Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Crash's 2-Tone Redemption

I've always wanted a 2-tone since I got into 240's..especially this color. I don't know what it is, but CG5 Creamy Yellow was a bucket list one for me. This car specifically I've known about for a very long time and when the opportunity to pick it up presented itself, I jump on it sight unseen while still living in Germany back in June of last year.

Fast forward to December when I finally came home, I finally got to take it for a spin. It was dirty and grimy from sitting for 6 months so I took a good amount of time to go through the car to clean and wash it down.

Next thing I noticed was smoke coming from the hood and oil burning. I checked it out and realized that the V/C was leaking. Too easy, I'll just tighten the bolts down, good to go. Not with my luck, someone had over tightened the shit of of them and stripped out almost all the bolt holes. You know what time it is!!

So with that, I starting going through all of the systems and making sure that everything worked properly..ya know..because it was going to be my DD until my cars showed up. Go to try the windshield washer...nothing. Oh boy was that fun. Seems the fluid was soo old that it has become gelatinous?

Like, how the fuck does that even happen? Either way, I got that sorted and started ordering parts for the front end since it clunks and just feels like absolute shit. Scored a deal on a Nardi for a hundo. Scooped up a hub and threw it on. Also found a BNIB set of half/half bumper lights from Japan since everyone here wants crazy amount of money for used, cracked ones.

By this time I'd locked down a job, gotten my cars from Gemany right before the new year, and closed on a new house in February!! Soo happy to have my own space after slumming it with the in-laws for like 2 months. All my stuff got delivered that weekend. Not too long afterwards I came across a deal that was WAAAAAY too good to pass up. More info in the next post, but i'll leave you with this teaser.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 09-13-2021 at 09:45 AM..
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
So I was perusing the local FB groups one day while at work, looking for parts, ya know, the usual. Came across this thing for a decent price; talked him down and got it for a steal.

If you've never had the opportunity to just tear into a car that you don't care about, you should try it. Just..feels rewarding.

Threw it up on jack stands and starting stripping it down. I figured I could part the car and make most if not all my money back and still have all the important stuff I wanted in the first place.

3 weeks later and a few dollars, it was on it's way.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 07-05-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
This looks like it will be entertaining. Nice looking coupe and house- congrats!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
wow, I never seen "nut" in a bottle before.

so I have a full grey interior I can ship to you so u can get rid of that brown..
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
wow, I never seen "nut" in a bottle before.

so I have a full grey interior I can ship to you so u can get rid of that brown..
haha. yeah, i honestly thought it was a condom stuffed in there when i was trying to fish out the plug with a coat hanger.

The brown, it kind of works for me if its in great condition. I got the car and it has no cracks in the dash, plastic are in great condition. That all ended about 2 months ago with the wild swings in temperature we've been having. 3 cracks in 1 day..super pissed. If its a complete interior, I may be interested; 240s are getting hard to find in junkyards local to me..I know of 1, and its a hatch.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Was this car local to raleigh? I used to cruise into work and see this or a similar unmolested 2t banana pretty often on capital blvd.
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Car was picked up from the original owner by my friend back in the day and then he sold it to his brother who I'm pretty sure went to UNC based on the sticker in the back window. The buddy I got it from lives over in Wilson. It very possible its one in the same.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 08-30-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Ahh cool, I know Danny, he's moving this way. Pretty sure we have met before as well, way back when CN was around, Pat maybe? Are you back in the area?
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

P2, indeed. Did the Army thing for a while, now I'm home. CNEA!!! I feel like an asshole, but who are you?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Oh man, so jealous of that color combo. Can't wait to see where this build goes, making me want to try to find another two tone myself...
Old 06-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Haven't been much of any updates. I've been looking for some odds and ends and piecing together the rest of the Z-brakes. Kid went to sleep pretty early last night so I had a little extra time to mess around in the garage. Started tackling the motor I pulled from the part out.

I knew going into it that quite a few of these parts would not be staying on the motor so I might as well remove them. Overall its in fairly decent shape....however, I was very suspect of the motor when I learned that the PO tried pushing 1000cc Injectors on a stock ECU and turbo

Check out CYL 2&3 exhaust ports..wet from fuel still. Also, No turbo outlet gasket, and no thermostat..come one now! He was impressively bad at using gasket maker so I've been planning on resealing the motor.

Going to get started on cleaning some stuff tonight and pulling the clutch of to see what it even is.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 07-05-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

BUT WAIT!! There's more!!!

Know what I love more than people who don't know what they're doing? People who over torque bolts. Never mind that one flywheel bolt was missing, but I'm fairly sure 7 of the 8 bolt holes are now stripped. Fuck that guy.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 07-05-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Walkerbondd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep her clean, only a couple nice 240s left in the raleigh area. Good build so far, subbed to see more!
Walkerbondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Damn it man... Some people shouldn't be near engines. Good to see that you're fixing those errors, and doing it right.

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Unit 02

Trader Rating: (0)
Unit 02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
liquid gasket all things...

glad you sorting it out bud
Unit 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
silviamang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
silviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her selfsilviamang is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The car looks great!
Hopefully the previous owner of the SR never got it running with those injectors to damage the motor.
1000cc with no tune....what a guy.
silviamang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #17
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerbondd View Post
Keep her clean, only a couple nice 240s left in the raleigh area. Good build so far, subbed to see more!
Unfortunately. After the demise of Carolina Nissans; the local scene seems to have gone down hill pretty quick. A lot of the guys have, for lack of a better term, grown up and/or moved on. This is probably the last one for me as well because I feel like I have some unfinished business from my last coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Damn it man... Some people shouldn't be near engines. Good to see that you're fixing those errors, and doing it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviamang View Post
The car looks great!
Hopefully the previous owner of the SR never got it running with those injectors to damage the motor.
1000cc with no tune....what a guy.
Hey, Ebay shit is cool for some people, and works for certain things.... just not how I do business though. I sat back and mulled over the motor and have come to the realization that even though I may have basically gotten it "for free", its going to end up being a build. If I crack open the motor, which I'd be a fool not to at this point, there's a 99% chance I'll find some more sketch shit. That being said, throwing a couple grand at is definitely on the table; or the motor itself will just become some man cave furniture.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #18
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Unrelated update. Gentleman flew in from Texas on Monday evening to look at the car. After some good conversation and a couple beers, we agreed on a price for the wagon. I loaded it with all the parts and the transport showed up this afternoon. It's a sad day to see it go, but he's a real enthusiast and it's going to a good home.

So what's this all mean? It opens up a rather large budget now for the 240.

Last edited by crash n' burn; 07-05-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #19
Primo's Silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Primo's Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ohh man I didn't even know wagons exsisted !! , good luck with build!
Primo's Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 AM   #20
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo's Silvia View Post
Ohh man I didn't even know wagons exsisted !! , good luck with build!
European market car. They were special order for Japan and delivered LHD. Found this in downtown Munich a few years ago and ended up bringing it home with me when I moved back to the states.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Luckily the Photobucket debacle happened early on in this thread. Switched over to a new host, fixed the thread.

Little update though. Since I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket from selling the wagon, I treated the ole' girl to some suspension. Coils, rear arms, and bushings are ordered. Pretty back logged so I doubt any of it will be in before I head to my AT next week. Working on getting the last of the rear brakes and mulling over some 5-lug wheel options.

Since I was headed down memory lane transferring my pictures over, I figured I'd share my last coupe with you guys. This was the culmination of 5 years of beginning to rebuild this car from an empty shell as a broke ass 19yr old college kid. Some may have seen it, I also think I saw the shell for sale on here not too long ago; thought about buying it back for the hell of it. Can't believe I parted it out

Old 08-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #22
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Lots of packages came while I was gone!! Lots of things have happened as well. The wife knows I've been looking for a new daily. While I was away, she found this and pretty much bought it for me. Shout out to her, Wife of the Year status for finding me a RWD one; and, for a hella good price too. Now I'm just waiting on the title to come from the P/O's bank so I can register it.

Got 1 or 2 more things to pick up; and all this can start going in. I wanted to wait on doing the 5-Lugs, but now that I'll have more than enough time, I'll probably just push forward with it.

Honest opinions on the Villains output shafts to convert over to Z33 axles??

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #23
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
digging' the interior fabric
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #24
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Finally an update worth posting. Now that I got my new DD, i've been able to focus on the coupe a little more.

My front end was suuuper lose and I knew it was worn out; i'm glad I dealt with this deathtrap when I did. The balljoint practically fell apart when I took them out, bend tie-rods..etc etc. Looked to be original equipment..so this is MUCH better.

Moved to the back and pulled the subframe out. Cleaned up nicely, took the control arms and knuckles and installed new bushings and balljoints there as well. The subframe bushings are not in terrible shape honestly..but that's all I've got left to tackle before putting the rear end back together.

Next project is starting to flow in as well. I'm still on the fence if I want to go with over fenders or not..I just don't think I can justify the outrageous prices of a sheet metal front end right now. My buddy Matt came in clutch with an awesome deal on mint corners that was too good to pass up.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #25
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Wow..such hotness, much 80's.

Car got that Carolina Squat right now until I get the front situated tonight. Not insanely low, but more than enough for the crap-tastic roads around here. Headed to the shop for an alignment and inspection tomorrow. Also, spur of the moment FB marketplace find; ended up scoring a fresh piggy lip for cheeeeeap. No cracks and has the mounting brackets..pretty exciting, not going to lie..zenkis look like ass without them.

Reasonably low..nothing crazy until I get wheels and do the 5-lug/z brakes

Last edited by crash n' burn; 09-25-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #26
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Not too much excitement going on right now. I've been hitting the school work pretty hard and its leaving me with little time to do any major work to the car. I did finally replace all the bulbs in my dash buttons with LEDs since none of the lit up to begin with. Dug this key-ring light out of a box of old parts and wired it in too. I like it, just need to pop open my spare HVAC control and do the same to finish it off.

Thought I was getting a good deal on these dual projectors from a guy who was in a pinch and parting one of his projects. Well fuck me if he didn't try to scam me. Sent me a box full of junk. New-ish headlight brackets, and that's about the only thing worth keeping.

Driver's housing is split from top to bottom around the low beam projector, pass. side is obviously missing the inside mount, high beam projector is a jacked up, and the corner light screw mounts are broken in half on each side.

Soooo yeah, that's what I'm dealing with right now.

I also got rid of the annoying 3" exhaust this thing came with. Traded it for a stock unit. This is the first time I've had a 240 with a stock exhaust so please tell me, am I wrong in thinking it looks waaaaaay too close to the toe arm? I can't even get more then a pinky-tip between them and i'm worried about heat /contact. The hanger bushings are in good shape but since its supposed to be a temporary thing, I don't want it messing anything else up.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #27
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Been slacking on this hard core. Holidays, bought a new car, school, and now I'm about to move halfway across the country to Colorado next week. Done a few things, but mainly been working on the only other running S13 in town.

Spent a few nights shaving the caliper faces, stripping the old brush on paint, and rebuilding them. Picking up a set of s14se off my friend so I can do the 5-lugs/Z brakes. Also bought the last item I wanted for my 5spd swap. That'll all have to wait until we get settled in.

[/url]

[/url]

Got some good snow like 2 weekends in a row. X-drive is good, but not with 20" wheels and Pirellis, lol.

So, a simple HG change and ARP studs to prep it for turbo then turned into a motor swap and a half. motor was pissing coolant out of an empty exhaust stud. Excellent job extracting this stud; the dude charged him $50, and knowingly fucked it up because it was packed with JB weld. That stuff turns to putty with the coolant and heat.

I made a phone call to a friend and sourced him a super clean motor on the low, built bottom end with a new clutch. It was a S14 motor so I swapped lower manifold, new top end gaskets and what not.

I also ended up 5lug swapping the rear, and correctly setting up his coilovers.

Did some other things here and there like fixing some wiring, gauges, aligning the car, fixing power steering, etc etc etc....basically undoing some of the hacked up shit on this car performed by a local shop from a dual cam swap. Motor fired up first crank and sounds incredibly healthy for a basically an unknown buy.

That'll be it for a short time until we get the house sold here. I've got something special coming in the mail right now and hope it shows up before I leave next weekend.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #28
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Secured. Tires are meh, but they'll hold me over for a short while until I can find some nice wheels or build a set of 3pc if I can find ones I like. Probably slap some new tires on them since the kid liked to do burn outs with his open and fried the one side.

I just have to buy ball joints and bushings for the S14 arms as well as a new set of tie rods. Also scooped up a worn out J30 vlsd to steal the 6 bolt output flanges for my shimmed Z32 rear end. I've yet to get off my ass to sent those flanges off to Villains for the Z33 conversion so it'll be nice to be able actually use the diff in the meantime.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Man, I can't get enough of this thread. I LOVE when people take on simple, well-thought-out S13 builds like this. Reminds me of a time when things were simpler. Your previous blue coupe gives me the same type of vibe- so cool! I am really into the stock exhaust swap as well oddly enough, lol.

I actually really like the look of the two tone with a simple drop on the factory hub caps. Oddly satisfying, haha. Keep up the good work and good luck with the move!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #30
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Well then..its been a hell of a few months. Did the drive in 2 days, saw a ton of nothing. This will be a long post.

If you live in Kansas..how. Its soo desolate out there. I hit this 2 lane road through West Kansas and didn't see anyone for a half-hour at a time.

I got to my friend's house where I'd be staying for who knew how long. Did an oil change and some maintenance on the dad wagon. Settled in and started the new job the next day.

Met some awesome new people after a few weeks. We went drifting and slayed some quarter panels. This is right about when I started realizing this was exactly what I needed. I love it here.

Then about 2.5mo and a different realtor later the day finally came! We had an offer on the house!! It was a cash deal, quick close, and went under contract that Monday. I immediately went house hunting and found a bangin' deal in the perfect neighborhood. They accepted the offer and went under contract Tuesday night.

This is where everything went to shit....like..worst possible time. Fountain had the worst hail storm in 20+ years. I woke up at a little before 2:30am to tennis and baseball hail hitting the house. Never had a chance. My stomach turned as I stood on the porch and watched everything in sight get obliterated for close to 2 hours. Every car parked outside was totaled, houses with holes in the roofs, etc. I'd already seen videos but never experienced it.

Safe to say, I was heart broken. I knew it'd be a giant pain in the ass to get taken care of. Luckily I borrowed my buddy's beater while he was on vacation. I was set to move the family in 2 weeks. I got some work to do, will do a small follow up in a bit.