Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
BiggBriggs

Trader Rating: (0)
BiggBriggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to BiggBriggs Send a message via Yahoo to BiggBriggs
Unhappy Major problems..

Hello!
I recently put a 1995 KA into my hatchback and while driving it it suddenly began to over heat, I pulled over to the side of the freeway and the car died out, I pulled out the thermostat and ended up having to wait 2 hours before I could finally get the car to start again..
I started driving it again and it was shooting out butt loads of white smoke for the first few minutes, then it stopped but the car wouldn't idle at all
I got it up to the event I was heading to watch and had a few friends look at it and all they could tell me was it wasn't healthy..
so I ended up getting it towed home where its sat for a 2 weeks...this is my 3rd KA into this car and its still not working all with overheating problems (first had a cracked block, second was just a failure, this one worked and just decided to all of a sudden overheat and not work)..I would just go CA or SR but I am short on cash and want to fix this ka if I can..
I originally thought it was a head gasket, but the oil is clean
there are no leaks anywhere on the engine as far I can tell (which is partially why I went with it)
I looked over the rest of the engine and I found that my spark plug wires are no good, the first and third wont even come out and the 4th has melted and broken off while the second came out fine but partially melted..
The coolant that came out of the car was brown as well
I'll try and post pictures later
I dont know what is going wrong with the car at all or what would cause it to mess up this bad after overheating one time...?
any suggestions on what to do? What could be wrong?
I am thinking I'll buy new spark plug wires and spark plugs and if I can get the car to start then I'll take it to a shop and get it checked out more..I want to avoid towing fees again if possible
any help would be greatly appreciated..and I'm still learning and short on tools with no garage but I'll do my best to give you guys all the information I can!
please help!
thank you
- Josh
BiggBriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Do a compression and leak down test
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Likethunda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Likethunda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my car blew lots of white smoke before,, what i originally thought was it had a Cracked head gasket.... but it turns out, it was just a Bad spark plug... the Gasoline wasnt being burned it was just going through the chamber without combustion and coming out white..... so i swapped the plugs and all was well..

You did mention your wires were bad..

Try swapping those out.. and Check your Radiator/Thermostat make sure your sensors are working also...

if anything upgrade to a Larger radiator.. those Do WOrk
Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
BiggBriggs

Trader Rating: (0)
BiggBriggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to BiggBriggs Send a message via Yahoo to BiggBriggs
I'll definitely get it tested when I take it to the shop~
thank you sileighty~

I'll get new wires and spark plugs and see if it runs better then! thank you thunda!

I'll check my sensors, but to be honest I think I'm going to run without a thermostat, what is everyones opinion on that?? My friend has had his SR for 2 years and has ran it without a thermostat the whole time with no problems, and with mine constantly having overheating problems I'm about ready to dump the thermostats for good..

also, with my engine being a 95 in a 91 body, should I get heater hoses off of an s14 or a hatchback?
BiggBriggs is offline   Reply With Quote