Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
vasponger

Trader Rating: (0)
vasponger is on the path to ruinvasponger is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No defrost heat/ passenger floor wet?

Not sure if theyre related or Im just piling up issues.

I dont drive the car in the rain, or much at all. But it did rain a bunch recently and my weatherstripping is not complete. I noticed the passenger floor front and rear was wet. It didnt smell like coolant. I folded the carpet back. all 4 sunroof drains ran out the bottom of the car. I sprayed the car down, front windshield, sunroof, and doors. nothing new wet. I turned the heat up and put on defrost with car idling temp got to almost halfway/normal temp. defrost wasnt even warm. I put a hand on the heater hoses near firewall, both were warm.

I bought the car in the fall, havent put a lot of mileage on it to know all of its issues yet. but it made a 4hr trip without overheating. but coolant didnt look great.
vasponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Umm year, make and model of car might help here...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
vasponger

96 240sx SE Red
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
KrisLN

KrisLN is an unknown quantity at this point
Body seams tend to cause impossible to find leaks I've found. I had a hairline crack in the seam under my trunk lid that would fill up my rear quarter panel in a drizzle. Took me forever to find. Unfortunately I don't know any way of finding these leaks besides tearing your interior apart and and spraying down the outside of your car. also sunroofs SUCK
KrisLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
vasponger

i pulled up all of the passenger carpet, dried it as much as i could. Drove it around at temp with defrost on. its warm at best. but nothing draining from the dash, its supposed to rain tonight so i left it out. i did clean some tree junk from the cowl corners. so maybe it backed up from there.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
its the red paint color...attracts moisture...jk lol cleaning out the drains helps a lot...also the moulding just about everywhere rots...if you do find moisture again, feel upwards of where its wet and you should find it...my fc it took me forever as its super dry here...was leaning back in my car to nap and it started raining hard...found leak fast as windshield had (during install who knows how long ago) slipped down just enough to have slight crack, not visible outside the car and let in just about every bit of water it could lol...was fun drive home!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
vasponger

So it did rain a little last night. small puddle behind the seat mount.

I think I know what happened. This little guy used to have a piece of tape covering it. BTW is this missing a piece or did it shrink.

We had a bunch of rain a week or 2 ago, and I didnt even look at the car. I knew it was probably the sunroof but I couldnt explain why it was on the passenger side and not the drivers. Well I was parked in the street and it slopes to the passenger side, so it would leak to the headliner and it would travel one way.

The only thing Im not sure of is how the front floor got soaked with that front seat mount, unless it got through the seams somehow.

The defrosters I guess just suck
Old 02-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That gap in the rear of the seal is there by design. All moonroof equipped S14(s) have that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

normally theres a piece of plastic/rubber there to take up the extra space...seal that and you should be good! hopefully lol!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Gap is nooo good. The seal shrinks over time and makes it a massive gaping hole... fix it... i glued some round stock in there..then covered that with spilt rubber vacuum hose, some sand paper to get the perfect shape and mint sealage!(sp)
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
vasponger

I bought a new sunroof weatherstrip. But ill wait until paint for that, ill throw something in there temp then. If that gaps bad my front windshield is worse.
Same gap in the top middle, and then both top corners are like this
Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #12
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

think you would be better just sticking the garden hose into your car and running the water with all those holes lol! but seal those up and for the heat check your heater core operation and your position selector
Old 02-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
vasponger

Yea I dont even know what to do about that windshield I gotta talk to the paint guy and see what theyll do cause I dont even know whats missing/how its supposed to be or just use some aftermarket stuff.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:46 PM   #14
AndrewS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
AndrewS13 will become famous soon enoughAndrewS13 will become famous soon enoughAndrewS13 will become famous soon enoughAndrewS13 will become famous soon enoughAndrewS13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It sounds like your heater core is clogged. Happens a lot on older cars they get gunked up and the coolant doesnt flow through correctly.
AndrewS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #15
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
They may be unrelated, if the wetness was not coolant. I would suspect heater core though because your symptoms go hand in hand. Heater core job is not very fun but it is doable even for the novice.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #16
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

yup...if you cant back flush it with garden hose just remove all bolts from dash and take everything off it as well then you have some more fun stuff to remove under the dash...had to do it on first 240 and took a full weekend...with experience on them I'm sure I could do it a bit faster
Old 02-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
If you want to replace it this is the OEM PN#27140-70F00. Good luck have as much fun as possible.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #18
vasponger

my next lil project is to flush out the system. i kinda wonder if theres even a thermostat in it