Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
hchase17

Trader Rating: (0)
hchase17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
280 zx misfire/cold start condition

I have an 83 280zxt. When it has sat for a few hours it is hard to start. I have to hit the gas to get it to crank. Then it will run very rough for only a few minutes maybe 5 or so and then it goes almost completely away and just has a little misfire. It also backfires when I let out of the gas sometimes and while it is running rough when i first start it it sometimes backfires. I have put new temp sensors in it ( both of them). Does anyone know what it could be?
hchase17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
RGHilux

Trader Rating: (0)
RGHilux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The ignition pickup and trigger wheel on the '82-'83 models is inside the distributor. Check the distributor shaft for play, and look for possible contact marks where the wheel might've contacted the pickup, indicating worn shaft bushings. Your ignition pickup itself may be intermittent as well. Since you say that it is backfiring at different times and rpm's, I would lean towards an ignition problem first.

Have you done any other regular maintenance lately like fuel filter, cap/rotor, plugs/wires?
RGHilux is offline   Reply With Quote