Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
broke240fromHI

Trader Rating: (0)
broke240fromHI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24DE and BC 264/264 Cams

Trying to install my cylinder head and I had put in Brian Crower 264/264 cams and BC0210 valvetrain Kit (Dual Spring and Titanium retainer/seat) and Tomei Adjustable Sliding cam gears

I am wondering if degreeing the cams is necessary? They say on the website that it is ?plug and play? application...

I?ve tried to degree them and I got the intake cam adjusted to 121 degrees as it calls for in the cam card centerline.

However the exhaust comes out to a whopping 250 degrees, when it should be at 118 degrees... and this is at OEM TDC cam position (cylinder 1 lobes flat and in. And ex. facing away from each other)....

Tried removing the exhaust cam gear and moving the cam to a more advanced position. But I am afraid of running the motor this way.

Can anyone shine any light upon my situation as to what I should do before I explode my motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
broke240fromHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No, leave it.... at most ull degree the cams durning tuning. But probly wont get much out of it. Leave them at stock location
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
broke240fromHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
No, leave it.... at most ull degree the cams durning tuning. But probly wont get much out of it. Leave them at stock location

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

The motor will most likely never get tuned as I?m just aiming to get this KA24 running and just run it as a daily workhorse. I have an RB that I?m building on the side that has Tomei Poncams and cam gears going in.

I just decided to degree the BC cams in my KA as an extra precaution, but has been proven a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
BC cams are known to be ground off-center so that they don't match up with the spec card. If you have adjustable cams gears you should degree the cams to match what the card says.. it'll make a huge difference in how the car runs.

Regardless if you just toss massive 264 cams in a KA and don't get the car tuned it's gonna run like crap anyways.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
broke240fromHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
BC cams are known to be ground off-center so that they don't match up with the spec card. If you have adjustable cams gears you should degree the cams to match what the card says.. it'll make a huge difference in how the car runs.

Regardless if you just toss massive 264 cams in a KA and don't get the car tuned it's gonna run like crap anyways.

If it?s ground off center and off spec from the cam card, what is the importance of degreeing to cam card specs? The cam will always be off if that were to be the case.

The motor is already sealed and I?m moving forward. I?ve left the intake cam degreed but left the exhaust cam at stock location as reason stated in my original post.

The motor can run like shit. I need the car running and off the lot. As I?ve said, I have a motor being built on the side. This is just a temporary motor.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm running those cams on stock springs, OEM cam gears. Looking to grab Tomei cam gears down the road but I have had no issue running them in stock alignment. Will see down the road if the adjustable cam gears and degreeing really make a massive difference. I'm sure I'll see something; Ended up w/ 10 mils taken off between the deck and head for flatness when I rebuilt the motor along w/ a 1.0mm headgasket, so they're in a more advanced position from that.

>>Build thread w/ dyno about half way down<<

Don't feel my powerband really suffers. Just about anything would be an improvement over the OEM S14 cams though.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
broke240fromHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
I'm running those cams on stock springs, OEM cam gears. Looking to grab Tomei cam gears down the road but I have had no issue running them in stock alignment. Will see down the road if the adjustable cam gears and degreeing really make a massive difference. I'm sure I'll see something; Ended up w/ 10 mils taken off between the deck and head for flatness when I rebuilt the motor along w/ a 1.0mm headgasket, so they're in a more advanced position from that.

>>Build thread w/ dyno about half way down<<

Don't feel my powerband really suffers. Just about anything would be an improvement over the OEM S14 cams though.

The tomei cam gears are a nice addition, as I?ve never seen any other company utilize sliding type gears for the cam gears. I only ever seen the Jim Wolf Technology adjustable gears with pre drilled holes. The only thing I hate is that the timing marks are on the back side (going towards the windshield) instead of facing forward like HKS adjustable gears or my Tomei adjustable gears for my RB20.

I really appreciate your quality build! I?ll have a look more into it when I have some downtime. Skimmed through it and was quite enlightened!

But I?m glad to hear it runs perfectly fine, even on OEM gears. I was kind of afraid it may have bogging or idling issues on start up.