Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #121
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkiset View Post
Got my last parts from brett todayyyyy!

Also, does anyone have a write up on using power steering in this swap for an s14 or know where I can find one? There's a couple guys on here with this swap in their s14's but only state the parts they used which doesn't really help me that much. really need pics.
Zenki will you get an accurate measurement of the drive shaft? Actually if you could lay the 1 PC next to the OEM and get the difference in size, you'd be a god among men. Or at least me.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #122
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
You can use the stock driveshaft if you choose to, but it puts your motor unfavorably forward. The motor/trans need to be pushed back 2 7/16" back with the method I use of bolting up the trans cross member like so

Simply bolt up the front of the member to the back holes and make a bracket. This in turn will obviously move the shifter back that distance, but you'll end up with proper clearances for other things in your engine bay. Doing this will also put you within 1/8 from the brake booster on an s13, so this is as far back as you can go.

Small update on my pig. Time to fab up all the little things, so I threw in my mockup motor.

I'd be willing to make you guys motor mounts and the trans brackets for a very reasonable cost if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a pm

Last edited by turtle m3th; 10-06-2013 at 12:50 PM..
turtle m3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #123
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
God among men turtle.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #124
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fries, I didnt get the full kit from brett :/. but as you already saw, turtle clear everything up
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #125
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
I am currently working on getting a full kit together for you guys (minus the adapter plate.) I've done this swap a few times now, and have a good understanding of how things "should" be done, and what should be improved upon.

parts included:
Plug and play harness
motor/trans mounts (with, or without the use of an insulator)
power steering kit
driveshaft available for order through "thorough concepts" Ali is great!!!
template for shifter hole trimming
stock sway bar modification (i'll post pics of this soon.)
throw out bearing modification (you can send me your current unit to save money)
pilot bearing adapter
clutch line (if converting from auto trans)
A list of part #'s you need to finalize your swap
and lastly PDF files of articles I've found to be informative about the 1UZ!

If anyone of you is willing to a comprehensive build thread, I'll be glad to provide you with all items from the above list granted you provide the parts needed for modification (engine harness, throw out bearing, etc.) I can even go as far as doing header modifications, and making y pipes!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #126
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

have you done the wiring on this swap for an s14 before? id rather pay someone that knows what theyre doing, than screw it up trying to do it myself. a lot less stressful for me being that I will not have to worry about it while packing up everything and trying to sell the house. if so, PM me a quote.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #127
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle m3th View Post
I am currently working on getting a full kit together for you guys (minus the adapter plate.) I've done this swap a few times now, and have a good understanding of how things "should" be done, and what should be improved upon.

parts included:
Plug and play harness
motor/trans mounts (with, or without the use of an insulator)
power steering kit
driveshaft available for order through "thorough concepts" Ali is great!!!
template for shifter hole trimming
stock sway bar modification (i'll post pics of this soon.)
throw out bearing modification (you can send me your current unit to save money)
pilot bearing adapter
clutch line (if converting from auto trans)
A list of part #'s you need to finalize your swap
and lastly PDF files of articles I've found to be informative about the 1UZ!

If anyone of you is willing to a comprehensive build thread, I'll be glad to provide you with all items from the above list granted you provide the parts needed for modification (engine harness, throw out bearing, etc.) I can even go as far as doing header modifications, and making y pipes!!!
Turtle if you're down for wiring and header work for a s14 pm me and we'll talk business.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #128
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Sorry guys, I have yet to get my hands on an s14. But, on the upside, I have got a car to work with so I can start a well documented build thread. Pretty much everything I've listed above will be covered, so stay tuned!

Last edited by turtle m3th; 10-11-2013 at 02:39 PM..
turtle m3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #129
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

How many bolt holes lined up on the transmission adapter for the KA24DE?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #130
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

I'm not 100 percent sure, but it's most of them if not all. I only use the larger sized bolts that are on the top and the sides.

finished mounting up the power steering pump, and mocked up the lines. The routing isn't final yet.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #131
imoverherre
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
imoverherre is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Yup from reading this whole thread, I might not get the swap kit from Brett.

To think your paying 16?? (that's the price I saw on his page (could be wrong) and still have to modify some parts it's not such a good ideal.

Right know I just picked up my 1uz with harness and ecu with all accessories, for a good price I couldn't pass up. And looking to get this swap started.

Will be keeping up with this page.

Turtle I pm'ed you.
imoverherre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #132
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If Brett Colin sucks that bad on business end of things, where can I get an adapter to z33 tranny? Or even a ka tranny?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #133
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

^ I'm working on that one too. Should have some details this weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #134
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Jifter is an unknown quantity at this point
I finally got my 1uz 89 coupe finished and took it out to the drift event. Its a 91 1uz. Exhaust is 2.5 from the headers to single 3" to a vibrant muffler. KADE trans, straight one piece alum shaft, welded diff, 205 tires. The torque is awesome compared to my ka24det25 10psi hatch. Definitely has a bit more hp too.

Here is a vid from the event. Im in it a few times.

Shannonville Drift Event Oct 14 2013 - YouTube

Jifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #135
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't want to burden this thread with an intro and my 1UZ woes, but I'll keep it short...

Who am I: My name is Mike. I'm a 29 year old graduated Mechanical Engineer from University of Miami, currently still living in Miami. I have tons of fab and machining experience (check out my previous job of chief engineer at scorpionmotorsports.com). I'm now in the medical device field working as a Biomedical Engineer. I've been drifting my Z for 3 years, and decided to build an S13 missile car since the Z is my daily and it's not worth busting up at the track.

My story: After getting the run around from Collins (including a huge variation in his pricing along the 6 months it took him to respond to all my detailed questions), I found a member on Zilvia selling his "turnkey swap". It was not cheap, but did come with all the right parts to stuff it into my S13 including a Z33 tranny and adapter, new ACT clutch and modified tundra headers. I don't have any malice towards the previous owner, he has been great at helping me out with questions I have, but the built quality is not up to my standards.. you know what they say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

The wiring was hacked, the engine looks a thousand years old, and the other day, get this, I took the header wrap off to slap a coat of heat resistant paint on them only to my dismay to find a 3" section of galvanized fence post section welded in. To add insult to injury, the welds might be the worst welds I've ever seen and do not fully seal. Needless to say, I will be fabbing my own long tube 304SS headers (at least the driver side).

I can provide updates to anybody interested in my build, but I am grateful there are others out there that are knowledgeable and happy to post their builds for us to follow along.
MiamiZ33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #136
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Sweet shit jitter!
Sucks about your header z33. I'm not excited about having to get mine fabbed.

I was able to get a 1uz outta a rear ended ls400. With 83k on it! Rear main leaks like a mofo, but other than that... Pretty stoked.

Did work.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #137
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

I have never seen 1UZ swap headers, even Collins was going to "need my car" to custom make me a header. WTF. I understand clearance is tight, but hell.. if someone sold legit headers with their mount kits, I think they'd have a strong advantage over their competitors.

I'll keep everyone posted when my mandrel bends come in.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #138
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Glad to see there's more activity in this thread! I'm heading to the machine shop tomorrow to get some of these parts going for you guys.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #139
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Very exciting news guys! Just left the machine shop and the prices are projected to be very similar to Brett Collins! These are actual cnc'd parts for around the same cost as some mickey mouse bullshit! First thing being addressed is the throw out bearing. So, for those of you that have only purchased your plate through Brett, I will have a solution for you guys so you don't have to deal with the lack of proper "customer care" or questionable quality control. This is a process, so i'll be updating everyone along the way before the build thread actually begins.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #140
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

great work turtle! im sure that once your name gets out there you will have his business. bc ive heard nothing but complaints when it comes to his customer service. looks like you got a new business on your hands! ha.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #141
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Very exciting news guys! Just left the machine shop and the prices are projected to be very similar to Brett Collins! These are actual cnc'd parts for around the same cost as some mickey mouse bullshit! First thing being addressed is the throw out bearing. So, for those of you that have only purchased your plate through Brett, I will have a solution for you guys so you don't have to deal with the lack of proper "customer care" or questionable quality control. This is a process, so i'll be updating everyone along the way before the build thread actually begins.
Dude. I'm waiting on a tob and pilot bushing from Collins, but its been a bit. If you can get something made relatively quickly I'd be soooo down.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #142
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Hey guys, check out what a customer of mine is dealing with when if comes to good ol Brett!

He opened up a paypal claim against him yesterday @3:57 pm (10/19). Here's the screen shot of what was said.

Then i'm assuming that once Brett caught wind of the claim he even more disrespectfully decided to send the package anyways @8:05 pm (10/19) after a refund was requested!!! So now my customer has gotta deal with that.

Fries: I've got you covered if you can wait about 2 weeks!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #143
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Anybody else think it's funny that he's on SHADE avenue?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #144
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

^LOL! honestly though, you guys can peep my trader rating and feel confident buying from me. I'm an engineer major myself, and i have no idea which school Brett is learning from, but he sure doesn't make it seem accredited, LOL!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #145
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Also... Lmk if you can make a 1/2jz to z33.. or even a KA tranny!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #146
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

I can make whatever demand dictates. I wish I had the resources to explore all avenues, but unless the demand is there i'm much too small of an operation at the moment to accommodate everyones needs. A 1/2jz adapter is very likely in the future though! However, I will stray away from doing one for the ka transmission because it will inevitably fail on the jz series.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #147
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Updates: Okay, so the throw out bearing parts are taking a little longer than my machinist originally told me because he had to order up some tooling to get the job done. Shouldn't be more than another week. Pilot bushing adapters will be done next week too!

onto my turd! I got a lot of little things sorted out: power steering lines, radiator lines, y pipe, intake (armor all tub temporarily, LOL!) p/s cooler, along with some other small stuff. I'm almost ready to start wiring. Should be another couple of weeks since I don't get much time to wrench these days.

the lines are just for mock up

yes, I got the biggest filter I could find!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #148
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Does anybody have an FSM? Preferably from a early 90s LS400 which my particular setup was pulled from. I'm buttoning up the wiring but ran into a few items of concern maybe you guys can help me out with:

There's a ring terminal near the passenger cylinder head that has 4 wires in it (including two White/Blue) and I'm wondering if it's for a ground or what.

Do you have to pull the intake manifold to get at the +12V that goes to the starter?

Also, where are you guys mounting your igniters? I tubed the front end of my car, so I have no fender wells forward of the shock tower to mount to, so I may need to mount them further back and extend the AFM plug.

TurtleM3th, which power steering pump are you running? Mine is belt driven off the passenger side of the engine... is yours electric?

As an update, I started receiving the tubing to fab my headers/y-pipe. So I'm stoked about that.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #149
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

It's an electric p/s pump from an sw20 mr2.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #150
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

here's a model of the new throw out bearing assembly which is getting done this week! I will not be providing the actual throw out bearing itself so you have the ability to run whichever one you'd like. It is also internally identical to the stock unit, so the grease collector is also retained.

A "no guess" pilot bearing adapter is also going to be in the mix this week. hope you guys are as excited as I am to get these parts into testing!