Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
240rookie18

Trader Rating: (1)
240rookie18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 obdII 5spd tranny into s13??

hi guys,

I need to be cleared up on something. Ive been searching for a couple of hours now and havent been able to clear up my question.

I am doing a 5speed swap on a s13. I have attained a s14 (obd II) 5speed transmission. I understand that the 91-98 trannys for ka's are all the same; and that the differences are only the cas and speed sensors. I installed the transmission and realized that none of the plugs from the transmission harness match up to the body harness except for the: alternator with ground, starter, and battery.

My concern is that I tried to crank the car and it didn't turn on. I already jumpered the neutral safety switch near the fuse box.

Would purchasing a s13 5speed transmission harness along with a s13 speed sensor solve all my problems????

thanks
240rookie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
brewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brewster240
put the s13 lower harness back on the engine.

run wires for reverse lights.

put in s13 speed sensor, and plug in.

you dont need any harness off s14.
brewster240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Exactly.

And quit calling a transmission "OBD-II". I'm so fucking sick of seeing that.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
240rookie18

thanks a lot guys. Just needed some reassurance. Project RDM you're as anal as I suspected but I do appreciate the quick replies and help.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
240rookie18

Alrite fellas, running into some more trouble. I got the car started and took it out for a test drive, and the car has a few issues.

-First, the car is overheating when driven. it has a new water pump and thermostat, and when I floor or rev the car, the temp needle goes all over the place. Ive had this issue before and it was my temp sensor, my car however would not overheat. Im thinking either the temp sensor and maybe fan clutch..or even worse the headgasket has gone out.

-Second, when I turn the car off, I hear a weird noise from inside almost as if the flywheel is hitting something as it comes to a stop. I did accidentally put the A/T flywheel bolts on instead of the M/T bolts.

-And third my brake lights stay on when I turn the car off. Would this be the plastic piece on the pedal?

Any input you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240rookie18 View Post
Alrite fellas, running into some more trouble. I got the car started and took it out for a test drive, and the car has a few issues.

-First, the car is overheating when driven. it has a new water pump and thermostat, and when I floor or rev the car, the temp needle goes all over the place. Ive had this issue before and it was my temp sensor, my car however would not overheat. Im thinking either the temp sensor and maybe fan clutch..or even worse the headgasket has gone out.

-Second, when I turn the car off, I hear a weird noise from inside almost as if the flywheel is hitting something as it comes to a stop. I did accidentally put the A/T flywheel bolts on instead of the M/T bolts.

-And third my brake lights stay on when I turn the car off. Would this be the plastic piece on the pedal?

Good Lord.

Air pocket in coolant more than likely.

You HAVE to use the M/T flywheel bolts. One has probably backed out and banging around inside the bellhousing. That will be bad.

Pedal stopper is gone probably. Unplug the switch to check it, then look to see if the switch is working.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Russ, I swear you're bipolar lol. You're either a total ass one minute (while still giving good advice I might add) or incredibly patient and kind the other.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240rookie18 View Post

1. air pocket...im not repeating how to do a proper coolant fill since its been repeated more times than my post count...

2. seriously, even though u know, that specific fact, u didnt thin "gee maybe driving it isnt a good idea"

3rd. its most likely the stopper, its a green little stop that u can go to nissan and buy, or do a quick fix and use zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
Russ, I swear you're bipolar lol. You're either a total ass one minute (while still giving good advice I might add) or incredibly patient and kind the other.

but thats what makes him such an awesome colorful character

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Enna
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Enna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enoughEnna will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enna Send a message via MSN to Enna
<3 russ's replies.
Enna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
240rookie18

lol. you guys r cool. I cant believe ima have to drop the tranny again n change the bolts... man what a bad mistake to make.
As far as the air pocket.. um maybe if I tell you guys the condition I got the car in. I bought it an auction and when I got the car it had orange residue all over the radiator, water pump, thermostat, etc. and it ran but overheated even before I did the swap. So I changed the radiator, water pump, t stat, and coolant. and before I did all that I flushed the entire cooling system, put the parts on, jacked up the car so that the radiator fill was above the bleeder, opened up the bleeder and filled away til a steady stream of coolant was coming out of the bleeder... but again you guys r usually right and I have nothing to lose so ima do what you say and let you know.

Oh n by the way, after listening carefully to the noise, it sounds like its the clutch fan. it probably is those f'n a/t fly bolts though.. im just kidding myself i guess...sigh

thanks guys
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
240rookie18

Found out what that noise I mentioned earlier was. I had left the a/c on when turning off the car and the a/c clutch is very noisy. It made the weird sound I was describing while the car was shutting off.
Just for the sake of conversation, why can't I leave the a/t flywheel bolts on the car? The bolts that are currently on the car have the same function and were torqued to the exact same spec. I understand one is longer than the other but theoretically it should function the same right? The only thing I can think of is that the rotating mass of the a/t fly is different from that of a m/t fly. Which would then make the m/t fly bolts balance specifically with m/t flywheel. What do you guys think?

And by the way you guys were right on the overheating problem. After about ten minutes of bleeding and a steady stream a bubble finally popped out and the car is fine again.

Last edited by 240rookie18; 08-27-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: typo