Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > North Western States

North Western States Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #361
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
12:1 is pretty high. e85 build though with it would be pretty cool.

nice, what offsets and tire sizes Sound?

smallest turbo you can run with the right A/R will be the most fun to drive. billet wheel and BB too and you're in bizzniss.

as far as Hondas, i just cant stand the Honda scene.. the cars and engines can be kick ass. ive wanted to boost a s2k for a while, am considering a TL for a daily, and would love a boosted k20 RWD swapped ek hatch to troll people with. i just can't stand the scene, mostly the civic people.. especially in WA. always some asshole in a civic blasting music or doing burnouts or something stupid at meets and shows. i hate it, it ruins spots for us all the time.. some of the rattle can hoonibro driftswag 240 morons contribute as well unfortunately
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #362
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I get the response reasoning, but I'm kind of an all out type of person. So if you want instant response, go compound. Super charger for low end and turbo for top end. Or get a car that has low end torque, so you're basically n/a when puttering around town, but when you get on it, you better be ready to drive when that turbo kicks in.

300 hp is a nice daily, but you'll get bored of it after a while and then want to up it.

I hear you with the 'honda scene' man. These younglings just don't know how to act and I start to understand why people don't like going to meets. But my thing is, don't go to meets where there will be stupid people and make up your own small community where grown ups can be just that, grown ups.

I have to measure the wheel well spacing and then I'll know what rims to buy. I should get on it, but the engine is almost in pieces, so I should get that taken cared of first...
Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #363
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
I get the response reasoning, but I'm kind of an all out type of person. So if you want instant response, go compound. Super charger for low end and turbo for top end. Or get a car that has low end torque, so you're basically n/a when puttering around town, but when you get on it, you better be ready to drive when that turbo kicks in.

300 hp is a nice daily, but you'll get bored of it after a while and then want to up it.

Twin charge is stupid for 4 cylinder imo, left foot brake to keep the spool up and don't run a BOV. To save on tires at the track, going above and beyond 300hp is expensive. I'm not really interested in competition, more about exhibition and style. I know a lot of guys that chased after the Formula Drift dream, made it in, and left it for good for various reasons. I'd like to follow the trend of keeping a sustainable local level community and introduce local businesses to the drift scene. Seeing the marketing aspect from the local NASCAR level, there really isn't a reason why we can't build race/drift programs at a regional level. Events like Final Bout, NissanFest, DriftCon, and Evergreen Drift are really attracting big crowds.

I want my car to be streetable, comfortable enough to drive to the track and back, show up to meets, etc. The max HP I would want out of my motors would be 360hp. Response doesn't matter as long as it's got a good tune. I'm still a long ways from what I want my car to be. I'm actively thinking about helping others build their race program while experimenting on my own. The key component is marketing, which most people don't understand.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #364
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

That's true, for a 4 banger, it might be over kill and you should build your car the way you want. I was simply stating my opinion and a little from what I have seen people do.

In terms of your marketing scheme, I applaud your efforts and seriously wish you the best. It reminds me of many start up companies. All you need is a GOOD idea, some cash and TRUE friends who have the SAME vision and goal.

The worse thing about a race program is that you have to break something before you know for sure what you have to improve upon. It's really annoying.

I'm with you with the streetable aspect, but there are different levels and tolerances. What's streetable for you might not be for someone else.
I always tell people that just because your track car has lights and is street legal does not make it 'streetable' to most. For instance, I can't stand a rattling car.....lol
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #365
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
Found what I was looking for. the old KA24DER kit's with the eaton m62 supercharger. reminds me of the old SC t-bird days and the whinin' 90.

Im starting to look for one now.
someday I will also make my Mad Science business more than just a running gag but an actual tuning shop. I have a few buds who want in, the issue is. I dont want to stay in the PNW for it. XD I love it here, but i miss the south east alot. there are opportunities up here though. the crowd is getting smaller with the new generation of cars out.

right now my plan is to find a good running96+ DE motor and trans, swap it into my S14, and rebuild the current low compression motor with new pistons and bearings and rings, and then go through the head and touch it in odd places till it gives me what i want, then swap the supercharger set up all at once running a MAP systems on a vipec using a in house tune. trying for 10 psi intercooled and eventually moving to a 15 lb pulley and air to water set up. been up late last night drawing out rough sketches of how ot make it work. should net me somewhere close to 250 whp. which is more than fair with a roots and its parasytic drag. and

Dat whine!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #366
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Found what I was looking for. the old KA24DER kit's with the eaton m62 supercharger. reminds me of the old SC t-bird days and the whinin' 90.

Im starting to look for one now.
someday I will also make my Mad Science business more than just a running gag but an actual tuning shop. I have a few buds who want in, the issue is. I dont want to stay in the PNW for it. XD I love it here, but i miss the south east alot. there are opportunities up here though. the crowd is getting smaller with the new generation of cars out.

right now my plan is to find a good running96+ DE motor and trans, swap it into my S14, and rebuild the current low compression motor with new pistons and bearings and rings, and then go through the head and touch it in odd places till it gives me what i want, then swap the supercharger set up all at once running a MAP systems on a vipec using a in house tune. trying for 10 psi intercooled and eventually moving to a 15 lb pulley and air to water set up. been up late last night drawing out rough sketches of how ot make it work. should net me somewhere close to 250 whp. which is more than fair with a roots and its parasytic drag. and

Dat whine!
Tyler Archuleta has one with the KA adapter FS, he's in Lynnwood.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #367
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

would love to see a blower setup on a ka. badassery!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #368
chris_240sx
Zilvia Junkie

chris_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykydtron View Post
I'm not really interested in competition, more about exhibition and style. I know a lot of guys that chased after the Formula Drift dream, made it in, and left it for good for various reasons. I'd like to follow the trend of keeping a sustainable local level community and introduce local businesses to the drift scene.
Agreed. As a wise friend told me "bros before pros". Competition driving seems to take a lot of the fun from the sport, and even if it doesn't, it takes all the style out.

KA24DER are neat. I would still like to build one someday
chris_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #369
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Adam from KA-T.org is selling this kit, but it needs the blower.
And as Wyk said, there seems to be someone local selling one as well.

I hear you with the running gag thing. I have so many ideas, but not enough capitol or help to get them started. So I wish you luck with your future plans.
But I do wish you would keep it in the PNW though, but totally understand why you wouldn't. Fewer people are actually tuning these days. Maybe tune as a side service rather than the only / main service?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #370
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

I want to open a shop that specilizes in tuning, but I want to be known for making "street cars" too many guys want to go full "race". i want to spend the time making cars that have full a/c and power steering and sound insulation for the cabin, to compliment the roll bar and racing seats. its a niche market, but if you can modify your 240 the way you want and keep it smog legal and with a/c how cool is that?

and yes Im picking up adam's De-R kit, already have a M62 being flown in from florida too. going to be rebuilding that and starting Project Storm DERagon here when I get back....

just found out Ill be helping my best friends friend swap a NA Z32 with Twin turbo bits, and hes going to give me his old NA trans.... so ill be doing the mazworx swap as well as the supercharger.... things are looking up!. minus my bank account

#thisiswhyimsingle #becauseroadkill
Old 07-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #371
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I want to open a shop that specilizes in tuning, but I want to be known for making "street cars" too many guys want to go full "race". i want to spend the time making cars that have full a/c and power steering and sound insulation for the cabin, to compliment the roll bar and racing seats. its a niche market, but if you can modify your 240 the way you want and keep it smog legal and with a/c how cool is that?

and yes Im picking up adam's De-R kit, already have a M62 being flown in from florida too. going to be rebuilding that and starting Project Storm DERagon here when I get back....

just found out Ill be helping my best friends friend swap a NA Z32 with Twin turbo bits, and hes going to give me his old NA trans.... so ill be doing the mazworx swap as well as the supercharger.... things are looking up!. minus my bank account

#thisiswhyimsingle #becauseroadkill
Do you have s13 a/c piping, compressor, exchanger, and rad? I want to buy all that and convert to R134.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #372
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

I do not have anything from an s13. I do think somewhere I have the S14 compressor, radiator and a/c piping. if my roomate hasnt thrown those out. ill get back to you

and guess who spent entirely too much on just 260 hp...

this guy XD dances
Old 07-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #373
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Well good luck with your shop but I think that niche is bigger than you think because the ecu on some, if not most cars, allows you to have multiple maps.
My Nissan that's flashed was suppose to hold up to 5 maps and you use the cruise control to switch between them.

So if you have a shop that tunes race cars to people who simply want to up their hp a little n/a, that is a nice wide range. In fact, the only reason why most people don't spend too much time tuning, is the price of it.

So if you're not too expensive, your shop should be full almost every day.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #374
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
The issue is those "full race" guys are the ones that pay your bills in between the street guys.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #375
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah that's the catch to it all. getting a few full fledged race cars pays the most outta the street cars out there.

and yeah that's the future of aftermarket tuning, throw in a good ecu that can replicate all the stock CAN system signals and pass emissions and at the flick of a switch change to race mode. I saw the ford racing tune thing on the new mustang 5.0 with the variable cam timing, and was helluv impressed it could go froma smooth sounding v8 to a thumping basterd.

I havent really wrote downa business plan yet, but my Dad said to start building a business you need an angle. and narrowing down that angle is hard because id like to do everyone, tune, build, engine work, chassis work, cf mod, lexan mod.
but i cant devote myself to all of them and be the master of all.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #376
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Yeah that's the catch to it all. getting a few full fledged race cars pays the most outta the street cars out there.

and yeah that's the future of aftermarket tuning, throw in a good ecu that can replicate all the stock CAN system signals and pass emissions and at the flick of a switch change to race mode. I saw the ford racing tune thing on the new mustang 5.0 with the variable cam timing, and was helluv impressed it could go froma smooth sounding v8 to a thumping basterd.

I havent really wrote downa business plan yet, but my Dad said to start building a business you need an angle. and narrowing down that angle is hard because id like to do everyone, tune, build, engine work, chassis work, cf mod, lexan mod.
Subaru's and G/Z chassis.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #377
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Wyky has a point.

Your shop has to be able to tune most of the cars that people are actually tuning.

It can be said quite a few ways, but it comes down to finding that 'niche' that people would pay for and being good at it because it will be copied.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #378
S30ZG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
S30ZG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

Yup a business plan will definitely help you figure out what direction you want to take your shop in. Putting your ideas down on paper and figuring out a business plan is a major key to seeing if opening you're own shop is a viable option. The other crucial component is getting customers in the door and with a solid rep that an established shop has that can be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S30ZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #379
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S30ZG View Post
Yup a business plan will definitely help you figure out what direction you want to take your shop in. Putting your ideas down on paper and figuring out a business plan is a major key to seeing if opening you're own shop is a viable option. The other crucial component is getting customers in the door and with a solid rep that an established shop has that can be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are both right on this. The issue I have with subaru's isnt that I dislike them. ive owned at least 3 series 2 and modified them extensively. its that Id have to compete with numerous of shops in the area because of that, that being said up in the Penninsula i could start a smaller business that would attract both the bases up in the area as all the tuning shops are tacoma/seatac area.

and if i had to aim for a niche, a surefire one would be the g/z culture, as well as hitting up the GT86 group, and even a side job with rotaries and the 2jz franchise. that's what id aim for. the rotary thing is because i like BDSM and things that spin.

On a more serious note. I do appreciate all the input, there are a few more things I want to accomplish before I settle down into a tuning job full time. I figure I could tune cars on the side out of the house as a sort of startup and get a porfolio together. I have a guy who wants to be a fabricator but knows nothing about efi/dfi electronics ( old school carb'd v8 guy who likes swapping weird stuff. helped with my 1uz s14 and we did a 350 volvo)

I just need more wrench time. XD all this sea time is making my hands soft
Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #380
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

I never have a problem lending a helping hand or giving advice from what I've seen and observed. Starting a business is nerve racking, but if it's properly planned out, can be very successful.
There are two things to also remember, don't try to grow too fast and don't expect to be a millionaire in 5 months. But you seem to want to start slow to begin with, which is good.

I don't know why, but all the shops are far away from Seattle and is more South. Having to drive for almost an hour just to get my car tuned is quite annoying...lol
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #381
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

omfg bdsm and things that spin. ROTARY!

anyway. sounds similar to my goals for a shop. i have 3+ years left active though. my 240sx is gonna be my portfolio, hopefully, to get me a bit of street cred and a name for myself. all the luck bro and if we can collab or help one another im always game to get dirty.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #382
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
my 240sx is gonna be my portfolio
This is / was my plan. I have various cars that no one would think is boosted or fast.
So my plan is to show that I can build a fast car that doesn't rattle, have all the accessories fully functional AND looks stock.

So my initial plan is to have various cars. Some for looks, others for the track and some as a fast DD with good gas mileage when you're not on it.

Either way, good luck with your shops fellas, let me know when the grand opening is....lol
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #383
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Installed my STi injectors, going to wire the new pigtails in tomorrow and throw in the standalone!

Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #384
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Quote:
This is / was my plan. I have various cars that no one would think is boosted or fast.
So my plan is to show that I can build a fast car that doesn't rattle, have all the accessories fully functional AND looks stock.

So my initial plan is to have various cars. Some for looks, others for the track and some as a fast DD with good gas mileage when you're not on it.

Either way, good luck with your shops fellas, let me know when the grand opening is....lol
you should check out my idol.. Tom Nelson at Nelson Racing Engines. He built probably my favorite build ever and the sorta inspiration for the 240, Nelson Supercar #004 1969 Camaro.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/~...ercar-004.html
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #385
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
you should check out my idol.. Tom Nelson at Nelson Racing Engines. He built probably my favorite build ever and the sorta inspiration for the 240, Nelson Supercar #004 1969 Camaro.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/~...ercar-004.html
OMG!!! That thing is NASTY!!!!! A thing of BEAUTY!!!!

That is similar to my goal with the S14. Staggered wheels, clean lines, all black. No set of body kits, no scraping due to being too low, just a nice clean ride.

I went to buy my rims yesterday, but was a little more than what I wanted to spend.

Wyky, when do you think you'll be firing up that monster?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #386
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

I got a 07 wrx turned STI, a 400 whp BPU Mk4 Supra, a record holding PNW NA subaru 2.5rs, and now my 240 to put as a porfolio. . . .
Id love to get me a little NA FC to shoot around with. maybe a GTUs.

Ill be for sure letting you guys know if and when I start something. I also have near 2.5 years left in active before I can look seriously at buying a shop. My favorite mods are not turbo, or cams, rather porting, and the math required for peak NA hp effeciency
Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #387
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Something wiggled in my pants when I read 'MK4 Supra'.....lol. That's one of my dream cars right next to a FD.

Isn't there a FC for sale on craigslist? Think it didn't have an engine though.

If I auto-crossed alot, I wouldn't mind a n/a build, but the cost to hp ratio gets me and I always just think super or pro charger.....lol
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #388
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Wyky, when do you think you'll be firing up that monster?
later today when i get everything in
Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #389
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykydtron View Post
later today when i get everything in
Oh shyt, congrats pimp.

Will it be already tuned and ready to go or do you still have to get that done?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #390
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Oh shyt, congrats pimp.

Will it be already tuned and ready to go or do you still have to get that done?
Finishing up the wiring today, I removed my tucked harness last night and will be cleaning up a part of the harness that has old wireloom on it.

The base map provided will get me around the neighborhood for 5 minute data logs. Revisions will be on-going until I can go WOT. Thankfully I live next to a stretch of highway that is in a large valley.