Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Arrow My S14 Zenki / Navan OEM+ Build

Tracking the progress on my other cars/builds and figured I'd document this one as well.

Years back I had decided that one of my personal life goals was to own one of each S-chassis with the exact mods/aero that grabbed my attention in the first place. I am a huge fan of OEM aero for its quality, fitment, and overall styling. Nissan styling was on point in my opinion when it came to the optional aero parts save for their 4x4 ride height and undersized wheel options.

With this goal constantly on my mind, I set out to find a decent base Zenki platform to throw everything I had saved parts wise over the years.

Having kept track of OEM aero pricing, I realized I needed to stock up on Navan aero before pricing really got out of hand. With help from GetJPN, I sourced several of the important pieces that would get the build started on the right foot.

Aero wasn't too difficult to source at that point. I had held onto several sets of Kouki taillights and JVAutobody in Santa Ana did a great job refinishing my sets.

As with most listings these days, I came across this particular Zenki listed first on the FB marketplace and also on Offer Up. Pricing was reasonable especially considering I was going to sell off several pieces I didn't need to bring my overall base cost down. The most important points for me were the clean quarter panels, slicktop roof, and panel alignment was great for its age.

Here it is on its way home.

It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was exactly what I was after for the build/resto I had in mind.

As you can see, paint is pretty much gone, interior was in rough shape, and this S14 was also plagued with the cracked OEM fuel tank. The last owner decided to scrap the OEM fuel tank and ran a fuel cell just sitting in the spare tire area.

Fortunately for me, he didn't cut out or weld anything to run the fuel cell. So, it'll be easy for me to revert back to the OEM fuel tank set up.

One of the first things I decided to take care of was reverting the car back to its original form. Sold off the rep wheels, N1 style wheels, and gave the engine bay a light detail.

Next on my list was sorting out the interior. It wasn't worth saving any of the pieces that were in it when I first bought it. Out it goes.

I had held onto a mint Zenki interior from a prior donor car and took my time going through every single last piece.

This is not its final form by any means. I do have plenty of tasteful interior upgrades that will go on after body work and paint is completely sorted.

Moving onto the exterior, I began to test fit all of the aero pieces.

The amazing thing about OEM aero is how well it hugs the body. The sideskirts and valances are only being held on by a few of the OEM brackets. No double sided tape yet or the dozen or so clips that hold the sideskirts to the rocker panel. Those will all be added once body work begins.

I was never too big a fan of the OEM Navan 3pc wing (especially considering the stupid holes you have to drill out on your quarter panels). Not wanting to drill holes on my base model trunk, I swapped it with an SE trunk and installed an OEM Kouki wing.

Next was test fitting the wheels. I am 100% predictable when it comes to my aero and wheel choices and I am 100% okay with that.

OEM aero + TE37's is a timeless look in my opinion. I prefer subtle and classy over gaudy and obnoxious.

I had a spare set of A-pillar exterior trim with visors already installed.

Having done all of this work within 3~ days of buying the car, it was time for me to store it and continue stockpiling parts.

I do have a bunch of suspension mods, big brakes, built S14 SR along with a ton of other goodies to go on. I will do my best to keep my threads updated this year.

Thanks for reading!

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
austinth0rnt0n

Trader Rating: (0)
austinth0rnt0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exciting to see another quality build coming from you. keep up the great work!
austinth0rnt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
-kenny-
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
-kenny- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Couldn’t agreed more on navan + Te37. Looks great
-kenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I will live my zenki dreams through you . Looks like you're off to a great start! TE37 and S chassis will forever be a winning combo.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
I think you are the master of OEM+ when it comes to S-Chassis builds.

Good work so far. A+
Old 06-11-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thank you for your ongoing quality builds, your one of the main reasons I keep up with Zilvia in general.
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #7
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
A friend recently helped source a mint set of JIC FLT-A2's for this build and I couldn't be happier. The goal is to keep it period correct with the same brand parts we remember from the mid 2000's.

As with the other ongoing builds, the current goal is to install every last bit I have to free up space in storage and finally sell all of the spare parts.

Pictured below: OG Spec Blitz 03's in 18x9 +9 / 18x10 +22, JIC FLT-A2's, Project Mu 4 pot BBK, Z32 full rear brake conversion, Cusco strut bars, Progress sway bars, Nismo GT Pro diff and a Greddy oversized diff cover.

I didn't snap pictures of it, but I did drop the rear subframe to reinstall a replacement fuel tank. The previous owner had the original tank crack on him. Rather than use an OEM replacement, it was easier for him to throw a fuel cell in the trunk and call it a day.

I personally didn't like the idea of a fuel cell just sitting in the trunk of a street car. Back to OEM I go.

I'm happy with the direction the car is headed in. The next update will include some engine bay upgrades and final planning before it all comes apart for paint.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Oh man, this is going to be sick! OEM aero on 03's is the sauce
Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
spitfiredc7

Trader Rating: (1)
spitfiredc7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As expected, this will be excellent.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #10
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quick / small update.

I was always a fan of Navan aero, but the one thing that took the longest to grow on me was the Navan 3pc wing. It always seemed kinda bulky and nowhere near as nice as the OEM Kouki wing.

However, there was a Zenki I came across one night that really seemed to pull it off and convinced me that it could actually be done right.

The only bit I still disagree with is Zenki tails. Kouki tails are still significantly better than Zenki.

Luckily, a Navan 3pc wing still on the original Navan trunk popped up for sale locally and I had to scoop it up.

Main difference between the Navan trunk and the US trunk is the Navan trunk does not have the third brake light on the trunk itself due to it being on the spoiler. It's a small and subtle difference most people would overlook.

There are a few last exterior mods I have in mind before moving onto the engine bay, but I am definitely happy with the direction it's headed in.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
encludemeout
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
encludemeout is making a name for him/her selfencludemeout is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Curious to know if you're going to mount the wing extensions with the OE hardware or go another route?
Old 08-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encludemeout View Post
Curious to know if you're going to mount the wing extensions with the OE hardware or go another route?
This is what I have mixed feelings about.

If I mount the extensions using the OE hardware, that means drilling holes on the top sections of the quarter panels.

I am leaning toward removing the studs and mounting those pieces with 3M double sided tape. I highly doubt they would go flying off.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You could also apply some silicone adhesive for good measure.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #14
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
You could also apply some silicone adhesive for good measure.
+1 to this idea

Z32 guys use silicone to mount spoilers all the time and it works out well. They have a larger surface to mount against the body than those side extensions, but proper prep work and some quality product should get the job done. You aren't going to get it off without wrecking the paint, but at least you aren't blowing holes in your ship to mount it.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #15
encludemeout
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
encludemeout is making a name for him/her selfencludemeout is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
This is what I have mixed feelings about.

If I mount the extensions using the OE hardware, that means drilling holes on the top sections of the quarter panels.

I am leaning toward removing the studs and mounting those pieces with 3M double sided tape. I highly doubt they would go flying off.
FWIW, that is what I did. Two years later and I haven't lost either yet (knock on wood).