Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
harman.alex

Trader Rating: (0)
harman.alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20 Blow Through Z32 MAF

I have an s13 sr20, i bought it with a Tial Q non recirculation BOV. Rather than getting a recirculating one, i am considering doing a Blow Through Setup with a Z32 MAF

What I already know:

Need a metal, sealed MAF housing
Needs to be on the cold side
Some straight pipe on either side for smooth flow
Bov before the MAF

What i want to know:
Has anyone done it (not people you have heard about, YOU!)
Did it work well
How long did the MAF last
Bov on hot or cold side
Will it work on a ROM tune
Other suggestions

Please don't comment unless you have done it yourself, there's enough confusion regarding the topic already.
harman.alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I've done it on a few cars. Its only worth the trouble if you are willing to expend the energy and resources for the only real benefit on most cars, of not worrying about whether air will be flowing backwards through the maf, or leaving your nicely closed system (atmospheric bypass). Although it makes tuning easier (compared to map) I would rather deal with a map tune than a maf on the pressure side.

I never found the hassle (it adds a significant length of time to removing/installing plumbing, extra clamps, couplers) or additional complexity (its an extra 2+ places to have leaks, clamps, couplers) to be worth the end result. Honestly if the maf bothers you go MAP.

OH and, always put the blow-off (bypass) as close to the compressor as possible. its job is to protect the compressor, and the shorter the distance between the relief and the compressor the faster it will relief (less volume of air to remove, makes the rate of change of drop pressure faster).
Old 11-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Although not an SR20 forum, ka-t.org has a similar thread that may answer some of your questions on longevity, placement, and tune options

http://www.ka-t.org/viewtopic.php?f=...t=blow+through

I'm KA-T and blow through with the stock plastic housing trimmed to fit a coupler on the flanged side. I definitely had a leak at the MAF electronics cap but sealed it up good and ran a boost leak test on it until I was happy with the results. Been running for around 5 or 6 months on it now at 10psi.