Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
cameronfaley

Trader Rating: (0)
cameronfaley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Help! Sr20det Wont start!

Okay So, I have a 1995 Nissan 240sx with a 1992 Sr20det swap with a 5-speed swap. My car has been starting just fine until the other day. I came out in the morning to start it to take it to work and all I was getting was ONE click. Tried it again, ONE click. Radio, Lights, Dome Light, Heater, dash lights, Radiator fan all turn on and the alarm sets. Ruled out a dead battery. Checked all the connections, No corrosion and they are all tight. So i ruled out the battery all together. Researched online and it said to check the starter. Took the starter out and bench tested it, Gave me a really loud screeching noise. So that's when i had it rebuilt, When i got home i put the started back into the car, Nothing, Not even a click and no accessories turned on. Hooked up jumper cables, All accessories worked after that, And still got the ONE click.... Any ideas of what else i could check...?
cameronfaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
a click and a good starter usually indicates battery, or battery cables. You got the ground on the intake manifold, the ground on the battery tray. The power wire goes to the starter. The fuses are all good.

After all that, try manually applying 12v to the starter solenoid with a wire. If you can PROVE the battery is good, AND the starter is good that way, than you have it narrowed down. But just because you see lights on doesn't mean the battery is good.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
cameronfaley

Okay, I will check all the wires and locations of the ground, I was just so quick to rule out the battery itself because its a red top optima battery that's only a year old.

Thank you for the reply, I will keep you updated on what it is when I figure it out.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Get a batter load tester on that bad boy...even tho I will vouch for optima they still go bad just like any other battery! Also a starter shop will usually test your starter for free or even autozone. ..you can also use a test light with a buddy to ensure you get power to the starter if the jumps don't work
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
cameronfaley

I figured it out!!! Checked all my grounds, cleaned all them, checked the battery and starter, was getting almost 13v to both of them. So i searched online more and found out the ignition switch could cause a problem. That's when i took my steering column apart and wiggled the wire to the ignition switch around... And Bam! She starts up like a champ!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
cameronfaley

Welp... Got the Usual Sr problem, it was fixed for a couple days but now it struggles again. Car starts just fine when it's cold, but as soon as it warms up, It's gotta get cold again before it will start up without a bump start. I rebuilt my starter, Battery has full 12.86v, All grounds are good, everything is connected to the starter good. All other vehicle grounds were cleaned and reconnected. I shut my car off the other day at a car meet, went to leave and nope, Nothing but a click... had to ask some people to bump start me, kind of embarrassing at a car meet.

I am seriously lost and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you
Old 08-01-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's probably the switch, i have isolated many of these issues all the same fixed so maybe yours is the same.
fix1: buy a new switch
fix2: zip tie the cylinder and wiring board back together.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote