Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Canada > British Columbia

Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DDonovan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Annual Vancouver Island Poker Run for Camp Shawnigan

Event: 5th Annual Vancouver Island Poker Run For Camp Shawnigan
When: August 23rd 2014 Weekend
- Based on the timing it is possible to attend the Poker Run and dinner on the Saturday only and be back on the mainland that evening.

Meet and greet with dinner and a cruz - Friday 22nd evening
Poker Run with banquet dinner at Mt Washington - Saturday 23rd all day.
Brunch and cruz back to Victoria - Sunday 24th.

Where: Starts in Victoria at 9:00am and ends at Mt Washington in the beautiful Comox Valley approximately 6:30 with dinner and awards to follow.
What: The Vancouver Island Poker Run for Camp Shawnigan is an annual event put on by the Vancouver Island S2000 owners. The proceeds of this event go to a very worthy cause in Camp Shawnigan, a summer camp for disabled children. Sending a child to this specialty camp cost parents over $2,300 per child. Help me to send as many children as possible to summer camp. Here is a link provided to me by Camp Shawnigan (BC Lions Society Easter Seals) outlining the good work that they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU3Mz2cVcoMy

http://www.lionsbc.ca/default.aspx?PageID=1019

What is a Poker Run? Since I have been asked I thought I would basically explain a Poker Run and how it works.

A Poker Run is a rally that doesn't have anything to do with speed. Everyone starts from the same location and either travels as a group or single and heads to a common ending point (in our case Mt Washington Resort in the Comox Valley). Along the route there are checkpoints that each vehicle must get to. You are supplied with a detailed map but none of the locations are hard to find. For those that know the island they can take off as a single or as a group and head whatever way they wish. Those that don't know the island and want to have more of the scenic tour can go with another group that will have some local owners and we will take the ocean routes to the checkpoints.

At each checkpoint will be a deck of cards. Each car selects a card. If you don't like the card you get, you can pre-purchase "mulligan" tickets which allow you to exchange the card at the checkpoint and return the card you first selected. Mulligan tickets are purchased at the start of the event and you can only purchase 3 tickets. Of course you "draw" a card you don't get to see what it is until after you have it in your hand.

Once you get to the finish you should have 7 cards. From those cards you make the best Poker hand you can and submit it to the event people. We have a nice sit down dinner at Mt Washington Resort (last year was Carved Roast Beef and Chicken Cordon Bleu with a great selection of salads and other nice things). During the dinner you are encouraged to purchase tickets for the silent auction items with all proceeds going to Camp Shawnigan. After dinner we award the silent auction items and we then award prize money to the 1st, and 2nd, and 3rd place card hands.

After that we have the bar and the facilities until midnight.

Most of the participants will stay on the Mountain in various accommodations that are available. Participants of the Poker Run do get a special rate on the Mountain. It is also possible to attend the festivities and still make it down to Nanaimo to catch the ferry to the mainland, should staying overnight not be an option. The next day we normally cruise back to Victoria as a group stopping someplace for lunch. This year it is proposed that we may include a further 'sight seeing' tour further up the island, before making our way back.

Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me or fire me an email at [email protected]

Thanks and I hope you can make it out to this worthwhile event.

Face Book Event Page: 2014 5th Annual Vancouver Island Poker Run for Camp Shawnigan
DDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Updates:

- The registration form is now up and live.
- Mt Washington is offering special pricing for Poker Run participants that are planning on spending the night on the mountain with us.
- All checkpoints confirmed for this year (Fanny Bay Inn Pub is a new checkpoint for 2014).
- Mt Washington dinner menu has been selected.
- Accent Inns offering special pricing for Poker Run participants that want to come over for the Friday night pre-meet. Hotel located right across the road from the start of the Poker Run and the pre-meet.
- Sponsorship donations have started coming in.

For more information and for the link to the Registration form please go to the Face Book Event:
5th Annual Vancouver Island Poker Run for Camp Shawnigan 2014

https://www.facebook.com/events/292997577521682/
Old 05-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Update:

105 cars say they are attending on Face Book Event page. So far we have 45 cars and 79 people that have actually registered. This is truly excellent. Sponsorship continues to come in strong as well. Contact me with any questions.

Face Book Event Page and Registration: https://www.facebook...292997577521682

CheckPoints confirmed:
1) Campus Honda (Victoria)
2) Discovery Honda (Duncan)
3) Nanaimo Honda (Nanaimo)
4) Sunrise Ridge Resort (Parksville)
5) ArrowSmith Golf and Country Club (Qualicum Beach)
6) Fanny Bay Inn (Fanny Bay)
7) Island Honda (Courtenay)

Menu Confirmed:
Lunch: Discovery Honda
BBQ
Dinner: Mt Washington
Artisan Buns & Whipped Herb Butter
Garden Greens & Assorted Dressings
Greek & Feta Salad
Asian Noodle Salad
Classic Caesar Salad
Marinated Vegetable Salad
Carved Roast Beef Au Jus
West Coast Salmon
Roasted Red Potato
Wild Rice Pilaf
Seasonal Vegetable Medley
Chef’s Sweet Table
Fresh Sliced Fruit
Coffee & Tea

Accomodations setup for Victoria on Friday the 22nd:
For individual reservations, please have participants call 1-800-663-0298 and quote group 49729 in Victoria. All reservations will need to be made prior to July 22 release date."

Accomodations setup for Mt Washington for Saturday the 23rd:
Rooms from $99.00 to $119.00 and if you stay a second night you get 10% off as well. Contact accommodations directly and use the on-line promo code 'POKER'
Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Poker Run Update:

I will have to cap registration this year at 100 cars. Reason being that I just won't be able to logistically get more cars through the checkpoint and up to Mt Washington in time for dinner. The Checkpoint BBQ may also be a problem. I will probably be sending cars out in two groups. There will be gathering spots along the route where we can get back together, but most checkpoints are not going to be able to handle 100 cars, so we may have to hit them as groups as well. That will all be worked out as we get closer to the event day.

So far 64 cars have registered representing 111 people. Please get your registrations in to reserve a spot. The participation list will go like this, fully paid registrations have a reserved spot. People that have paid the pre-registration and have made arrangements with me to pay the full amount, will have a reserved spot. People that have paid only the pre-registration fee will have until August 3rd to pay me the remainder owning. People that have not paid the pre-registration fee must either pay the pre-registration fee or pay the full entrance fee by August 3rd to reserve their spot. Hope that makes sense. Anyone that has offered to pay the pre-registration fee and has yet to contact me, please do as I don't want anyone to lose a spot. Not sure we will reach 100 but it looks like we might. If we don't, all is good. Also if we reach 100 cars, the cash prize will definitely be increased.

Right now we are looking at $500.00 for best poker hand (poker hands are made using the best 5 cards out of the 7 that you will receive, so yes, 5 of a kind is completely possible), 300 for second best hand, and 200 for third. If you have a really crappy hand, put that on the envelope and we will be giving out a free ticket to the 6th Annual Vancouver Island Poker Run.

Check out the Face Book Event Page for more information:
https://www.facebook.com/events/292997577521682/
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Update:

4 weeks left to register and pay, if you haven't already done so. Full payment not required till first week of August, but you should register now. There are Less than 25 spots left.

Pure Audio, Madman McKays, The Honda Way in Abbottsford, the Wickertree, SHC Autographics, NvUS, Island Detail, all adding sponsorship.

I'm getting excited..., hope you are to. Stay tuned and in a few weeks I will list some of the donated raffle item for this year.

To date we have: 75 cars registered representing 130 people attending.

Cars include:

92 R32 GTR
red rx7
02 acura rsx type s
2008 Hyundai Tiburon
1993 Stanced Civic
2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
2013 Hyundai Genesis Cupe
94 Integra GS-R
1990 300zxtt
2013 Mazda 3 Hatchback
1990 honda civic