Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
k00laid83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gauging interest in Custom Cluster Harnesses

Hello Everyone,

I'm just trying to gauge some interest and see if the s-chassis community would be interested in a product like this. I'm currently working on a prototype gauge cluster harness. The custom cluster harness will be labeled for Fuel Signal, Fuel Signal Ground, Water Temp, Tach Signal, Left and Right Turn Signals, High Beam, 12v Constant Power, 12v Keyed Power, Illumination Power, Illumination Ground, VSS ECU Signal, VSS Positive, and VSS Ground. My idea is to have people avoid cutting up their original harness when running aftermarket gauges as their new gauge cluster. This harness will be a one plug that goes into the body harness. The reason it wouldn't have the second (black) plug is that from what I've seen that specific plug is different for each chassis. That plug is pinned different from SOHC and DOHC chassis, and that plug is mostly for indicator lights. I'm still pricing out that specific black connector to see if it's something worth doing. Personally, with my gauge cluster I have no indicator lights for my door open, brake, or battery. My goal is to make things easier for people. Making it easier for people to tackle their own wiring, almost like a stereo adapter. We gotta remember our cars are getting older and parts harder to find intact. I think it would be cool to be able to plug your oem cluster back in if you want without any issues.

Just want to see what everyone's thoughts are and if they would be interested in something like this. Everyone's input is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Raul

Facebook or Instagram:@tightfitfab
Email: [email protected]
Check Us Out At: www.tightfitfab.com

Last edited by k00laid83; 04-17-2020 at 08:51 AM..
k00laid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Well I noticed that I had my idea for my gauge cluster harnesses over a year ago now and I never updated this topic. For some reason the idea didn't really take off. Once, I posted my version 2 harnesses in the for sale section it seemed like some of the community took interest. I'll start posting updates here and might as well show my version 1 harnesses how they started and then move on to the version 2.

Version 1 harnesses were labeled for Fuel Signal, Fuel Signal Ground, Water Temp, Tach Signal, Left and Right Turn Signals, High Beam, 12v Constant Power, 12v Keyed Power, Illumination Power, Ground, VSS ECU Signal, VSS Positive, and VSS Negative. These harnesses only had one plug that goes into the body harness. It seemed well received on the facebook s-chassis communities.

Version 1:

Old 04-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Before I started selling these harnesses here, I've been selling these on Facebook S-Chassis, 240sx Owners Club, and KA24DET/KA24DE groups.

My Version 2 - s13 gauge cluster harnesses are done. I'm selling these harnesses for $65 (that covers PayPal fees & shipping in the US). All harnesses have Raychem heat shrink, made with 18-gauge American made primary wiring, and an OEM connectors that mates to the OEM body harness. These harnesses were made to work with USDM vehicles. I do have a RHD front cut harness but unfortunately, I have no way to test as of right now.

Version 2 harnesses include indicator lights for door open, brake, oil, check engine, and alt/battery indicator wires, with an additional ground. These harnesses still include everything from Version 1. Every custom cluster harness is labeled for Fuel Signal, Fuel Signal Ground, Water Temp, Tach Signal, Left and Right Turn Signals, High Beam, 12v Constant Power, 12v Keyed Power, Illumination Power, Ground, VSS ECU Signal, VSS Positive, and VSS Negative.

The idea for these harnesses is to have people avoid cutting up their original harness when running aftermarket gauges as their new gauge cluster, or help you wire in any cluster such as the nx1600, JDM 180sx Type-X, Haltech, and S2K clusters. It should make things easier for people to tackle their own wiring, just like a car stereo adapter. One thing to remember is our cars are getting older and parts are harder to find intact. I think it's cool to be able to plug your OEM cluster back in if you want without any issues.

If you're interested in one of these harnesses, please don't hesitate in contacting me. I can send PayPal invoices and should be having a website up soon. My PayPal email will be changing as well.

PayPal: [email protected]

Thank you,
Raul

Old 04-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Neat idea. Those are well done too. I'll have to bookmark this in the event i convert to a digital gauge cluster in the future.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
so this is plug and play then the extra wires are for gauges etc.....?

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
S14 stuff is what I am going to ask for. So here's a short list

S14 cluster adapter harness

S14 drivers steering airbag resistor "harness" -for using an aftermarket steering wheel minus the drivers side airbag, but atleast the passengers side stays active, with the cluster light off.

S14 window switch harness - so we can wire in a different set of switches without touching the harness since S14 switches are like gold now.

That's about all I can think of without asking you to turn into a mini Wiring specialties
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
so this is plug and play then the extra wires are for gauges etc.....?
Yes and No these are plug and play. Essentially, the extra wires are labeled to help you wire in what ever gauges or cluster you're going to use. My plan is in the future to offer plug and play cluster harnesses. It's just been difficult to source in bulk the connectors that will be used. My plan is to offer type-x, nx1600, and s2k conversion harnesses, but that's in the way future. If I'm being honest I don't make money on all of this I just use it to make more parts. I'm hoping that in the future with investing in all these parts that this will be something that the community helped build into a business.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
S14 stuff is what I am going to ask for. So here's a short list

S14 cluster adapter harness

S14 drivers steering airbag resistor "harness" -for using an aftermarket steering wheel minus the drivers side airbag, but atleast the passengers side stays active, with the cluster light off.

S14 window switch harness - so we can wire in a different set of switches without touching the harness since S14 switches are like gold now.

That's about all I can think of without asking you to turn into a mini Wiring specialties
My plan is to make s14 parts as well. I did pick up an s14 cluster that I have plans for.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid83 View Post
Yes and No these are plug and play. Essentially, the extra wires are labeled to help you wire in what ever gauges or cluster you're going to use. My plan is in the future to offer plug and play cluster harnesses. It's just been difficult to source in bulk the connectors that will be used. My plan is to offer type-x, nx1600, and s2k conversion harnesses, but that's in the way future. If I'm being honest I don't make money on all of this I just use it to make more parts. I'm hoping that in the future with investing in all these parts that this will be something that the community helped build into a business.
yeah, basically i'm just looking a plug and play solution where plug goes to the harness then dash and loose wires for gauges or whatever prety much i'm looking for so i don't have to hack up my harness. or i could go the other route and try to find a HKS, Blitz, or Greddy turbo timer harness and depin them. but i don't know yet or what i need until something comes up.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #10
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13silvia123 View Post
yeah, basically i'm just looking a plug and play solution where plug goes to the harness then dash and loose wires for gauges or whatever prety much i'm looking for so i don't have to hack up my harness. or i could go the other route and try to find a HKS, Blitz, or Greddy turbo timer harness and depin them. but i don't know yet or what i need until something comes up.
Oh so you're looking for a jumper harness where you still use your stock harness but the jumper taps into what you need.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

I'm just pasting over my update from my subaru forum. It still applies to the S-Chassis community, because it has a happy ending. It's a positive note for what I've being asked on making plug and play harnesses.

Update:

Well this week has had it's ups and downs for sure. I found a pretty good deal on a mishimoto tmic, but when it was received it wasn't a tmic. I received a wrapped header, I don't know the brand. When I got the box it wasn't packed right, the box was smashed and the inside of the box had no packing at all. I contacted the seller and let him know of the mistake and asked for a refund. I would have told the seller to still send the tmic but after seeing how this was packed I wasn't interested. I have yet to hear back from the seller on paying for the return shipping for the headers. I'm just happy he issued the refund and getting the process completed quickly.

With the small negative situation for a Friday. Something positive happened on the same day. I found locally a brand new in box grimmspeed tmic for an 08 wrx that was never installed. The person I picked it up from had his car totaled. I thought it was a great come up. I know the air splitter is different between the 08 wrx and lgt, but for the price it was worth it. I'm going to reach out to grimmspeed and see if they can help me out. Maybe their willing to trade out the air splitter, it's a long shot but worth the call. I've had some bad luck with the intercooler portion of the build. Months ago I found a racer x fmic nearby, I had to pass it over I was strapped because of the new short block. Then a couple a weeks ago I found a mishimoto fmic from an 08 wrx for a great deal. Obviously, with this whole COVID-19 I had to pass on it as well since it was in the bay area. I'm about 5 hours away and just didn't want to risk it. Then with this issue with the mishi tmic that happened, I was very happy to find the grimmspeed tmic.

In the meantime I've been working on cleaning up my interior here and there. I've been installing my black interior little by little. When looking at some of the interior pieces I noticed the stock rubber coating was pretty pitted. I decided to start vinyl wrapping interior pieces and cleaning them really well before installing them. I want to make sure the interior pieces match the new jdm double din that's coming in.

On a side note, my wife and I went to our local pick n pull looking for bolts that are needed for the ej257 engine build. I was able to find the random bolts that I needed, but I was very happy to find a part that I've been looking for many years. It's non subaru related and will help my side business for making custom gauge cluster wire harnesses for the s13 240sx. Also, I was able to find gauge cluster connectors for my 180sx type-x gauge cluster, this is another piece that I can finally add to my conversion parts that I'll be able to provide the S-chassis community. The funny thing was I forgot my wire snips and we found a steak knife to help cut the wires. Sometimes you have to get resourceful at the junkyard. Don't mind my idiot look, I was very stoked!

Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #12
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in for s14 adapter to run my customs gauges. Please let me know when its ready. I'm down to run it.
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -kenny- View Post
I'm in for s14 adapter to run my customs gauges. Please let me know when its ready. I'm down to run it.
Thanks for the heads up. Everything is just in the beginning phase. Once, I'm at that point I'll let everyone know.

Old 04-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid83 View Post
Oh so you're looking for a jumper harness where you still use your stock harness but the jumper taps into what you need.
yeah kind of like where its plug and play