Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Recklessafterthought

Trader Rating: (0)
Recklessafterthought is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this setup a good place to start?

Hey guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Figured general would be safe for anything, right? Just getting back into the scene after a break and doing boring adult stuff. Totaled my car and Im shopping around for something. So I was looking for some opinions on if this setup is a good place to start or am I looking at trouble?

Red top SR20DET in 240 coupe
30x12x3 fmic blitz bov
tuned on 1 bar 14.7 psi
top mount obx manifold T28 turbo
obx 3" dp and full 3" exhaust needs a new muffler
just replaced tank pump and filter
d2 fully adjustable front coilovers rear Megan racing with fully adjustable arms
front and rear strut bars
black with red stitch racing bucket seats 8/10 interior crackless dash
hud cluster nice radio
boost and air/fuel gauges under radio short shifter

Im looking for a daily driver but I dont drive a lot of miles. Maybe 3-400 a month. I know its hard to tell with no pics, Im told there is no rust anywhere on the car, has new paint but needs some touchups. Would I be getting in way over my head or does this look like something I can work with and build on? I was gonna offer $5k, which would leave me with about $2k to make adjustments where needed. My final goal would be 300whp. Oh and the injectors are stock and it needs a new turbo to manifold gasket. Thoughts? Sorry for the lack of details but Im hoping some of you have some useful feedback. Thanks!
Recklessafterthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Is this your first 240? Are you mechanically inclined? Pics would help greatly. As a general rule you dont want to buy someone elses swapped car unless it was done well. There are SO many hackjob swaps out there its not even funny. If you can get pics, post them up.. Will help a little bit. Go test drive the car, chech the frame rails/rockers for rust/damage, check for fluid leaks, exhaust smoke, etc etc.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Recklessafterthought

Trader Rating: (0)
Recklessafterthought is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No this will be my 4th 240sx. I had one that was a project for a while and swapped in an rb20det. So I feel comfortable to mess around with them. Sr20det will be new to me but Im not scared to learn. Im assuming the swap was done by him but hes had all the work done at the shop he works at. Says the car runs a little rich but I want to get it tuned and possibly upgrade the injectors anyways. No knocks or ticks. 8k on the swapped motor. I know thats always a gamble in itself. Im just starting to think there really is no sure way to know what Im getting. But if whats present seems decent, I dont mind investing money into something. I'll be heading up to test drive it this week. Im told there's no rust whatsoever. I havent seen pics of the engine bay at all but the body seems to be in good shape. I'll definitely make it a point to get dirty and check under the car for frame dmg. Rockers look clean as it was just repainted. I just wanted to know if this sounded like a cheap setup to people or if it sounded like something worth building off of.
Recklessafterthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
EvilRB
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
EvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond reputeEvilRB has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EvilRB Send a message via MSN to EvilRB
Without seeing the car in person or pics atleast it's hard to say man. your not providing alot of information here so I'll just leave you with this advice.
Get the engine comprssion tested and everything checked out the best you can
just because you know the guy still protect yourself, business is business
Leave money for fixes
and bottom line the car is worth whatever you feel it is worth to you
it's going to be your project so make sure your comfortable with it.
It's like gambling, you shouldn't bet if you can't afford to lose
But winning is so much fun!!!!!!!

Good luck man! And I hope you find a great car!