Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
copdodger

Trader Rating: (1)
copdodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
won't engage 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd at stop

So basically as the title states. Car only used for commuting, and seems that it doesn't do it in the morning, but in the afternoon when temps are in the 90s the warmer the car gets along commute the worse it gets.

When it won't go in first, bump it into second and roll tires 1/4 turn and can get first and take off, if it won't go into second bump it in third and it will go to second and then can bump it into first. *Then* sometimes when its at its worst and i actually get to rolling start in first the car shakes violently until clutch is fully released

Another clutch issue is again, when its at its worst, and i slow down at a red light and depress clutch, it doesn't disengage and wants to keep moving forward even when i am holding the brake.

Clutch cylinder travels normally, i have viewed it from under car at cool temps and immediately after commuting and the travel seems to be consistent no matter conditions. i have flushed the system and have new fluid throughout. didn't change symptoms

my thoughts are bad clutch or flywheel?? idk, just got this car and already realized i need a new diff (vlsd grinds), now this issue...........

tldr; sometimes when hot out, car doesn't want to go into first, so i have to start moving in second, then can downshift to first and go. problem get worse and doesn't allow second at times either. car shakes bad when accelerating from stop if it is being really bad.

Last edited by copdodger; 10-02-2019 at 12:18 PM..
copdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
duballstar37
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
duballstar37 is on the path to ruinduballstar37 is on the path to ruinduballstar37 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like the Throw Out Bearing...

Do you hear any irregular sounds when engaging/disengaging the clutch?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had similar issues when clutch pivot ball wasn't tightened enough
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
copdodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by duballstar37 View Post
Sounds like the Throw Out Bearing...

Do you hear any irregular sounds when engaging/disengaging the clutch?
Only when beginning to depress clutch. when beginning to engage i can hear it, but sounds normal, or atleast not metal grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
I had similar issues when clutch pivot ball wasn't tightened enough
this is something i haven't thought of, but sounds reasonable. did you have problems disengaging the clutch at times too?? the only thing that is still weird is that heat plays a factor. mornings are fine, afternoon commutes home are bad.

thanks for the help

my thoughts are change fluid and see if improved, if not just drop the damn transmission, but i can't be without a car for that long.... sucks
Old 10-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do a new clutch master and slave with fresh fluids. Your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Could also be the release bearing surface worn out on the bearing face or pressure plate.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
I was having an intermittent issues with chattering/shaking whilst engaging 1st, then later with not being able to get in/out of gears randomly. Eventually, one of the damper springs left it's post.

[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
copdodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
I was having an intermittent issues with chattering/shaking whilst engaging 1st, then later with not being able to get in/out of gears randomly. Eventually, one of the damper springs left it's post.
again, this seems likely. and would also explain (or perhaps eventually cause) the shaking upon acceleration.

i guess i have to get my 'recently removed from insurance cause i got a 240' backup car on insurance again while i tear into the 240, lol.

Last edited by copdodger; 10-02-2019 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: remove pic