
they're almost done with mine. i'll have to check but I think I might have an extra rocker arm or two.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #354
Busta

Busta is an unknown quantity at this point
I did porting and chamber modifications on a few of these since Last year and stock combustion chambers all mesured ( untouched with stock valves ) around 39.6 to 40.1cc. The supertech valve springs for the sr20ve as said are the same part number as honda h22 springs. Guys who choose to go the p12 head route should altogether just ditch the 5.5 mm intake valves for the 6mm ones, oversize and bronze sleeve the guides or replace them for 6mm id supertech guides. That gives options for spring/retainer combos and gives the valve stems a bit more needed strenght
Busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #355
Busta

Quote:

About the water necks their functionallity are the same. These are details i chose the very best water neck wich I found was autotech; its a one piece aluminum billet unit black anodized for protection/looks and has an integrated o-ring for sealant less install. I by no means favor a company to another unless its going to be sponsored. I got all 4 company's parts on my build no shame here Wether it be Mazworx,Taarks,Prl or Autotech does'ent matter. Simply said every company has a part they make better and arent more expensive than competitors. All of these company's make parts for the vvl they are all good but being an ex-machinist I have a weak point for anything cnc'd and well designed. Less chances of welds cracking down the road more quality
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #356
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
if memory serves me right, the H22 springs are identical to the VVL springs. interested to see what you find.
For the P11 head yes.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 04-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #357
Busta

Quote:
Finally joining the VE swap crew.

Will be running this on my 10.5:1 compression bottom end with e85 and my EFR7163 turbo. Should make for a very responsive 500whp.

Question: I'll be using SR16VE N1 cams in this. With the stock P12 springs and valves, how high can I rev? I'm reading the P12 springs are better than P11 and with the thinner stem valves, that helps revs too. Apparently the N1 cams are profiled for higher revs also, so I'm thinking I might just stay stock and not get the Supertech springs if stock will get me to 8-9k.
I will be dealing with pretty much the same setup as you Luckyx2; efr7163 twinscroll 10:1 cr pistons with fullrace ts efr manifold. I really love that turbo the response is mindblowing. We shall see if the vvl head mandates a bigger turbo when I push 27 psi of boost at it. I cant wait to drive it see the difference all these mods will give
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #358
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
I wound up ordering these springs for a DET
http://www.frsport.com/Valve-Spring-...FQckhgodvOEP9A

Haven't installed yet but diameters looked the same when I put them next to each other. Thanks, Yellow4g63, for the tip that DET springs work for the P12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta View Post
Guys who choose to go the p12 head route should altogether just ditch the 5.5 mm intake valves for the 6mm ones, oversize and bronze sleeve the guides or replace them for 6mm id supertech guides. That gives options for spring/retainer combos and gives the valve stems a bit more needed strenght
I've been contemplating this. My exhaust valve seats are a little pitted, so I was going to have them recut and then I thought may as well get valves too at that point but then I need to machine the guides, get new retainers, etc and it just becomes a cascading cost. Pretty tempting to just take the $80 for springs and call it a day. Is there really that much of a risk of the stock valves breaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta View Post
I will be dealing with pretty much the same setup as you Luckyx2; efr7163 twinscroll 10:1 cr pistons with fullrace ts efr manifold. I really love that turbo the response is mindblowing. We shall see if the vvl head mandates a bigger turbo when I push 27 psi of boost at it. I cant wait to drive it see the difference all these mods will give
Very cool. Let's keep in touch, I'd like to compare after we're both tuned and that way we can optimize our setups. I post in the EFR thread on Nissan Road Racing also. Nicknack and Def on there are running 7163s with VVL heads also. What cams do you plan on running? I'm particularly interested in a comparison between P12 and the N1 cams I'll be using.

As for how much boost it will hold, I plotted it on Borg's MatchBot a while ago before I bought the turbo. I think what I found is that it should hold 30psi to ~7500rpm. A larger turbo is not an option for me though, I need to keep it responsive for autox.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 04-08-2016 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #359
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Dumb question, but this swap is more of a drift thing right or do you guys daily these?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #360
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Dumb question, but this swap is more of a drift thing right or do you guys daily these?
It's more of an efficiency/make more power thing
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote