Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #1201
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
hell do any of us even have a running one???
the most reliable one would probably be a bone stock one, still in a xtrail

what I really wanna know is what kind of refresh/teardown schedule is Gocha following
[YT]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8USRB9Pf4[YT]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8USRB9Pf4

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/08/...k-up-the-dmec/
Yeha, speak for yourself.

I have put several hundred miles on mine just this past week along breaking it all in. I also took it to it's first track outing at the Refrigerator Bowl At Summit Point raceway in WVA. Car did well! Plenty of grip, temps kept in check and overall, no "funny" noises. The items that experienced "issues" were not related to the engine. The car also did several "hot laps" At summit main.

So far, the only issue experiences
1) Shifter popped out of the hard nylon bucket *easy fix)
2) PS system is getting over pressurized (easy fix. I havethe Taarks relocator)
3) One of the exhaust mount bolts fell out

Car drove on and off the trailer when I got home.

So far so good! This thing is a riot! I am now debating plopping in my N1 cams for good measure to keep the boost down and power sustained.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #1202
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post

So far so good! This thing is a riot! I am now debating plopping in my N1 cams for good measure to keep the boost down and power sustained.
lol i'm just teasing, mine has been sitting on an engine stand for a few years now.

how is your PS system getting overpressurized? why will relocating it with the Taarks kit fix that?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #1203
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Get that shit running!

The reservoir is mounting too much in line with the PS pump (I have my VET mounted in a Z32 chassis, and my dumbass got rid of the PS hardline which would have made my life much easier...….ughhh). So the pump is unable to push the air pockets up to the reservoir where it can properly bleed. This in turns causes air pockets to be trapped in the system and end up pressurizing the system. For short runs it's good. However, when I went to the big boy track and did a number of laps, the issue became apparent . My bro thought it was a coolant leak, however on further inspection, the reservoir was bleeding out.
Atleast, that's what I think is happening.
That or the reservoir I have is shit hahahahah!
Old 01-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #1204
S13VE

Trader Rating: (0)
S13VE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb26kouki View Post
what kit is everyone using for cam signal ?
i only see 2 aftermarket options taarks & mazworx which maz has 3 different options.
I just got the Taarks Cam signal kit, the one that replaces the CAS, no trigger wheel here.

If I find we see timing scatter in the upper rev's I'll add a trigger wheel to my balancer (ATI).
S13VE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #1205
S13VE

Oh and yeah, my engine has barely progressed. Block has passed inspection, Crank is being crack tested as we speak.

Thinking I might put that engine in a new shell given how much oither stuff I need to upgrade to make use of it. In the mean time, I might refresh the old engine in the current car so I can do another season while I wait.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:19 PM   #1206
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^

Been following the Def model; just get seat time in whatever I can. I will slowly build it up over stages to get as much seat time as possible. A fast reliable car is a car that's not in a constant state of flux/build
Old 01-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #1207
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
^^

Been following the Def model; just get seat time in whatever I can. I will slowly build it up over stages to get as much seat time as possible. A fast reliable car is a car that's not in a constant state of flux/build
Word - it's too easy to just "build" and never drive. It frequently turns into parts hoarding and never really working on the car because your goal line moves over time, usually farther out than any progress you've made. I'm guilty of it too, with trying to fit "one more thing" in while taking something apart, but that usually works better from an efficiency of work standpoint.

I say this with not having tracked the SW20 due to kids taking up all my time. I could go to the track, just tough to swing that much time in a row.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #1208
S13VE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Word - it's too easy to just "build" and never drive. It frequently turns into parts hoarding and never really working on the car because your goal line moves over time, usually farther out than any progress you've made. I'm guilty of it too, with trying to fit "one more thing" in while taking something apart, but that usually works better from an efficiency of work standpoint.

I say this with not having tracked the SW20 due to kids taking up all my time. I could go to the track, just tough to swing that much time in a row.
Amen.

So yeah, trying to figure out how much of a "refresh" the car gets because I can't keep tracking it as is, comp is starting to drop a little on one cylinder, breathing a bit more, oil surge more often in corners due to going faster. This is my old CA18.

Hard to not want to do a basic rebuild if I remove the sump for breathing/oil mods - maybe just a spool kit, throw a 2860 on it and aim for a few extra kW, as much as the 460s will allow lol Maybe 220rwkw?

Annnnnd I've dropped another few grand on it if I do that...
Old 01-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #1209
PRT73

PRT73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I have put several hundred miles on mine just this past week along breaking it all in. I also took it to it's first track outing at the Refrigerator Bowl At Summit Point raceway in WVA. Car did well! Plenty of grip, temps kept in check and overall, no "funny" noises. The items that experienced "issues" were not related to the engine. The car also did several "hot laps" At summit main.

Excellent !! How many whp do you have in this configuration? You use 87mm forging pistons on stock sleeve . Because I still wonder if I should put on shirts to have 550 whp with my 87mm hks stroker kit and VE p11 head
PRT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #1210
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Errr, no idea! Discovered a litany of issues from the last dyno. One major one is the complete collapse of the CAT. EFR 7163 on 14-16psi. I have seen a dyno on a 2 liter VE with a EFR 7163 on the "gram" that made about 330 WHP on a mustang on the same boost (I have a similar setup). But I may be just shy of that as it has no timing in it. Just straight AF correction and that's it. Still on pump. Spins 305-30-18 ATR Sport II below 48 F in 3rd if I am not careful (JK41 6 speed).. However, they are absolute shit tires (compound sucks!) and I had much more grip on a set of 255 Zestino Grudge R (hard compound). So terrible comparison lol!

86.5 bottom end. Torque plate used for boring/honing. To answer your question; full send on 87mm HKS stroker kit. I do not forsee an issue at your power level. However, this is indeed the internet and YMMV
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #1211
peglio

peglio is an unknown quantity at this point
No relevance to the chat but I finally got my engine back and in the bay [emoji1591][emoji1] now just got to build the rest of the car ha ha

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd
peglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #1212
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

^^ dont forget I got dips on the mani if you sell it :F
Old 01-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #1213
peglio

Quote:
^^ dont forget I got dips on the mani if you sell it :F

100% dude [emoji1591][emoji1591]

Old 01-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #1214
S13VE

What inlet manifold is that?

Xcessive?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #1215
peglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13VE View Post
What inlet manifold is that?

Xcessive?

It’s a custom set up my engine builder made me [emoji1360]

Old 01-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #1216
S13VE

Nice.

Who here is running drive by wire?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #1217
peglio

Thanks man . I will be , just working out what I’m going to run atm

Old 01-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #1218
PRT73

Quote:
86.5 bottom end. Torque plate used for boring/honing. To answer your question; full send on 87mm HKS stroker kit. I do not forsee an issue at your power level. However, this is indeed the internet and YMMV

great, i'm going to try i think in 87mm, with good egt control to be safe. For the bottom engine did you get ARP stud? because I see a lot of people installing ticket main cap or plazamaman girld, useful or not? for our power
Old 01-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #1219
PRT73

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglio View Post
No relevance to the chat but I finally got my engine back and in the bay [emoji1591][emoji1] now just got to build the rest of the car ha ha

I'm love the color vvl head
Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 AM   #1220
peglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRT73 View Post
I'm love the color vvl head

Thanks man , it’s a custom candy teal I made with holographic teal and gold flake

Old 02-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #1221
kojiki88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kojiki88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What engine mounts are you guys running? Specifically for the ones running the P12 CAS at the rear of the head? I have the ISR mounts and they make everything rattle, tolerable but it sucks. I was going to run the Nismo mounts but had read that it raises the motor enough where the CAS would not clear and hit the firewall lip.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #1222
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

drift freaq mounts. He is on the forum
Old 02-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #1223
immy21

immy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S13VE View Post
Nice.

Who here is running drive by wire?
I am on my DET
immy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:44 PM   #1224
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I did. No drawbacks. Triggered VVL at about 3800 RPM. Pulled hard as high as I dared rev it (saw a little over 8k a few times, I'm sure it'd still pull at 8600-8800).

This was with an EFR 7163 twin scroll.

The N1 cams are similar to a stock F20C/F22C cam profile (S2000), and those things love boost too.

Honestly, with the N1s, you need a pretty big turbo. A 7163 is the smallest I'd go with. In the EFR world, I wondered what a 7670 would do. Probably still pretty strong response and even more nuts top end. That said, even the 7163 made so much power it was getting a little hard to manage at ~18 psi+(1.2 bar+).

The sound on the big cam is worth the N1s alone.
Hey Def, I've been out of the 240sx game for a little due to life events but I'm finally planning on getting the whole VET/7163/CD009 build on the road again this spring. Just wondering where you wound up with yours since our builds are really similar.

My notes say I got 404whp at 20psi but I hadn't printed that dyno sheet so I don't recall the torque. Last pull I had printed out was 384whp/327ftlbs at 20psi. Spark started blowing out, things were getting real hot on the steady state dyno and I stopped my session. Have since installed the IGN1A coils but haven't made it back to the dyno. Torque was leveling off around 3900 and pretty flat till 7k (all I pushed it to with the blowouts).
Edit: Found an old post with the full numbers, 404whp and 338ftlbs at 20psi and 6500rpm. Clearly a lot more HP waiting to be had at the same boost just by revving it to 8K+.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #1225
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
He sold the car and is messing with an mr2 these days.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #1226
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, I just came back to the post to edit it haha, I saw turtle's post about the head failure and also found Def's MR2 build when I googled for "SR20VET 7163" hah.

Man, I've been out of it for too long, things have changed.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #1227
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Well, NRR is officially dead. The domain has not been updated so this is the only place with any inkling of long standing knowledge for a VET swap

And even then, it pales in comparison to NRR
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #1228
turtl631
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
turtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond reputeturtl631 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Indeed, bummer. Everyone is hyped on K swaps now.

I broke the engine. Just got a rebuilt Mazworx head and block. Trying to get it together here soon. Just planning modest pump gas fun for now to hit a few track days. The car has been mostly broken since I bought it in 2017. Having 2 kids since then doesn't help. I just track my daily M3 and the S13 sits sad. Need to either use it or move it along. I'll toss up some updates once I make progress. Setup is basically the same as Def had.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #1229
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Oh no, NRR was a great resource
I take it nobody was able to do a dump of the site before it went down?

And K swaps in 240s? What world did I come back to haha.
Looking forward to your updates, I'll do the same.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #1230
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Oh no, NRR was a great resource
I take it nobody was able to do a dump of the site before it went down?

And K swaps in 240s? What world did I come back to haha.
Looking forward to your updates, I'll do the same.
Lucky, what part of Philly are you in? I’m local and should have my car up here in the next couple of months. Is your car street legal? If so what steps did you have to take in order to get it inspected? I’m coming from Fla and there were no inspections or emissions down there.