Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: ABS or Non ABS for your vehicle?
ABS 37 18.59%
Non ABS 162 81.41%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Thumbs up ABS vs Non ABS.. Let's see what people want and discuss

This seems to be no-brainer. But let see what the out come is.

Please vote what your would prefer for your "Daily + Track" vehicle. And reply with what your comment or opinion for your decision.

ABS or Non ABS ?

Let the battle begin !!
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Im no pro racer but on the street i like abs. Feel safer
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
joeboo1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
joeboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my foot is my ABS lol
joeboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
chinabean
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
chinabean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm curious for the answers for this question as well, I have abs on my car but disabled due to it locking up my rears...a lot of people say they don't feel safe without etc..but idk.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I think if i actually put a good sets of tires so i can slam the brakes (emergancy) and not lock them up.

Im curious on the track what people like
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
bussitcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
bussitcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I went through great lengths to keep abs in my car after doing a redtop swap into a '98. If it was a track only car, I'd delete it. But it's a street car that will see rain and occasionally snow. I'll take the abs, thanks.
bussitcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
K_style
Post Whore!

K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
For me, I have owned mostly non ABS vehicle so whenever I drive ABS vehicle, it seems it is working again of my will.

I think that is best I could describe.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Abs all day.

I can stop in shorter distances than you!
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
voted = NON ABS
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
non ABS. that fucking unit is always in the way of something, and when you start swapping parts off different cars, the sensors can be a pain.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
chinabean
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
chinabean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sensors are expensive as fck.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Califunky

Califunky is an unknown quantity at this point
Abs for the daily golf (rabbit) because it works, no abs in my 13 as it didnt work - no point carrying extra weight around for nothing.
Califunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Beejis60
BANNED

Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're a starting racer, non-ABS is best so you learn how to drive without the ABS, aka not learning bad habits.
If just DDing, it doesn't matter much since Nissan ABS is horrid. I want to do the S2k ABS retrofit that some FD folk are/were attempting.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
davidgray-s13

davidgray-s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
non-ABS for my DD, but i drive the streets like it is one BIG track, in little to no traffic of course i respect the drivers around me and other people's safety.
davidgray-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
I have abs on my car and wish I didnt.

I have the fuse pulled so it does not function, but the biggest drawback is how much damn space it takes up in the engine bay.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
YellowFox
Leaky Injector

YellowFox is an unknown quantity at this point
'98 Kouki with no ABS.
YellowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
nymphoprkinglot
Leaky Injector

nymphoprkinglot is an unknown quantity at this point
non-abs

My s-chassis saw 8 years of SoCal street driving with Non-ABS, rain and shine. Never once was I upset that I didn't have ABS. If you've got a good/great set of tires and enough time spent behind the wheel, a non-abs equipped 90s vintage Nissan will out perform an ABS equipped one. Simply put the abs from most 90s vehicles, especially Japanese imports have issues. They were designed for use by the everyday public.

A modern day ABS unit, on the other hand, is a different story. Especially the ones equipped to the higher performance vehicles, s2k, m3, amg mercs, etc.
nymphoprkinglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #18
Mangudai
Zilvia Addict

Mangudai is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphoprkinglot View Post
My s-chassis saw 8 years of SoCal street driving with Non-ABS, rain and shine. Never once was I upset that I didn't have ABS. If you've got a good/great set of tires and enough time spent behind the wheel, a non-abs equipped 90s vintage Nissan will out perform an ABS equipped one. Simply put the abs from most 90s vehicles, especially Japanese imports have issues. They were designed for use by the everyday public.

A modern day ABS unit, on the other hand, is a different story. Especially the ones equipped to the higher performance vehicles, s2k, m3, amg mercs, etc.
All of this.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
K_style
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphoprkinglot View Post

One thing though... I dont think you could call that "Rain" that you get in Southern California...

Come up here for real driving in Rain.. hahaha

Thanks for your input !!!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #20
nymphoprkinglot
Leaky Injector

nymphoprkinglot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
One thing though... I dont think you could call that "Rain" that you get in Southern California...

Come up here for real driving in Rain.. hahaha

Thanks for your input !!!
that's true, it doesn't really "rain" that bad in socal. Nothing like you get up in Oregon. However, that generally leads to some pretty slick roads on the "first" rain, months and months of built up grime, oil, etc. I swear, that first rain after a dry summer, and suddenly there are beige toyotas in every ditch, gully, interchange between I-8 & the 805/15/163/5.

this thread made me go testing brakes this weekend, asked to drive a friend's 06 mazda 3, and tried to get the abs to engage. all in all, it wasn't as intrusive as i thought it would be, but it kept feeling like it was pumping one wheel more than the other, making me fight with the wheel a bit. tire pressures were the same when i checked em, and to his knowledge the brakes were changed at the same time. but who knows. even more fuel to the non-abs fire, who knows how it's going to react in that time of need.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #21
Silviasurfer

Silviasurfer is an unknown quantity at this point
My s14 has a full s15 abs upgrade, from the abs pump to lines and sensors, as well as the abs brain, its more responsive than the old system and the r33 gtr master cylinder makes the z32 rear and r34 gtt brake package work sweet, regular fliud changes give me a good moderate peddel feel and i can bet that i can stop my 200sx in a shorter distance from 100km than a r34gtr........i have a switich on the black/white stripe wire on the abs pump, that allows me to de-activate and reactivate the abs functions...... so all in all it works best for me in this way........hope this helps.... mike
Silviasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
LuckyRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I would like to say I know how to drive in the most humble of ways, and there has been very few times my ABS has ever in my life kicked in to assist me. So for the most part I prefer not to have it. Less parts to deal with.
LuckyRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
GrimDrifter
Leaky Injector

GrimDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to GrimDrifter Send a message via Yahoo to GrimDrifter
My DD, a Tc, has horrendous ABS, especially in snow. This is my second one and it is the same.. Also bad in rain or on bumpy roads. I'm glad my 240 doesn't have it though.
GrimDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
bladetech8
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
bladetech8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The ABS system in a 240 is just a massive lead weight, tear it all out and get some weight savings. Learn to threshold brake and go driving in the Canyons to feel out the lock-up point of your braking system. Then you should be cherry in any panic brake situation.
bladetech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #25
helghast7

helghast7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I learned to drive on non abs cars, its just a preference i suppose unless your all out racing your car. But I dont think Ive ever been in conditions where it would have made much of a difference, seems like everytime theres a loss of traction its because the backs kicking out lol
helghast7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
DenkiMan!
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DenkiMan! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
the last 2 cars ive owned in the past 5 years havent had abs. im just not used to hard braking in abs cars yet, it feels very strange. my s14 of the past 2 years doesnt have abs and im learning to threshold brake well in this car, ive felt pretty gravy in sketch situations that required hard braking during daily driving. this isnt to say i havent locked these bitches up in traffic before lol but i dont exactly have a preference because of performance differences, i just dont exactly know how to properly handle abs yet.
Looking for another pair of 17x9 Veilside Andrew Racing V's
DenkiMan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
I Daily'd my 96 non abs through everything. I didn't have a problem at all. I feel like the only reason ABS was ever made is because dumbass people kept driving so fast and up each others' asses so they invented ABS to help. I mean you can't fix stupid, but oh well.

Besides my rant, non ABS is perfectly fine for daily driving, because if you use common sense you dont need ABS. I also prefer it because it makes me feel connected to my car in another way, just like real manual transmissions and not having traction control and all that electronic stuff.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #28
GhostlyCoupe
Zilvia Member

GhostlyCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
In any professional sanctioned racing where ABS is allowed you'd be hard pressed to see a team not use it.

Take that for what it's worth.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
ONYX S-13
Zilvia FREAK!

ONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to allONYX S-13 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ONYX S-13 Send a message via MSN to ONYX S-13
No abs.

Just one more thing to potentially break on a already old car and just adds weight. I've only owned one car which had ABS and its my current one (94 Prelude) and I hate it.

I'm looking into ditching it within a month or so.
ONYX S-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Non ABS. So glad I deleted it.

Know your car. Don't panic brake. Have good tires. You'll stop on a dime.