Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #61
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Like I said - I have both. The value you get with Milwaukee is unheard of. Better batteries, power rating and quality. The SnapOn shit is pretty top notch with air and hand tools but electrical, it sucks. I've had issues with batteries dying after a year with normal use and cycling so I'm not using the same battery each time [I have about 8 in that size] and they just are not as good as their Milwaukee cousin; they're not complete shit but they're not as good. I'm not a brand specific fanboy at all but I will be very hardpressed to buy anything other than what I've had great luck with - within reason. If it's something I'll literally use once, I will either borrow it from someone or go to HF and get it and then give it away when I'm done or can justify spending actual money on something quality.

Side note: I literally own zero HF tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
+1 on snapon needing battery help...not sure if its the charger or what...I have the 3/8 14.4 volt and ran through the first set of batteries, replaced them with some on amazon (different company) and they both died shortly after too...I moved it back into its box as 100 per battery set is quite ridiculous as my air reaches everywhere at home that I need to be...
Huh maybe I just got lucky? My batteries have not given me any issues three years strong.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:17 AM   #62
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
I don’t use air too much but I do here and there depending on the application. Electric is just far more convenient and the instant torque cannot be beat.

You may have gotten lucky because everyone in my shop and at work has had battery issues with SnapOn and are all slowly transitioning away. Their larger batteries are even more unreliable.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #63
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
ya when it worked was awesome, if they had a corded option I might do that...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #64
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
They think they're too good for corded. This is another reason other brands are seizing the market. Sometimes, a corded tool is a much better option. I'll admit that I may only have 1 or 2, that's 1 or 2 tools times however many people who are tool buyers that SnapOn has lost a chance to sell something to - even if we went another route. You miss every shot you don't take.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #65
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Quote:
They think they're too good for corded. This is another reason other brands are seizing the market. Sometimes, a corded tool is a much better option. I'll admit that I may only have 1 or 2, that's 1 or 2 tools times however many people who are tool buyers that SnapOn has lost a chance to sell something to - even if we went another route. You miss every shot you don't take.
I can not remember the last time I used a corded tool lol. Air/electric is life.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #66
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Shit, I rarely even use air. Once you get used to the torque of electric, it's hard to turn away. The only downside is the batteries if you don't have a ton of them on deck charged.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #67
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Cool thread idea, def have my eye on a couple new things I'll have to get lol

BRNDCK- good recommendations on some nice stuff, I own a lot of the things you mentioned like Knipex stuff, I have the Lincoln easy MIG, and the same Ingersall Rand impact haha nice tools for sure!

May have missed it but I didn't see a mention of universal impact sockets. I'd be lost without those things! Makes tough bolts in tricky spots a breeze, they just work so much better than a traditional stand alone universal and socket. I have a Matco set that was pretty pricey and also a harbor freight set, I honestly find myself grabbing the HF ones all the time, they work great and for I think like $35 it's a great buy. Highly recommend having these sockets in 1/2" drive, must have IMO!!

Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #68
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Cool thread idea, def have my eye on a couple new things I'll have to get lol

BRNDCK- good recommendations on some nice stuff, I own a lot of the things you mentioned like Knipex stuff, I have the Lincoln easy MIG, and the same Ingersall Rand impact haha nice tools for sure!

May have missed it but I didn't see a mention of universal impact sockets. I'd be lost without those things! Makes tough bolts in tricky spots a breeze, they just work so much better than a traditional stand alone universal and socket. I have a Matco set that was pretty pricey and also a harbor freight set, I honestly find myself grabbing the HF ones all the time, they work great and for I think like $35 it's a great buy. Highly recommend having these sockets in 1/2" drive, must have IMO!!

Matco ADV!! FTMW ! I have then in 1/4 also 100 recommended.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #69
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

For stuff that I'm not constantly using, I use the tool truck off brands like BluePoint [SnapOn] or BluePOWER [Cornwell]. Still a lifetime warranty, still quality but a fraction of the price. Some specialty shit I have stacked in the hidden drawers of my boxes will be filled with that sort of shit - weird extra long socket sets, wrenches I've bent or cut [purposely], etc.

I think I got a BluePOWER 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 metric universal socket set [all 3] for $150? $200 tops? How does one even say no?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #70
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
shit - weird extra long socket sets, wrenches I've bent or cut [purposely], etc.
Please post pics of this said stuff
Old 01-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #71
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

my snapon dealer, when I worked at a shop, told me that the bluepoint is all their old stuff they just rename so it stays on their available options but doesn't compete with the new stuff...I got my share of theirs but some of the new stuff was just to good to go back...or I needed it right when he showed up lol...I use my flexhead 3//8ths on just about everything along with my deep sockets...

I did grab some HF offset wrenches as I couldn't justify the cost of the snapon ones, also have their 1/2 electric impact, their impact sockets, and a few other misc...I find it funny I have never broken my HF stuff but continually break my 3/8 14mm socket...2x stepping it down on my 1/2 snapon impact and 1x by hand
Old 01-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #72
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
^thats funny I totally agree, I've broken countless 3/8" drive 13mm and 14mm sockets from various higher end brand names and I've yet to break even the cheaper HF sockets hahah
Old 02-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #73
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
my snapon dealer, when I worked at a shop, told me that the bluepoint is all their old stuff they just rename so it stays on their available options but doesn't compete with the new stuff...I got my share of theirs but some of the new stuff was just to good to go back...or I needed it right when he showed up lol...I use my flexhead 3//8ths on just about everything along with my deep sockets...

I did grab some HF offset wrenches as I couldn't justify the cost of the snapon ones, also have their 1/2 electric impact, their impact sockets, and a few other misc...I find it funny I have never broken my HF stuff but continually break my 3/8 14mm socket...2x stepping it down on my 1/2 snapon impact and 1x by hand
While some of what he says is true, it's not completely. Some of the BluePoint stuff is stuff that isn't made here/made with a different material or process, not patented or is obsolete that they try to keep around. This doesn't mean it's shitty quality, it just means they can't brand it as SnapOn [or MAC or Cornwell or any tool truck brand].

I have a full tool box in my enclosed trailer with all off-brand stuff and I'll be honest - it all works perfectly fine. Hadn't I been such a snob in the past, I probably would have gotten all of my shit as tool truck's off brands.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #74
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

that's funny...guess my snapon guy got me again! but I agree they work great! I too have the universals but rarely use them...I think I got them for a specific truck we had issues getting to a bolt so I picked up commonly used sizes and they just gather dust at the moment...not getting rid of any cuz that one time I need it don't wna be stuck lol!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #75
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

HF new ICON line is competitive with the trucks off brands. I am really digging it. Filled my race car trailer box full with them. I will snap some pics this weekend when I am doing my prep for my race weekend.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:35 AM   #76
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I'll pass on anything from HF regardless of the reviews. The truck brands have something to prove against their cost, HF brands are the opposite. It's about people believing the low costs are great value if the thing doesn't shit itself in 10 minutes. ICON is still fairly expensive for what it is. If you can justify that, fire away but BluePoint, BluePower, Craftsman and all those other brands that are made in some foreign country, are cheap and have lifetime warranties will always be me go to over something at HF mainly because if it's there, they are paying literally a fraction of a penny on the dollar and marking it way up there. I think I read somewhere that the mark up there is almost 1,000%.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #77
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

+1 on snapon lifetime warranty...deadblow hammer neck broke, they are sending me new one right now!!! just read on alternate forum that craftsman you have to mail in now instead of being able to exchange it...I hear lowes may exchange it but that's only if they have the tool in stock...I think I had to send back my needle nose and my flexhead ratchet but turnaround was really quick!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #78
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'll pass on anything from HF regardless of the reviews. The truck brands have something to prove against their cost, HF brands are the opposite. It's about people believing the low costs are great value if the thing doesn't shit itself in 10 minutes. ICON is still fairly expensive for what it is. If you can justify that, fire away but BluePoint, BluePower, Craftsman and all those other brands that are made in some foreign country, are cheap and have lifetime warranties will always be me go to over something at HF mainly because if it's there, they are paying literally a fraction of a penny on the dollar and marking it way up there. I think I read somewhere that the mark up there is almost 1,000%.
Quote:
+1 on snapon lifetime warranty...deadblow hammer neck broke, they are sending me new one right now!!! just read on alternate forum that craftsman you have to mail in now instead of being able to exchange it...I hear lowes may exchange it but that's only if they have the tool in stock...I think I had to send back my needle nose and my flexhead ratchet but turnaround was really quick!
I hear you loud & clear. Generally I would be in total agreement. ICON may have me biased since my spouse works for HF corporate. I do not pay what you would pay, in fact alot of it was free for me to test. With that said they do offer a lifetime warranty on the ICON line & I have found it to be extremely pleasant to work with. I cant stand most of the hand tools that come from HF I usually destroy them in one or more uses. ICON has held up through some big jobs for me already. Did a M20 engine in the garages at Sonoma on Saturday night & raced Sunday morning. ICON shit performed excellent.

This is just my opinion, I am not trying to sell you anything. Just expressing my two cents, there is value to be had in ICON.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #79
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

thus why we are discussing tools on this thread! lol, my best impact has been my HF electric 1/2 inch...don't remember brand on it but it out does my air tools with my 25gal compressor! I also have random tools that have been given to me over the years that hold up great and others that prefer to just be moved to the trash, for example I have a set of no-name pliers that I was given, have melted them multiple times with battery contact but they hold up great, hold everything perfectly, slide positions easily and stay when I put them there...also they fit my hand perfectly despite being over 30 years old and when ergonomics weren't as high a priority
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 PM   #80
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

So as promised I took some photos today while I was prepping for Chuckwalla next weekend.

Here is my trailer tool cart set up.

image5 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

All these sockets are ICON basically a total replica of Snap-On. You will notice it big time when you get to the wrench drawer.

image6 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

The 1/2 inch ratchet in-between my torque wrench & electric 3/8 is a ICON looks just like a Snap-On & surprisingly feels close to one too.

image7 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image8 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image9 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image11 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image10 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image12 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

Here are some shots of my race car & trailer set up.

image1 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image0 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image2 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image3 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image4 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image13 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr

image14 by Hasan Hamade, on Flickr
Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #81
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Sweet setup dude!!
Gotta ask, is that an engel cooler on the passenger side? What is it for? lol
Old 02-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #82
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clearly the guy delivers organs hauling ass in that car, hence the racecar upgrades.
Honeslty idk how some peolple can keep their tool boxes organized. I find that the only way to make real money in the auto mechanic business is to move like crazy, and that means making a mess. I orginize my shit every once in a while, but it doesnt last...
I also rarely break stuff or loose tools, and that includes 10mm sockets, funny. And that's even with china freight tools.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 AM   #83
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Sweet setup dude!!
Gotta ask, is that an engel cooler on the passenger side? What is it for? lol
lol That is an icebox cooler with a sump pump built in. Under my race suit I wear nomex garments that have tubes sewed in. I connect a in & out line to it, and when I flip the switch on my dash it pumps ice water through out my body. Its extremely helpful when I am doing endurance races. I do not really use for sprint races other than my two summer races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Clearly the guy delivers organs hauling ass in that car, hence the racecar upgrades.
Honeslty idk how some peolple can keep their tool boxes organized. I find that the only way to make real money in the auto mechanic business is to move like crazy, and that means making a mess. I orginize my shit every once in a while, but it doesnt last...
I also rarely break stuff or loose tools, and that includes 10mm sockets, funny. And that's even with china freight tools.
lol Exactly ... high speed organ delivery.

I have a cart I use when I am working and that gets messy. When I am cleaning up I take all my tools out of the cart & wipe them down. Then proceed to neatly put them away back in my box. That way the box is always clean & organized, as for the cart.....well it gets the shit beat out of it on a daily basis lol. Tools get all mixed up and all over the place in it.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #84
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
I hear you loud & clear. Generally I would be in total agreement. ICON may have me biased since my spouse works for HF corporate. I do not pay what you would pay, in fact alot of it was free for me to test. With that said they do offer a lifetime warranty on the ICON line & I have found it to be extremely pleasant to work with. I cant stand most of the hand tools that come from HF I usually destroy them in one or more uses. ICON has held up through some big jobs for me already. Did a M20 engine in the garages at Sonoma on Saturday night & raced Sunday morning. ICON shit performed excellent.

This is just my opinion, I am not trying to sell you anything. Just expressing my two cents, there is value to be had in ICON.
If you don't pay what I pay and there is a large difference in price, imagine what they pay for it. Now use that fictitious number and assume there is a 10-20% mark up to get your price with freight and handling already factored in. Can a quality tool be made for that little? In most circumstances, no.

Not trying to dog the product and I'm sure that the line will do well because of the audience HF has but I'll leave it to the hoards.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #85
BigKriss
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
BigKriss is making a name for him/her selfBigKriss is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I opened this thread looking at posting something about my Boss...aah well, Ill find another tool thread...
BigKriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #86
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
I opened this thread looking at posting something about my Boss...aah well, Ill find another tool thread...

Haha.ha.ha.ha.......
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #87
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Quote:
If you don't pay what I pay and there is a large difference in price, imagine what they pay for it. Now use that fictitious number and assume there is a 10-20% mark up to get your price with freight and handling already factored in. Can a quality tool be made for that little? In most circumstances, no.

Not trying to dog the product and I'm sure that the line will do well because of the audience HF has but I'll leave it to the hoards.
Nothing wrong with that! At lest now you are informed & in a bind know the superior choice out of the shit selection from HF lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post

lol This is gold. If you start another official tool thread I have some people I will contribute to your thread with.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #88
Standard
Zilvia Addict

LOL @ high speed organ delivery hahah

I was curious as I have a cooler that looks identical I use for fishing lol
Old 02-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #89
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

I was in the same boat for speed and mess, but after finding how much time you save by organizing job after job I would organize as much as I had space for...using bluepoint cart lol, and as I got a bigger setup I could find my tools faster and thereby complete jobs faster. in the middle of jobs its a bit messy lol
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #90
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes! Tool rocks! I <3 Maynard!

Seriously though, I'll be posting here soon. I don't have anything close to what you guys are showing off, but after 15-20 years of turning wrenches I'm finally upgrading from basic hand tools.
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote