Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gabe's R33 GTR... which most likely is rotten

Hi, Gabe here. Thought it would be cool to return to Zilvia after a 9 or so year absence. Seems like a lot has changed...

Anyways, I left the US almost 6 years ago to pursue a dream of getting paid next-to-nothing to design Formula 1 cars and have succeeded in doing so. Living in the UK allows me access to JDM cars, and I always kept my affinity for them after selling my 180sx, so I decided I would look to purchase one which I could bring back to the US eventually. I do not want to waste a build on UK roads/weather (visit to see what I mean)

With the 25-yr rule in place, my search went basically to Skyline GTR's. There are a ton of them in the UK already, and have been here basically since Paul Walker decided to shift 47 times in a single drag race.

R32 GTRs were too expensive; US market has driven the prices through the roof world-wide, as anyone who has purchased one can tell you. I did not have a spare 25-35k pounds for one ($30-42K USD)...

Being a resourceful car guy like the rest of you, I looked for junkers I could work on and restore. The ones for sale here on Ebay and other places were crap and just not low enough in price to restore properly.

Bring on R33 GTRs... under-appreciated, undervalued, much more advanced younger brother of the R32. I found many of these in a more reasonable price range.

Here are a few vlogs which I think you guys will like of the restoration so-far. I started this a few months ago... I will start adding more content as we go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ePsczZkQLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFT91aFoRLc
-------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gabednconfused/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/gabedm/

Last edited by iwishiwas-all*; 09-07-2019 at 01:47 AM..
iwishiwas-all* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

iwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfectioniwishiwas-all* is close to perfection
Fixed the YT links guys & gals
Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
Wknd

Trader Rating: (0)
Wknd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please add more pictures. Found some on your Instagram, but I feel this forum needs more Skylines. The wheels already look very promising. How are your strut towers?
Wknd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #4
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Start with this yall

Skyline GTR with panasports yeeeeeeee by gabednconfused, on Flickr

Skyline GTR with panasports yeeeeeeee by gabednconfused, on Flickr
Old 09-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Great choice. People seem to forget how much more rigid and advanced the r33 was compared to the r32. I'd love me a purple series 3 instead of an overpriced r32.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey that plug you asked about in your first video goes the PCM valve (factory boost control). Your valve is missing though, it's supposed to be bolted to the bracket on the strut tower (the same one that holds the resistor.)

Really liking your build, great attention to detail. Major props for saving that thing from a terrible fate!
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.trick View Post
Hey that plug you asked about in your first video goes the PCM valve (factory boost control). Your valve is missing though, it's supposed to be bolted to the bracket on the strut tower (the same one that holds the resistor.)

Really liking your build, great attention to detail. Major props for saving that thing from a terrible fate!
Damn you're a legend! thanks! I thought it might be to one of the bottles, windshield washer etc...

It has an avc-r on it, and a power FC... because i cant stand being cluttered, I am going to rig the power FC using the AVC-r boost controller solenoid... the solenoid is loud though and annoying. I wanted to find an HKS one, but this is the most slim-line solution.

I got two videos I am working on now, keep yall posted!
Old 09-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wknd View Post
Please add more pictures. Found some on your Instagram, but I feel this forum needs more Skylines. The wheels already look very promising. How are your strut towers?
Forgot to answer this- the front strut towers are typical, mine have light surface rust but we know that means its too late for them. I have seen WAY worse on cars here. I might have them worked on when I have the rust repairs on the sills done soon, or might wait until after I ship the car back.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
SkidzNY

SkidzNY is an unknown quantity at this point
nice build
SkidzNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 AM   #10
super.trick
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwas-all* View Post
Damn you're a legend! thanks! I thought it might be to one of the bottles, windshield washer etc...

It has an avc-r on it, and a power FC... because i cant stand being cluttered, I am going to rig the power FC using the AVC-r boost controller solenoid... the solenoid is loud though and annoying. I wanted to find an HKS one, but this is the most slim-line solution.

I got two videos I am working on now, keep yall posted!
Happy to help man! I actually have a ton of technical literature on the BCNR33 (wiring/service/etc) because I have an 26DETT out of one. Way too much to host somewhere but if it could be of use to you send me a PM.
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:00 AM   #11
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

First of a few backlogged vlogs of me snagging parts from a local West Palm Beach junkyard when I was back in FL this August. I think owning these cars is halfway easy state-side when we start to locate all of the parts carried over from US spec Infinities and Nissans.

I have a video with actual GTR footage from last weekend I will post tonight. I also have a pretty hilarious engine bay comparison with a before/after of how I purchased it, and how it is now. I will try to do that tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmzjfc0dmN0
Old 09-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #12
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Engine bay, before & after; a memoir

First day I saw the car... hideous:

After:

The process I took to refinish the engine bay is kinda detailed in these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWrY69mOAs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUoXdyTezxU

Last edited by iwishiwas-all*; 09-08-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #13
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
In for updates. Need moar R-chassis content around here!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFITTZY View Post
In for updates. Need moar R-chassis content around here!
TONIGHT TONIGHT (uk time, so mid day for you probably) I will post another video and make a post. Sit tight hah
Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
MUCH IMPROVE

best wheel choice too

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
MUCH IMPROVE

best wheel choice too
Thanks for the help on it dude
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #17
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Today's update: I have QUESTIONS!

Have you owned or do own an AVC-R boost controller? Have you owned or do own a power FC?

I made mondo progress last Saturday at the shop- I am about to post my video from a week ago, where I put the car on the ground in prep for being able to start the car, so the videos will not match this post but here goes.

The Plan

I basically had most of this car taken apart; to refinish, replace and refurbish just about everything. It is well known I am planning a full underbody restoration, using one of two shops here in the UK (one of them is called Auto Torque, very impressive work), which will include cutting out a lot of rusted metal in the inner and outer sills of the car, and the inner wheel well in the rear. Both common rust places on R33's, which I do not think are helped at all by living in England.

I am also going to have the sill seam reconstructed, because just like every 240sx in the US, the jacking points on the R33 are fucked on mine too. It is actually where the rust started from I suspect.

The Issue

Everything in England is fucking expensive. Like, EVERYTHING. Renting a trailer and a massive F250 to tow the skyline to shops for in-depth restoration quotes is impossible. Paying someone to do it for me is expensive (probably will spend $400 just to trailer the car to the few shops a few times before I decide where I will do the work) and I can't trust anyone as far as I can throw them here. Been burned too many times, and most people don't seem to take most jobs seriously, but I digress.

So I have decided to out the entire car back together, get it running, drivable, maybe not perfect, but at least good enough to go down the highway. Thus I need to get my car to pass the dreaded MOT test.

The MOT can fail your car for emissions, lights, suspension, power steering rack leaks, RUST, just about everything. So I am trying to eliminate as many potential failure points as possible. The rust, MOSTLY wont be noticeable, but if someone pokes around in the inner wheel wells in the rear they might see it. Thus my solution is to find a dodgy MOT shop to pay an extra few quid to in order to pass the car. Should be possible just like it is possible to pass SMOG in cali...

Results?

I put in about 10 hrs on Sat at the shop and got the ole girl running. In general, I am very happy.

Some highlights of the day:
1. Jamming pieces of metal into the battery terminal lead, to bridge the gap between my new Japanese terminal battery and cables made for a US or Euro battery
2. Removing a GPS tracker, hard wired into the rear fuse box of my car (part number came up a call phone module for BMW or Merc, but also as a tracker
3. Filling the car with oil and praying my oil pan chamfered washer stopped it from leaking (watch my vlogs for more info on this)
4. Fitted the HKS hi-power silent exhaust (sounds nice)
5. Attached the PowerFC commander I bought, which seems to work correctly.
6. Installing the new coil pack harness from wiring specialties

Untitled by gabednconfused, on Flickr

Wiring Specialties harness installed:

Hooked up the OEM HID's and they look pretty, damn...

Old 09-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Poll the audience

Car started, oil pressure is good, vac is good, revs very responsive and at least didn't miss at all at idle (have not put it under load so I will hold my breath). Seems putting the car together was a success!

The thing I need help on is the damn AVC-R. It is so loud! Clicking like hell. I think it is wired incorrectly for sure, but want some guidance.

I turn the car into the ON position, and immediately, the AVC-R starts clicking like a tattoo gun or something. The car is not started at this point, and its just clicking. Doesn't make sense. I assume this not normal?

When I start it, the clicking is continuous and annoying, which can be heard in this video. It is LOUD. I know someone is gonna say "its knocking bro!", but it's not. Annoying af though. Peep it here:

Updates: GTR by gabednconfused, on Flickr

My questions:

1. WTF is wrong with the solenoid?
2. Can I get a quieter solenoid instead?
3. Does anyone know if I can hook this up direct to the power FC to get rid of the AVC-R? The display seems fucked anyway on it.
4. Any alternatives I should look into? Any other maintenance items I need to look at on skylines or RB's specifically while I am in the early stages revitalizing this engine?

I will try to post a vlog tonight.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like either a bad ground for the solenoid/or the solenoid has just failed in general
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #20
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Sounds like either a bad ground for the solenoid/or the solenoid has just failed in general
From what I hear, these solenoids only fire under boost, so for some reason its constantly firing. Need to figure out why. I will work on wiring on saturday!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NxOAiHnZkE

New vlog alert haha... Got tons of footage so might post another tomorrow!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #22
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CLifKfH4_0

Newest video is up!

Couple of points on it-

1. I need to bleed the power steering system after I removed the reservoir... the pump sounds super drive there so I need to bleed the system.
2. I gotta flush the water system, I am pretty sure its no less than 10-yr old water in there. No leaks from what I see but cant be good looking in there. Maybe add some water wetter?
3. I gotta figure out the boost cont solenoid and the alarm system ASAP. That will be saturday's project. I should have some help with me to get it done so lets see what we can accomplish!

Let me know if you got any questions or comments.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

Some updates:

Maiden voyage complete! Car drives woot woot. Was pretty cool to get that done. I am uploading a vlog now with the footage but its not my best work honestly, been sick as a dog for a few weeks now, and unfortunately summer is basically over so I need to get cracking ASAP if I will get this car further along on its journey.

Here are some photos for everyones viewing pleasure.

Updates to the Skyline- maiden voyage by gabednconfused, on Flickr

Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 AM   #24
puz pounda

puz pounda is an unknown quantity at this point
killer! looking forward to updates
puz pounda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #25
iwishiwas-all*
Nissanaholic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtqyC9h2z0

I would say some things got a bit serious last weekend. The car has ermmm been stripped and put on a rotisserie. Pretty wild times.

The process is pretty extensive, but the entire underside of the car will be restored- all the rust removed, all the holes welded, all the frame rails made new etc... inner and outer sills (and jack points remade).

Got the engine and gearbox out in the process, so all of the subframes will be powdercoated, along with all the arms, front and rear.

Still so much to do. This will take 3-4 months at minimum. Lemme know what you think of the vid. I got a bunch of photos on my ig from the process as I get them from the fab shop, so I will try to put them on flickr so you all can see here too.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Whoa... I wasn't expecting this?! Talk about an update!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #27
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
R33 IS best Skyline.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
We went from maiden voyage update pics to car on a rotisserie...my man, haha.

Should be fun. Cool purp color and wheels, m8.