Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
The fabrication thread.

Here is a thread I am starting to showcase the fellow fabricators here on the forum. Post up your legitimate fabrication projects.

rules:
No lame projects (weld on muffler, bolt in cage, silvia fronts, stupid stuff)
Be informative to help others with their projects.
Showcase the production process (before, during, after)
Constructive critisism only.

I will post up some more interesting things once i get my camera from work and upload the images. I will post pics of some aluminum valve covers I made for a gt40, chassis modifications, roll cage fabrication and DIY help tips, welding pics and tips, custom 2-1/4'' headers I am making for the shop car, a 500 ci donovan fuel injected supercharged aluminum big block
(yes a real donovan)

If anyone has any questions for fab projects feel free to pm me if you think I can help out in anyway. Thanks.

Project: 69 Camaro pro touring.

mock up: (old iron block no blower)

Willwoods all around.

Forgeline wheels.

Custom air ride rear suspension. fabricated to hold coilovers.

Yes that is a quick change on a street car.

Custom fabbed t304 stainless gas tank. All tig welded.

Custom subframe.

Custom made subframe connectors. Now tig welded.

I will post up action shots tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
good god.......awesome thread!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
mademedoit
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymoremademedoit is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those big chrome gills right in front of your rear wheel that serve NO purpose. Can't you remove them and weld up the holes, that would be some good fabrication.
mademedoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mademedoit View Post
Those big chrome gills right in front of your rear wheel that serve NO purpose. Can't you remove them and weld up the holes, that would be some good fabrication.
Sorry the rear wheel vents are a trademark of the camaro, and eventhough the production can vents are only visual in purpose, they were added so that the factory team could use a functional piece. They are original and will stay in place. Besides.. I would not consider plugging some holes with a mig and sanding some bondo "fabrication".
Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
manka4343

Trader Rating: (0)
manka4343 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice project.. but that is a Ford 9", not a quick change..
manka4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
blu808
Post Whore!

Its a ford 9" fully gusseted with a quick change.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
manka4343

manka4343 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Its a ford 9" fully gusseted with a quick change.
Huh? It's a ford 9" with a billet pinion support.. I am new to imports, but i've been around domestics a long time.. This is a quick change.. It's called a quick change because you can change the final drive ratio in about 5 minutes by taking that rear cover off and changing two little gears, but the ring and pinion stay the same..

Last edited by manka4343; 01-29-2008 at 11:26 PM..
manka4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
blu808
Post Whore!

that is true. Alot of circle track guys use those rear ends. I will double check the specs on our rear end tomorrow and let you know exactly what it is. From what I was told it was a quick change of some sorts.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I forsee this being a great thread. I think the thread rules should also state that it has to be the poster's fabrication. It shouldn't be some fab work that you happened to see on some random google search. This way real answers to questions about the fab work could be given. +1 to the op for a great thread idea.

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Awesome thread! I am going to document the front diffuser, radiator duct, and brake/intake ducts that I am going to fab up for my front bumper. I'll be back soon!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Well I guess I could post up a turbo manifold I've helped built. This was on my car, then all of my turbo stuff got stolen , But anyway onto pictures. Here we are mocking up the turbo position.

Here it is with runners and all welded up.

Here's it is completely done w/ IC pipes and such

Last edited by NiSilS14; 01-23-2008 at 10:38 PM..
NiSilS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
interesting spot for the wastegate. nice work though.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
I don't have any pictures of any thing recent, i never remember to photograph my work. I just bought a nice camera so i will be now. I also haven't had the chance to build anything cool in a while.

Here is a set of Turbo Headers i built for a 347 powered Ford SuperCoupe, the original headers had been repaired multiple times and finally blew apart, they were also 1.5" tubing, and we stepped up to 1-5/8ths. This car made over 630Hp.
on a Fixture i threw together real fast, i made these headers from start to finish in a couple of hours.

old vs. New

Finished pair, the wastegate was located on the Crossover pipe Which the customer made himself at his house.

The first Intake manifold i had ever made bout three or four years ago, it was a employee of mine, he wanted somthing simple.

My car. This thing has been sitting collecting dust for two years, and has only ran for a week since i built this setup in 06.

Evo 8 Turbo with under 1K on it.

Fully wired up, and ready to run, but it hasnt in almost a year...

Thats it. I wish i had more to share. I have improved alot since alot of these were taken, It sucks i Havent been recording any of my work.

Jon
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #14
blu808
Post Whore!

Great replies everyone.

slw240sx: Mad props on the fab skills. Making both of those in one day is awesome. Can you share with the viewers some tips on minimizing production time, and some tips on getting everything done on schedule. Such as collector placement, runner length, overall expectations for the project?

Sweet.

burnsauto: yes. Inovative placement since the usual location was not available.

Nisils14: Awesome angle on those beautiful collectors. Flow is shaking your hand with that setup. lol

Also great manifold design assuming it was thick material.

What gauge did you use?

Again. Great to see some contributions. Any pics before, after, during, to help the DIY guys ?

mods.. Sticky please
Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
blu808
Post Whore!

Drtyrat: I agree. Only personal work. Dont post up a pic of a F1 engine and say it is awesome.... we already know it is.

So... yea. Only cool fab stuff that pertains to you.

racepar1: I would really like to see your documented build of that.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #16
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Nisils14: Awesome angle on those beautiful collectors. Flow is shaking your hand with that setup. lol

Also great manifold design assuming it was thick material.

What gauge did you use?
Thanks! It's just the usual sch10 304SS piping.
NiSilS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #17
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Drtyrat: I agree. Only personal work. Dont post up a pic of a F1 engine and say it is awesome.... we already know it is.

So... yea. Only cool fab stuff that pertains to you.

racepar1: I would really like to see your documented build of that.
Gimme a week or two as I need to repair the cracks in the bumper first, but I promise I will write it up and take my time so I have a good product at the end not some piece of crap.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #18
blu808
Post Whore!

schedule 10 is cool. I assumed it was 304

Is there anything you can give out for info to help the DIY or newbies?
Let us know what you did to figure out the runner length, collector placement, etc. lets spread it out.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #19
blu808
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Gimme a week or two as I need to repair the cracks in the bumper first, but I promise I will write it up and take my time so I have a good product at the end not some piece of crap.
No hurry. I would just like to see it. Also please show what little tricks you use.

Me personally I would try to show any tricks i use. Such as using a radius gauge set, contour guages, hell even a protractor. anything to make this thread useful in a way that is beyond visually attractive.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
Quote:
No hurry. I would just like to see it. Also please show what little tricks you use.

Me personally I would try to show any tricks i use. Such as using a radius gauge set, contour guages, hell even a protractor. anything to make this thread useful in a way that is beyond visually attractive.
Luke you've nailed it on the head, there needs to be more informative posts on zilvia, and this is a step in the right direction.

Subscribed
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #21
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
love this thread idea..this is coming from someone who will be getting into fab very soon.

might i add that perhaps some details on what techniques were used to fab. ie, what equipment was used to bend tubing, what was used for mockups, what type of welding, what equipment was used for welding, etc..

just a though for us fab wannabes.

+1 for unique thread idea.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
This is the only parts i have really made on my own other then bracket for holding the IC and a cart for parts:

S13 Hatch Harness Bar Version 1. Cost me $25-$35 to make using Steel from various places.

I have since changed it, and added pieces that go off the cross bar that for where the harnesses bolt to. And Things off the back that have 1/4 steel bars that go down and bolt to where the rear seat belts bolted to. I will take new pics later.

I also made some custom reinforcement for my clearanced S13 bumper stupport using 1 1/2 inch angle iron.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Oh snap, very nice KA-T_240! I like the idea of that.

PMing you about that bar
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-T_240 View Post
This is the only parts i have really made on my own other then bracket for holding the IC and a cart for parts:

S13 Hatch Harness Bar Version 1. Cost me $25-$35 to make using Steel from various places.

I have since changed it, and added pieces that go off the cross bar that for where the harnesses bolt to. And Things off the back that have 1/4 steel bars that go down and bolt to where the rear seat belts bolted to. I will take new pics later.

I also made some custom reinforcement for my clearanced S13 bumper stupport using 1 1/2 inch angle iron.
This would be awesome if you could make a vertical stabilizer that would go down to where the seatbelt bolts in under the door.

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
tknbkthrsdy4anfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknbkthrsdy4anfg View Post
This would be awesome if you could make a vertical stabilizer that would go down to where the seatbelt bolts in under the door.
I already did that Just need to take pics of it. That was the start and didnt have it all finalized and was a dumbass and painted it before it was done.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #26
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Great idea blu808, that camaro looks amazing, awsome fab work.

Heres my first project I decided to tackle last year when I was 16, my first time welding/fabricating. Its nothing compared to the other projects but I figured I'd contribute to get this thread going.

It is bolted to the floor, I know not a good spot but there was no other easy solution. I'll be taking it out to paint it soon, when I do I'm going to re-inforce the floor mounting point, redo some welds and maybe extend the uprights around further. The sheet steel is 11 gauge, and the tubing is 1", 0.095" wall steel, $30 for all the metal.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

what would the purpose of the piece to the floor be?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
blu808
Post Whore!

Thanks for the comments guys.

KA_T; Nice harness bar. Looks well though out and finished. Im glad you put some down tubes on it.

sidewayz240: That is a cool strut tower bar. I like the brackets you made to hold the cross bars. Im assuming that was mig welded?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:

hahaha

I'm sorry I have to laught at this....I can just picture the look on your face while you are saying this

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #30
blu808
Post Whore!

Quote:
A triangle is stronger than a straight piece.

If you look at most roll cage designs they are mostly all comprised of triangles.