Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > North Western States

North Western States Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #31
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I moved from Baltimore MD to WA and I never looked back. I never understood why people did cross country trips until I did that one. It was both nerve racking and exciting at the same time.

You'll find all types of people every where, but the people here are more friendly than every where I've been.
SoundEfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #32
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
If you are considering Portland make the move now. I know people gnat moved 7-10 years ago and were paying $6-750/month for two bedrooms. Depending on the area these places are up double or more per month. Don't hesitate on the move if you are serious.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #33
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I'm like on the fence of getting the fuck out of California.
Seems like I'm hearing this from most of us Northern Californian millennials. It's been on my mind for the last few years as well...

I know that even if I do buy a house someday (not that I can afford it), it will not be in the SF Bay Area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #34
Mitsubayati
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
Mitsubayati is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mitsubayati
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
Seems like I'm hearing this from most of us Northern Californian millennials. It's been on my mind for the last few years as well...

I know that even if I do buy a house someday (not that I can afford it), it will not be in the SF Bay Area..
I've thought about moving up North as well, but I picture it would be like living in Sacramento. Everything is cheaper, but not much to do.

The bay has a lot to offer and really never get's boring plus it's pretty centrally located. If you are fortunate enough to purchase a house now, you will be set for quite some time. Prices will drop again eventually.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #35
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Cloud_Strife is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
Yeah I am seriously considering it now. Since Ive been there 2x in the cold I wanna see how its like when its "warm" to make a solid decision.

I found out that my job title pays at least $2 more hourly up there. My Fiancee just needs to file transfer paperwork since she works for a major hospital that has locations everywhere.

I estimated the value to relocate from socal to the PNW and it would cost roughly $5k including shipping cars. Hopefully I over guessed that amount.
It's funny you just updated the thread. I wish more Portland people would reply, but maybe they're too cool

I've been back in Florida for a few months and hate it. Really trying to consider my options and plans. I had it so good out there. I moved because I was having issues with school and couldn't make many friends my age.

A lot of people seem to be considering it as well from the replies. It all comes down to what YOU want. I've been to most states in the U.S. including Hawaii and I'm pretty certain at this point where I want to be. It seems like alota dudes are just stuck in Cali and wanting a way out. Just see some similarities as my eyes didn't really open up until I joined the millitary and got to see what else the world offers. I'd recommend some of you dudes just go for it and don't look back. We're all gonna be old as sh** having our grand-kids throw away our initial D posters because it's inconceivable that Chinese origin, poorly drawn 90's anime with italian eurobeat poor english techno could be considered cool.

To the OP, it's good if your fiance moves out with you. When two incomes can pay for housing up there it is ABSOLUTELY doable, especially for a 1bed. For single people it just sucks to rent.

I would say take a summer out there, because like I said it can get pretty hot. But again, it's a different type of hot. Humid hot summers in the south are ten times worse with the wet humidity. You can usually plan on 23 showers a day.

Also, I never realized how many decent roads there are in northern and all over OR. Also, southern WA has some really crazy routes as well. You should look up NHA (Northwestern Hillclimb Association), they are a group that goes over the PNW with stages normally closed to the public. Some of the roads look DEE-CENT.

I saw some people that were thinking of WA as well. WA has a lot more to offer and do, but the Seattle area does not have many fun roads. You have to travel quite a bit to get to any decent ones, and the best are on the east side of the state. There's one called chunak or chinak some sh** like that-scenic drive. Also, the road leading up to the ski resort on Mt. Baker has some crazy twists but no safety barriers and the elements make it dangerous.

Someone had said the scene isn't much out there, but It actually isn't bad, you just have to put in work and network old school. Also, I was wrong about the condition of cars. You can find a lot of clean unfu**** cars out there if you are patient. I guess when I was looking the market was just crap. Cars over here in the southeast are always hacked up dori boxes beat to sh**. 3-4k will get you a maybe DDable car with mechanical and int/ext issues, where as you can find clean, nicely working cars for the same pricepoint.

All in all though, I wouldn't try to get in the mindset that moving to a new location will solve all your personal probelms--something I've had to look at myself. But if you like it there, go for it; YOLO as the kids say.

*Also, I think there are weekly import meets in downtown every Sunday night if it's still going on. Gets pretty big turnouts.
Cloud_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #36
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Edit: Useless post because Crow T. Robot.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #37
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Strife View Post

All in all though, I wouldn't try to get in the mindset that moving to a new location will solve all your personal probelms
Im gonna be honest, i am facing a pretty rough end to my year and (personally not professionally) and its influencing my urge to move.

I talked to a co worker who is from oregon and in short she told me...

1. Yes pay is better but income tax is higher so its really the same shit as what I face here in Cali.
2. Property tax is higher. Houses may be cheaper but if you factor in property tax it evens itself out.

honestly where I'm from (San Diego) isnt all THAT expensive considering its a major California city, then again thats probably why more people are migrating here...

Ill go again in the Spring and hopefully by then things look up for me and if not, maybe its time to move up North...

if I do make the move Ill probably buy a subaru wagon down here and bring it up with me since you said most used cars up there are shit boxes.

if I dont leave the state now when I am still young I will for sure do it when I retire. I hear that CA isnt too kind to those who are on a fixed income.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #38
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Which is why I plan on living in the Couve area and commuting to Portland for work. Yeeeee
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #39
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Im gonna be honest, i am facing a pretty rough end to my year and (personally not professionally) and its influencing my urge to move.

I talked to a co worker who is from oregon and in short she told me...

1. Yes pay is better but income tax is higher so its really the same shit as what I face here in Cali.
2. Property tax is higher. Houses may be cheaper but if you factor in property tax it evens itself out.

honestly where I'm from (San Diego) isnt all THAT expensive considering its a major California city, then again thats probably why more people are migrating here...

Ill go again in the Spring and hopefully by then things look up for me and if not, maybe its time to move up North...

if I do make the move Ill probably buy a subaru wagon down here and bring it up with me since you said most used cars up there are shit boxes.

if I dont leave the state now when I am still young I will for sure do it when I retire. I hear that CA isnt too kind to those who are on a fixed income.
Yeah that was my goof about the sh** cars. I've been looking recently and have found great deals. It's just market fluctuation.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a house now. I'd wait until you settle down or you make enough friends where you can have roomies who don't mind talking about car sh**.

I look at the cost of living like this: I like places where I get what I pay for. 800$ here in hernando county gets you nothing unless you want to live in the ghetto part of my city dealing with tons of drugs and crime. Want an S-chassis? good luck because it will get broken into everynight.

Take that same 800 and go find a studio/1bd (if you're lucky). Now what's important to me are things like parks, nice roads, good drivers, and a place to practice my driving (legally of course). It has a city that isn't too intense, yet has enough to keep you busy for the most part. If not, Seattle is not that far away and you can bus up there on the bolt bus for like 15$. I get none of that here in my flat state, with parks built on sinkholes and roads that are tolled up the a**. Also, there's no public transportation and that pisses me off. I like being able to catch the bus when I cut my brake line because I'm wetodit. Driving here is insane; I see car WRECKS everyday because elderly or out of state drivers cannot fathom the poorly constructed road and traffic flow.

And people say FL is cheap. It's cheap for certain reasons, and this attracts certain people. We don't pay much here, sure, but we have some of the worst public schools, crap government support, and nothing to do but drink and get into trouble.

Me personally, I think Portland is worth it; even with the high rent. It's a place where the positives outweigh the negatives.

But again, it's a city and cities all have problems. People all have issues. There's no magical Utopia. Cept maybe B.C.

Just make a pros and cons list. The last time I made mine I moved out there tho lol.

Can you Portland natives chime in here? I'm just this loud-mouth transplant who spent a year there. Really would like the guy to hear from a local.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #40
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Heard that you guys are getting hammered right now with the worst rain that the areas seen in a long time. Hope you all are safe up there..
Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #41
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Im still undecided on the move to be honest.

my $$$ would approximately go 12% further overall (Groceries,utilities,housing,transportation, and healtcare according to CNN finance)

Gonna go again in May to see how its like when its warmer.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #42
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Damn you sure think things through haha.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #43
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

How would CNN determine how far you live from work, what car you drive (mpg) and your salary?

The true way to do it is to look at the salaries here and then see where you're living and how you think you'll commute.

CNN doesn't know shyt about how people actually live.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #44
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZt-pOc3moc
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #45
Corbic
Post Whore!

In all seriousness does the PNW have dog bread laws?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #46
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-...washington.php
http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-...ogs-oregon.php
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #47
Corbic
Post Whore!

Wow, how disappointing Washington. I wonder how people would feel about using the FBI Crime Stastics to make Race based zoning laws.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #48
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Quote:
Damn you sure think things through haha.
Hey man this is a huge decision considering that being very family oriented is big in my culture. Hah.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #49
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
How would CNN determine how far you live from work, what car you drive (mpg) and your salary?

The true way to do it is to look at the salaries here and then see where you're living and how you think you'll commute.

CNN doesn't know shyt about how people actually live.
it was a financial calculator. I plugged in how much I make now and it basically determines whats cheaper in that state and what costs more. Thast how I came up with my figure.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #50
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

I know. Don't get me wrong, what you're doing is 100% understandable.
But what you make now does not mean that you'll make the same amount in WA. You could make more or even less and that is why CNN can't tell you if the move is good or not.

You have to look at the job market in your profession and see how much they pay here. From that number you can then determine where you want to live. For example, living in Redmond, Bellevue area is far more expensive than living in Renton or Lynnwood.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #51
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Sound is right, there are jobs like tech industry where working for Intel or Nike can mean big bucks. I've known people with BSEs and some without even 4-year degrees that are making big money at Intel.

Every place is different. This is a great website with information from locals and geeky travelers who are in the know. I suggest reading and asking questions there.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #52
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Wow, how disappointing Washington. I wonder how people would feel about using the FBI Crime Stastics to make Race based zoning laws.
Unless you're thinking about moving to eastern or south eastern Washington, i wouldn't worry too much about it. Many people on the western side of the state protest against hard when it comes to BSLs.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #53
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

If California ends up effectively banning future AR15 purchases I am 90% sure ill make the move. I am a huge 2nd amendment guy and this would essentially make my decision for me. There are proposed bills out that would make AR15s even with bullet buttons illegal and current owners would have to register their firearms.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #54
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
. I am a huge 2nd amendment guy
And you live in California. Does not compute. You are already dealing with more bullshit than any "true" gun enthusiast could tolerate.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #55
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Sound is right, there are jobs like tech industry where working for Intel or Nike can mean big bucks. I've known people with BSEs and some without even 4-year degrees that are making big money at Intel.

Every place is different. This is a great website with information from locals and geeky travelers who are in the know. I suggest reading and asking questions there.
What about Supply Management Careers?

I keep reading mixed things about the job market. 3rd highest unemployment in the country and story's about dreamy Californians moving up and unable to find work... Even with degrees. But then it sounds like the work they want is running a food truck or giving museum tours or some shit.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #56
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

The job market in WA is 'ok' from what I'm seeing, but it depends on which job sector you're in.

Who ever is moving, no matter the State, should have a job BEFORE they move. Some companies do help relocate.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #57
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Gonna book my May trip sometime this month. Also been paying attention to job openings.

Me staying or going will really depend on if I get promoted to a senior position on my first try. I am already on the second to last step in hourly pay for my title so if I dont get this in one try (position only opens up once every 6 months) Id pretty much be hitting a ceiling and would be wasting my youth and experience.

Looked it up and my Oregon native co worker was right. Property tax is double what we pay here in California. I guess $$$ will be about the same but itll go further up there at least.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #58
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Have you seen any positions you're interested in?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #59
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
The California transplant hate is strong in Portland. Everytime I read a thread on reddit about housing shortage, it's usually filled with anti-CA comments.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #60
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

From what I have heard and read about CA, I would only be able to visit there because I def. can't afford to live there and all of my cars would be 'CA illegal'. lol.