Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
NZSilvia

Trader Rating: (0)
NZSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation VCT rattle in SR's

Hey could someone please discuss with me in detail the VCT rattle in my S14 as i'd like to know a bit more about it and what it effects etc
NZSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSilvia View Post
Hey could someone please discuss with me in detail the VCT rattle in my S14 as i'd like to know a bit more about it and what it effects etc
VCT was Nissan's attempt to give the SR more low-end torque, however; if you plan on making any more power than stock you should look into deleting that headache.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
VCT was Nissan's attempt to give the SR more low-end torque, however; if you plan on making any more power than stock you should look into deleting that headache.
I think he wants to know why it rattles, but I could be wrong.

Second, do not delete the VTC. There is absolutely no reason to remove it. As stated, it increases low-end torque in the later SR motors. If you purchase cams that retain it, you'll have a much flatter and broader trq curve. I can garauntee that if you remove the VTC your car will seem slower than with it intact. I kept VTC on a top mount build and had 315ftlbs of trq on 12psi pretty low in the rpm range which is impressive for a 2l.

With that said, general reasons for the VTC rattle; old age, poor oil pressure and/or increased spring tension(stiffer springs). Usually it starts with a slight rattle at start up.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Second, do not delete the VTC. There is absolutely no reason to remove it.
Florida failing then redeeming itself in back to back posts. The VTC sprocket rattles when it gets old, you can pick up a new one for a million dollars or look around to find a used one that will last a couple years hopefully. It does make a huge difference though, so don't get rid of it.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Florida failing then redeeming itself in back to back posts. The VTC sprocket rattles when it gets old, you can pick up a new one for a million dollars or look around to find a used one that will last a couple years hopefully. It does make a huge difference though, so don't get rid of it.
I think there is a lot of misconceptions surrounding the VTC. Most people don't know what it does or how it works. A lot of times they are too cheap to replace the VTC gear and their ultimate fix is to delete it, which opens another can of worms.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I think there is a lot of misconceptions surrounding the VTC. Most people don't know what it does or how it works. A lot of times they are too cheap to replace the VTC gear and their ultimate fix is to delete it, which opens another can of worms.
Usually we convert the heads to run aggressive s13 cams or go VVL, my opinion may be biased though, dude to most of our builds being suited for racing where less moving parts is ideal.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

The oil pressure causes the internals of the gear to advance the cam timing. I'm not 100%, but I believe this happens when oil pressure builds on one side of that ID/OD gear (in the center of the bottom pic), then that gear moves front-to-back like a piston actuator, and the helical nature of the teeth rotate the central gear (with the keyway for the cam) relative to the sprocket gear to advance the camshaft timing.
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
The rattle noise comes from when that ID/OD gear gets worn.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Usually we convert the heads to run aggressive s13 cams or go VVL, my opinion may be biased though, dude to most of our builds being suited for racing where less moving parts is ideal.
That logic is flawed because there are far more moving parts in a VVL head.

There's no reason to run a Low-Port head with anything other than the VTC intact. Adding VTC compliant cams will really wake that setup up. If you want a better flowing head or all out performance setup, a High-Port out flows the low-port and/or a VVL will out flow them all, as I'm sure you're aware.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
Tom N
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Tom N is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone who says get rid of the vct on a S14/15 sr20det has never really messed with a car that has one plain and simple.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Anyone who says get rid of the vct on a S14/15 sr20det has never really messed with a car that has one plain and simple.
I've raced a buddy with an identical setup minus vct in my car. If you can have it- have it. it really makes a big difference
Old 05-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
boost
Zilvia Member

boost is on a distinguished road
here's a video on how to repair it. i don't know anyone who has done this personally. i think most just buy the whole thing. guy in the comments said just replace the spring which seems to be different from whats shown in the video. i guess its a common failure on maximas also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIxzvKpnriA
boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There are three things that will cause the rattle,

1 Worn VCT Gear
2 Poor Oil Flow to head
3 Stiffer valve springs without enough oil pressure @ the head.

the first one is an easy fix but a couple hundred bucks. ( http://nissanraceshop.com/product/s1...-vtc-sprocket/)

the second two aren't as easy, sometimes the VCT solenoid will get gummed up so people will replace it and have some luck. it's a $95 part and takes 15 minutes to change. (50/50 shot really) other times it's poor maintenance that has clogged the orifices of the cylinder head and you don't have enough oil flow to the camshaft solenoid / gear. in that case hot tanking & cleaning is the best way to solve your issue.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I know its crazy but, when I enable VTC on my HKS 272 my engine actually becomes MORE lopey, and LESS drivable. I had to disable it completely for the best drivability and economy. And yes, I am sure it works, I put a set of OEM cams into the engine and it worked exactly like it was supposed to and improved performance. I also changed the VTC gear to a late model S15 unit just for the heck of it.

Not sure why this is, but there it is. It was pretty shocking but I am 100% when that intake cam moves forward 20*, I lose all kinds of drivability.
When I get a dyno time I will push it forward and just make the double pass to compare (the real way to set vtc on/off point is run the engine with, then without, overlay the two and you will see a very obvious spot to switch it off) for all I know, it makes more torque.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 06-09-2016 at 11:29 PM..
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote