Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Administration > Forum Suggestions & Technical Support

Forum Suggestions & Technical Support Post any suggestions or questions related to this site.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
BobbyBoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
BobbyBoy is making a name for him/her selfBobbyBoy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BobbyBoy
Opinions on the whole Picture thread thing

From browsing around on other forums I whole heartedly believe we have the most retarded way for our members to share their pictures. I mean hey lets post our pics on a single thread that grows to 20+ pages easily and take a while to load images even on DSL. Not only that, if you want to find certain pics you have to go through all those damn pages.

I mean what makes a thread a pics thread only. What if I made a thread that said "check out my CF doors trunk dash and full underbody aero. Would it be locked because I would be whoring out pictures of my car, or would it be the exception?

I think the most efficient way would be to have a subforum folder within the general discussion or somewhere, that is dedicated to pictures. That way we can share pics of ANYTHING, not just 240 stuff that is picture related. If a thread has shitty off topic pics, it will die just like any other useless thread. You can still have the sticky posting for the big picture thread for whatever significance that thread is.

This way we can share meet pics with everyone in the site instead of browsing through the regional subforums. For instance, someone might post some nice pics of a modified S13 in Highres in the Wyoming regional forum, but am I going to go look over there for some nice pictures?? Probably not. :hammer: As a forums we need a good way to organize our info and files.

Our current setup is kinda like stuffing all your school papers into a single folder instead of having a trapper keeper for all your subjects.

Anyways rant mode off
Old 09-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
This belongs in Forum Sugggestions, where it has been discussed before. It seems people will always find something to complain about when it comes to sharing their pictures. I really don't see the big deal. If you really have a problem with the way we are doing things, then create your own site and host your own pics. Then you can put whatever pics up you want and allow people to comment however they like.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
RJF
Super Administrator & Bean Counter

RJF has disabled reputation
Also, keep in mind that we have the Gallery section and the Member Rides section for Premium Members.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to Jcb890
i like his idea. a little pictures forum to replace that huge thread would be cool... maybe a subsection of OT, like a "Pics" and "Videos" forum? nobody else thinks thats a good idea? or, you could just do a Multimedia forum for pics and vids instead of having 2 different forums.
Jcb890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
RJF
Super Administrator & Bean Counter

RJF has disabled reputation
I'd have to see what sort of impact (Bandwidth and Disk Space) a Multimedia forum would have.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
i think that'd be a cool idea and a lot of people would appreciate it i think. i mean, you don't have to allow peole to upload all their vids and pics, but a place to post/view them would be really cool. it works out well for a lot of other sites.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
i like the idear
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #8
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
i never open the pictures thread just because even on cable it takes awhile to load, there so many pictures its nearly impossible to browse. The members gallery is nice, but i agree, perhaps a forum for just posting pictures, it's not like its gonna cost zilvia any more bandwidth.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

that thread owns any kind of internet... i have sick internet here at school and even that is a lil slow to load it.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
r-b-x
Leaky Injector

r-b-x is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd also suggest to make the rides section searchable, given how quick people like to jump on the "search, foo!" bandwagon on requests. the rides section is nice since descriptions are usually provided too, less likely in the picture thread, but you need to wade through everybody's gallery looking for certain body kit or wheel fitment.
r-b-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
You should all just buy Premium Memberships.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
i have a suggestion. on JDMC.com they have it all broken down due to there being somany variants of civics. its broken down into all body styles. from there, they are broken down further to the specifics, IE hatch, coupe, sedan. we could do something like this here. S13 picture post, S14 picture post. or break it down further so whomever is searching for something can get more specific. S13 hatch thread AND coupe thread. S14 koukie and zenki thread. allow chit chat in these specific threads so that questions can be asked publicly. ive noticed that if the questions are asked publicly, theres alot less of the same continuous question being asked. on top of this, i would consider keeping the picture thread that exists currently, without the chatter. im not sure if you are set in stone with the current thread, but if anyone is open to suggestions. im sure a couple people would appreciate it if this as alteast taken into consideration. just a suggestion, do with it what you feel fit. thanks for reading.

-Dane
Old 09-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

so whats the plan here?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Lucky7, you just described the Gallery.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #15
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Lucky7, you just described the Gallery.
:
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #16
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
completely different format though. its just odd how theres so much hatred towards people posting pictures that want some feedback. the gallery takes much to long to load each picture to see if there are any questions being asked. the pictures are not always current. i dunno, i avoid the gallery because it takes way to long to go through it, and it is VERY lacking in members pictures. 1 last point. is everyone allowed to post in the gallery, or just premium members? from what i understand, it is strictly for the premium members. perhaps i am wrong here, im not sure. the simplicity of 4 threads pertaining to the 4 primary vehicles, IE S13 (coupe, hatch), and S14 (zenki/kouki) would own the gallery any day of the week. it would load much faster, you would get your info much faster, the photos would be much more current. again, im describing a completely different format than the current. i apparently didnt make that clear enough the first go around.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #17
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Gallery is for everyone, Picture Thread is for everyone. Premium Members have the "Member Rides" section and their own forum.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #18
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
bottom line is, if we could get a seperate forum for just posting pics for opinions/comments/showing off, i think we would all be happier, i doubt anyone would even use the picture thread, since its basically what were asking for, except its like loading every thread in a picture forum at the same time...bandwidth scary/chaotic heh, i dont see why adding another forum is that big of a deal, it wont use much bandwidth. Have a mod meeting and discuss said Idea =]
Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #19
llteddy4playll
Zilvia Member

llteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-known
Not to hijack this thread. But there should be a picture thread of the persons car and himself so you know who you are looking at or talking too. The thread worked out great at a sentra forum and i saw people on the forums that was just crusing around. Suck part is that you will probably have to go back and add your picture to your existing picture.
llteddy4playll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #20
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

We have that in the Premie Forum. $10 gets you all of this!

If you don't like the new picture thread go and look at the old one in the archives section. Other people could comment on peoples rides but it took days to find a specific picture in the thread. There were hardly ANY pictures compared to the comments. If you look at the current picture thread you can find what you are looking for much easier because you don't have to sift through the BS. If you want a way to easily get feedback and post your mods and pictures a PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP IS ONLY 10 DOLLARS! For an example my link is in my sig. Not only are you getting something you want you are helping out Zilvia!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #21
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

I am a premium member, I paid my 10 to help out but this has nothing to do with that. Im talking about replacing the useless picture thread, with a new forum just for pictures, I see no harm in making it, but the mods may have a reason. Being a premium member gets you a ride section yes, its nice, but not what I, and others im sure are looking for in terms of posting recent pictures of there car. If the mods say no, they say no
Old 09-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
p11driver
Zilvia Junkie

p11driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to p11driver
I agree with statik, the picture thread is usless. when you search for a term, and the picture thread comes up, what good does that do anyone? how are you supposed to search thorugh over 10 pages of pics? and each page takes a while to load every pic.
I think it should be ok for there to be a section where people can say, check out my car heres pics and people can flame, ask questions ect.. Theres nothing wrong with that and I think it would be much more effecient than the picture thread.
Also the difference with the gallery and what lucky7 said is that in the gallery you cannot discuss anything about the cars. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:09 AM   #23
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Have none of you looked at the OLD PICTURE THREAD. If you think that this picture thread is useless then look at the old one. That was the reason that the new picture thread was made. The people that post pics in the NEW thread were asked to post every bit of info to help people search and cut down on people PM'ing them with questions.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #24
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

we're not comparing to the old thread. we're thinking of ways to make it easier to view multimedia shit on the site and have a place to put it.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #25
lucky7
Post Whore!

ahhh, so we have our 4 most common bodys of civic. EP, EK, EG, EF. lets click the Ek thread. i wanna find a new lip for MY EK.

here we are, at the Ek section. i have a 97 coupe. i wonder what lips look the best on the COUPE? dont have a hatch, or a sedan. I have a coupe! i'll click the "show off your coupe" section!

w00t! i found a lip that i like! i wonder what lip it is?? *keeps scrolling down the page* BAM!!! there it is, passwordjdm CF lip. i didnt even have to ask, BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE ALREADY DID!!

i love happy endings.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #26
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

i believe we made our point, but ive spoken to the mods and they feel that theyre maxing the current(3) servers as is and dont wanny add any more load, why no one has come in here and just said that to end this now pointless thread i do not know =]
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #27
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
i believe we made our point, but ive spoken to the mods and they feel that theyre maxing the current(3) servers as is and dont wanny add any more load, why no one has come in here and just said that to end this now pointless thread i do not know =]
bbboooooo hehe.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #28
p11driver
Zilvia Junkie

p11driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to p11driver
Question??????
This is a forum right? where we discuss things right? Well for instance the origin kouki s14 thread got locked because it belonged in the pic thread. The pic was already in that thread. So how is everyone able to discuss thier opinions and info about the aero if shit like that gets locked?!
Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 PM   #29
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Well if they would've made a post about introducing a new body kit and asked for input as a dealer I would've left it open. Instead they madea thread with 3 pictures, they didn't ask for input, they didn't say anything. That could've just as easily been done in the Picture Thread. If you have an opinion or question on the kit then contact TougeFactory who posted it, or Origin-Labs who made it.