Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #61
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Stage 8 fasteners seemed to have kept my turbo attached for a few track days now.

The big thing is running that bracket from the downpipe to the transmission mount/crossmember and taking weight off the turbo.

The next time I have to take it apart I, too, am just going to weld the turbine housing to the manifold and call it.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #62
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I'm following this thread. I need to make a splitter to protect my bumper not so much for performance.
Yeah 3mm would be enough for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatche View Post
Hi, I just wanted to let you know im your new biggest fan. I could have warned you about the 4 turbo to manifold nuts being the #1 issue. After years of troubleshooting my only option was to safety wire, but when I had my turbo out last time I didnt even want to try to figure it out I decided I will just weld them together next time they come apart. I cant wait to see you at the next Nissan Challenge event. I saw your car up close at SOW but I had not seen your build thread til now. Woooo. I love 240 time attack builds done well.
Thanks Vatche, I will see you on the 22nd @ACS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Stage 8 fasteners seemed to have kept my turbo attached for a few track days now.

The big thing is running that bracket from the downpipe to the transmission mount/crossmember and taking weight off the turbo.

The next time I have to take it apart I, too, am just going to weld the turbine housing to the manifold and call it.
YES!

.................................................. ..................................................

Got done with the splitter :

started with 2 stacks of 3mm aluminum composite panels. I used liquid nail to hold them together.
I used aluminum square tube to save weight on the bottom and welded some steel tubing to the bash bar.

stood on it to make sure it will handle the downforce.
I tore the middle of the panel and it started spreading so I reinforced it it with aluminum plate and carbon plate on top. Maybe I can use it for gopro mount in the future.

Last edited by battery1882; 07-07-2017 at 11:54 AM..
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #63
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Final prep for 22nd @ California Speedway!

Last edited by battery1882; 07-07-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #64
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Looks awesome!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #65
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Nice going man, I'm a wee bit jelly that I can't make it to the warmup event on the 22nd but I'll come by and visit you guys

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #66
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Looks awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
Nice going man, I'm a wee bit jelly that I can't make it to the warmup event on the 22nd but I'll come by and visit you guys
Thanks guys, I'll see you soon bardabe!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #67
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Finally a track day!!

ACS event was cancelled due to rain..

Little hiccup going to Chuckwalla. tire tread decided to chunk off. My fault for not checking the age on it. Guy that sold me the trailer said they had "new" tires.

Spent a night at this mansion. it was actually really convenient and comfortable.

Love to own a GTR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cV_kvUnxmI

I'm hanging on to 4th gear because it popped out on me a few times.

I also forgot to take my camera so was borrowing a friend's gopro. Can't really see the track on this vid but hope you enjoy it.

Overall, car gained lots of grip in the front with the splitter and has a lot more neutral steer than before. Car started getting little hot as I pushed it more. I need to work on that and swap out my tranny

Last edited by battery1882; 07-07-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #68
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

SR20PWRALTY is an unknown quantity at this point
It was awsome see your car in person and watching it perform out there. It inspired me to do more with my car. Hope to see you at the rest of the Nissan Challenge events. Am the guy with LS 240sx by the way.
SR20PWRALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #69
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20PWRALTY View Post
It was awsome see your car in person and watching it perform out there. It inspired me to do more with my car. Hope to see you at the rest of the Nissan Challenge events. Am the guy with LS 240sx by the way.
It was great meeting you there! I will see you again shortly @ buttonwillow. I hope you had fun with your beast!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #70
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
It was great meeting you there! I will see you again shortly @ buttonwillow. I hope you had fun with your beast!
Definitely got the bug! I need more grip and braking power. Hey who built your cage? I also noticed in your video you have an aftermarket steering wheel, what size is it. I had a problem with my hands hitting my knees on stock steering wheel when turning.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #71
tacotacotaco
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
tacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfectiontacotacotaco is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tacotacotaco
tacotacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #72
SSJ-S15
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
SSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the roughSSJ-S15 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Car looks awesome
SSJ-S15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #73
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Yes it does!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #74
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotacotaco View Post
pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ-S15 View Post
Car looks awesome
Quote:
Yes it does!
Thanks guys!

.................................................. .................................................. .......

So I found out why the car started getting hot (highest of the day was 235degree F). I pressurized the cooling system and found puddle of water below the water pump weep hole.

It was a brand new s13 water pump so I'm not sure why it failed..

Good thing I had defi warning! it saved my engine..

S13 VS. S14/15 pump

also changed out the tranny. I couldn't deal with 4th popping.

Interesting note : found the front cover cracked.. I'm guessing it's due to bad trans bearing.

Last edited by battery1882; 07-07-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #75
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Who did your cage?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #76
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Definitely got the bug! I need more grip and braking power. Hey who built your cage? I also noticed in your video you have an aftermarket steering wheel, what size is it. I had a problem with my hands hitting my knees on stock steering wheel when turning.
Sorry forgot to answer your questions,

Cage is pre-made cage by Enjuku. I had Ted (heliarc_hustler instagram) tig weld it for me. He does great job!

My steering wheel is 330mm. (sparco 383). I personally prefer 330mm over 350mm. you can check it out at buttonwillow if you would like!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #77
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
I would advise against using a S14 pump on a S13 SR20. The impellers are designed differently and the S14 pump actually flows less when used on a S13 SR20 and does cause cavitation at a much lower RPM
Old 02-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #78
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I would advise against using a S14 pump on a S13 SR20. The impellers are designed differently and the S14 pump actually flows less when used on a S13 SR20 and does cause cavitation at a much lower RPM
Man.. I wish I would have asked before purchasing/installing it.
I would like to know little more in detail if you could elaborate though. I would think "flows less" mean that the impellers are smaller given same rpm between s13/14 engines, wouldn't that cause less cavitation? unless there's something going on inside the block.. or if the blade design is different.well, let me know! I will change back to s13 water pump if I have to!

I do have bigger pulley so hope that it helps. I will report back after next track day!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #79
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

You were missed this week at button willow. I know you were planning to show up. Hope you make it to April first event.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #80
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Man.. I wish I would have asked before purchasing/installing it.
I would like to know little more in detail if you could elaborate though. I would think "flows less" mean that the impellers are smaller given same rpm between s13/14 engines, wouldn't that cause less cavitation? unless there's something going on inside the block.. or if the blade design is different.well, let me know! I will change back to s13 water pump if I have to!

I do have bigger pulley so hope that it helps. I will report back after next track day!
Short of it is; S14 impellers are shorter when used on the S13 head due to the different casting between the heads. What this translate to is the impellers themselves simply do not reach far enough into the waterpump housing to have enough surface area to "pump" the water. Its like sticking half your hand out the window vs sticking all your hand out the window. Only half your hand actually gets acted on by the wind in the first scenario.

Look at them side-side. The details are not immediately apparent.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #81
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Yeah I honestly don't know where the misinformation came from saying that the s14 pump was better for s13 engines, I've never bought into that myself. It's better to retain a s13 pump but run an oversized water pump pulley instead to slow it down slightly.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #82
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Yeah I honestly don't know where the misinformation came from saying that the s14 pump was better for s13 engines, I've never bought into that myself. It's better to retain a s13 pump but run an oversized water pump pulley instead to slow it down slightly.
I think people confuse it with the s14 water neck.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #83
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
You were missed this week at button willow. I know you were planning to show up. Hope you make it to April first event.
Yeah I was feeling really sick. Did you do well? See you at the next event!

Quote:
Short of it is; S14 impellers are shorter when used on the S13 head due to the different casting between the heads. What this translate to is the impellers themselves simply do not reach far enough into the waterpump housing to have enough surface area to "pump" the water. Its like sticking half your hand out the window vs sticking all your hand out the window. Only half your hand actually gets acted on by the wind in the first scenario.

Look at them side-side. The details are not immediately apparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
I think people confuse it with the s14 water neck.
Misinformation comes from frsport.com (http://www.frsport.com/Nissan-21010-...ly_p_2218.html)

I wish I read a little more before purchasing the s14 pump.

I was having my car tuned over the weekend and we saw some knocking around 4-5000 rpm. We had to end the session early.
Looking back, I'm wondering if the water pump may have caused problem somewhere and brought the cylinder temperature up.. Coolant temp was fine. Regardless, I'm changing the pump back to s13 one and going over the car to find any issues.

Last edited by battery1882; 07-07-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 03-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #84
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Nice work man, good to see the 240 chassis used in other forms than simply drifting! (My username is just a joke I don't drift lol)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #85
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how do you like that enjuku cage?
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #86
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

What fuel pump are you running?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #87
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yeah I was feeling really sick. Did you do well? See you at the next event!
Sorry to here. Hope you are better now.

No my times kinda suck but I am out there having fun and learning.

April 1st at willow springs.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #88
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13driftnut View Post
Nice work man, good to see the 240 chassis used in other forms than simply drifting! (My username is just a joke I don't drift lol)
I come from drifting and I think it's one of the greatest skill set to have as a driver. I do find time attack more fun as i'm going against time, objective matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoFish View Post
how do you like that enjuku cage?
Love it!

Quote:
What fuel pump are you running?
Walbro 255. I need to check on that as well..

Quote:
Sorry to here. Hope you are better now.

No my times kinda suck but I am out there having fun and learning.

April 1st at willow springs.
yeah! lt's all about having fun! see you soon man!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #89
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
Few people were telling me to upgrade to s15 water pump recently too. I still have the s13 water pump but sucks knowing the s14 pump could potentially be bad for s13
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #90
bardabe
Post Whore!

bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatche View Post
Few people were telling me to upgrade to s15 water pump recently too. I still have the s13 water pump but sucks knowing the s14 pump could potentially be bad for s13
I was always skeptic when people would tell me that, I've personally never recommended it. Glad i followed my gut instinct.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote