Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-31-2022, 08:34 PM   #1
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
doridoridori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
S13 SR Turbo upgrades.

Recently my turbo went out (oil seal gone) turbo smoking like a coal train.
About to upgrade but on the fence wanted a 2nd/3rd opinion before i make a decision.

Want to keep it simple but not opposed to changes. Currently running stock turbo mani (the heatshield is nice and stock mani is stout) however ISR mani's look and sound good, with the ISR V2/V3 are you able to run the stock oil catch can/collector or does it absolutely have to go?

aside from that IF it does have to go has anyone run the radium S13 oil catch can setup? it looks good. Been looking for a S14 V.Cover to do the 13.4 but with prices today it's like spending 1k just to get a proper catch can setup.
So the radium stuff seems to make sense.

2871/2863 (garrett turbo) is what im looking at OR a 3071 top mount looks good but trying to keep it more responsive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Saving up a check or two then want to buy it all at once.

lmk what you guys run

P.S. - SR has been rebuilt, maybe 9-10k miles on it since rebuild, Entalpy tune, 750cc injectors, tomei poncams so not entirely stock but not crazy built either

Last edited by doridoridori; 11-01-2022 at 06:33 PM..
doridoridori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
if you want a simple bolt on turbo I suggest this.

https://mmpturbos.com/blogs/news/wel...e-family-ns400.

If you want something nicer with better tech you can always go g25-550, or efr 6758. Both options are considerably more expensive.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
garrett gbc 22-350
roughly same cost as a new s15 turbo, but current day design.
bolts up to stock manifold, but will need to be clocked so the oil drain points straight down, and the outlet points in the right direction. Will need a oil drain tube made. I took a s14/15 t28 drain and chopped / welded it to fit perfectly.

imo its a great value for the price, and plenty of puff for street cars.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
GTX2863 would be a nice bolt-on upgrade.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I run a GTX2860 with an xspower manifold and my car screams. 420 whp on 18 psi (granted that's with e85, cams, and 10.5:1 comp), but it would be my choice for any power goals 370 ish whp and below on a stock setup.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I run a GTX2863 w/ .64 AR hotside, stock mani/engine, nismotronic w/ 740cc right around 20psi. It has a great midrange pull, but I think the .64 is choking it out a little on the top end. 'Tuned' by me, no dyno.

It's plenty for me with a stock engine and S13 as a daily, but I do wonder how a GTX2867 with a larger AR hotside would have done. Probably pretty wild with some cams, but I'm not sure a stock SR20 would handle that. 2867 is also +$500 vs. the 2863.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
You absolutely cannot beat the GTX2860 Gen II if you're looking for a direct bolt on turbo that needs the absolute minimum amount of modifications.

Value for dollar will go to the GBC22-350, but more modifications are needed as detailed in brndck's post.

Personally I'm a fan of the EFR line. The response is insane.

Don't waste your time with an aftermarket bottom mount manifold. If I was going to buy a new manifold again, I'd go top mount, even if I wanted to run a T25-flanged turbo.

You can modify your stock valvecover to work perfectly fine with a normal catch can setup, see this thread:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=235851

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #8
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
if you want a simple bolt on turbo I suggest this.

https://mmpturbos.com/blogs/news/wel...e-family-ns400.

If you want something nicer with better tech you can always go g25-550, or efr 6758. Both options are considerably more expensive.

A friend of mine runs one and says it's pretty solid! just not sure i feel like waiting for shipping from AUS, G25-550 is NICE but is it splitting hairs money wise compared to getting a 2871r or even 2863?
Old 11-01-2022, 06:30 PM   #9
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
garrett gbc 22-350
roughly same cost as a new s15 turbo, but current day design.
bolts up to stock manifold, but will need to be clocked so the oil drain points straight down, and the outlet points in the right direction. Will need a oil drain tube made. I took a s14/15 t28 drain and chopped / welded it to fit perfectly.

imo its a great value for the price, and plenty of puff for street cars.
actually found out about those recently hadn't seen one before or know anyone that runs one but looks decent, deff want to stay in that mid300 - 400 range
Old 11-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
GTX2863 would be a nice bolt-on upgrade.
it does seem pretty promising and newer tech compared to a 2871 from what i was told, im not sure how old/new the 63 is but seems good. Via ATP says capable of 450hp
Old 11-01-2022, 06:36 PM   #11
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_d_240sx View Post
I run a GTX2863 w/ .64 AR hotside, stock mani/engine, nismotronic w/ 740cc right around 20psi. It has a great midrange pull, but I think the .64 is choking it out a little on the top end. 'Tuned' by me, no dyno.

It's plenty for me with a stock engine and S13 as a daily, but I do wonder how a GTX2867 with a larger AR hotside would have done. Probably pretty wild with some cams, but I'm not sure a stock SR20 would handle that. 2867 is also +$500 vs. the 2863.

good info to know, yea i have an entalpy tune, refreshed SR, stock pistons but new rings,bearings, head has been fully rebuilt new everything, tomei poncams, 750cc injectors,fpr,etc.

I called ATP they said the 2863 is newer tech compared to the 71 or 67. does the 64 feel restricted ? Granted i want more lower/mid range anyway so i think a .64 should be fine.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:39 PM   #12
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
You absolutely cannot beat the GTX2860 Gen II if you're looking for a direct bolt on turbo that needs the absolute minimum amount of modifications.

Value for dollar will go to the GBC22-350, but more modifications are needed as detailed in brndck's post.

Don't waste your time with an aftermarket bottom mount manifold. If I was going to buy a new manifold again, I'd go top mount, even if I wanted to run a T25-flanged turbo.

You can modify your stock valvecover to work perfectly fine with a normal catch can setup, see this thread:
yea the GBC22-350 looks affordable enough, i figure at this point i deff have to upgrade but how much. kinda leaning towards the 2863, however top mount aesthetically looks better and easier to access if service is needed.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
cgtdream
Zilvia Junkie

cgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond reputecgtdream has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

So im getting back into SR's and 240's and was wondering why you said to basically, skip over the aftermarket bottom mount manifold. Mind elaborating?
Old 11-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by doridoridori View Post
good info to know, yea i have an entalpy tune, refreshed SR, stock pistons but new rings,bearings, head has been fully rebuilt new everything, tomei poncams, 750cc injectors,fpr,etc.

I called ATP they said the 2863 is newer tech compared to the 71 or 67. does the 64 feel restricted ? Granted i want more lower/mid range anyway so i think a .64 should be fine.
I can't say with any certainty because I've only ran the stock turbo and the 2863. Just 'feels' a little like it falls off at the top, 6250rpm and up, could be tune, could be stock cams/IM/Airflow, could be hotside AR, or a combination. It's definitely a punchy little turbo and I'd love to throw some cams at it and see what it does, probably wake it up a bit more.
A GTX2867 with some cams would rip, but I'm not sure a stock SR20 on pump fuel would like it though..

Maybe someone else can chime in about .64 vs .86 A/R.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_d_240sx View Post
I can't say with any certainty because I've only ran the stock turbo and the 2863. Just 'feels' a little like it falls off at the top, 6250rpm and up, could be tune, could be stock cams/IM/Airflow, could be hotside AR, or a combination. It's definitely a punchy little turbo and I'd love to throw some cams at it and see what it does, probably wake it up a bit more.
A GTX2867 with some cams would rip, but I'm not sure a stock SR20 on pump fuel would like it though..

Maybe someone else can chime in about .64 vs .86 A/R.
I dunno if this applies, but I have ran both GT2871R 64 and 86 trim. There actually is a big difference, but both dynos dip at the end. I was running HKS 264 step 1 with stock intake and stock exhaust manifolds.

The 64 spooks and creates good useable torque around 3400 to 3500 RPM. The .86 doesn't do much still 4200 ish.... But then gain horsepower at the top and peak torque at the top for longer. Granted this is a built motor bottom and top. .86 was like 380whp on a dynodynamics which is similar to a low reading mustang dyno.

It just depends how you drive and what you like to do. I don't drive much on the street cause its Cali and cops pull you over for no reason other than an exhaust so yeah..... I stay to the track and ring it to 7500 rpm....

Else I .64 is plenty.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:59 AM   #16
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Bigger turbine housings on old garretts are dumb. All it does it shift your powercurve right and doesn't net you much more top end. Just buy a better turbo and you won't have to make that compromise.

GTX2860 Gen II on built SR at 23psi on 100octane. If you want a 300-400whp responsive setup, it's either this or a 6258/6758 IMO.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #17
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

appreciate the help/feedback. Made my mind up, going top mount G25-550, figured i'd treat myself to a really nice setup for once haha.

Top mount
G25-550
EWG (38mm)
etc.

i'll report back and let people know how it is if anyone wants to know.

selling the stock bottom mount mani/heat shield and a few other things.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I made over 400rwhp dynojet gt2871 T25 flanged 86a/r with a perfectly flat torque curve on a built sr20 back in the day...

... at like 15:1 air fuel ratio. Because I was an idiot in a rush that day like a decade ago. Running lean off the charts it still made perfect torque and peaked out higher than I thought possible.

It should make over 420rwhp with the fuel in it. I still have it just sitting.... sigh
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #19
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
UMKAYSO, please see my comments on this topic here:
(also OP, congrats on the g25-550, but what top mount manifold are you using that comes in t25?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
UMKAYSO.
(Dyno video on my IG https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl3utWZL...d=YWJhMjlhZTc= )

After working on Jon's car for eleven billion years, finally made it over to autotalent to visit Koji Arai for the evening. Very impressed with the final numbers 275 whp 266 ft lbs.

Initially there was concern, boost kicks in quickly, making a full 1bar by 3500rpm, but was running away to 17.5-18psi, it appears that the stock WG can't keep up, but we were not knocking and had plenty of Inj duty cycle available, so Koji felt safe to do power pulls.

So far the only other person I know running this turbo had the exact same issue (mark/krustycoupe). They switched to external gate and it is resolved.
(Thank you again mark for the info and advice!)

Overall i'm very impressed with the turbo, great response, this is gonna be a ripper, even on shitty CA 91octane. A 275whp s13 is a very fun street car. Initially Jon brought his car to me since "his mechanic" told him the cause of his black smoke out the tailpipe was low compression, i checked it and it was 165-170 across the board. His stock t25 was pissing oil and the wheel had hella play tho. He was obv very relieved the engine wasn't the culprit, but he didn't want to go all out with something crazy, wanted to stay relatively simple. T28 options were discussed, and i pointed him in the direction of this turbo. I was hoping it would be an easier install, but as i mentioned before, having to clock it, dealing with oil line fitting issues, making the ISR fmic piping match up, all very time consuming stuff compared to how easy a s14/15 turbo bolts in with a clocking kit. Once we settled on that turbo, it was a whole lot of "well if im doing this, i should do that at the same time", and so we ended up with new injectors, a fmic, power FC, r35 maf, etc. IMO its a great reliable combo for a car that will be 95% street car, 5% drift car.

We will revisit later on once a Apexi head gasket and some head studs, and an external WG and boost controller (and prob some pon cams) are installed. There is def more power to be made in the upper rpm range (and across the board) but I'm impressed with how much power was made with such a basic setup. Parts list below.

Parts:
Unopened s13 redtop sr20det
Apexi Power FC
Garrett GBC22-350 w/1bar WG spring
Brand new Nismo 740cc injectors
ISR FMIC
HKS SSQV BOV
Apexi intake pipe and filter, and maf adaptor pipe
R35 maf
Walbro 255 fuel pump
isr turbo elbow and down pipe
3" exhaust

Pink line is boost.
Yellow is TQ
Blue is HP
Other line is AFR

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #20
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I made over 400rwhp dynojet gt2871 T25 flanged 86a/r with a perfectly flat torque curve on a built sr20 back in the day...

... at like 15:1 air fuel ratio. Because I was an idiot in a rush that day like a decade ago. Running lean off the charts it still made perfect torque and peaked out higher than I thought possible.

It should make over 420rwhp with the fuel in it. I still have it just sitting.... sigh
sheesh that's lean lean lol but i bet that thing ripped!

2871 is ol' reliable, great turbo for sure
Old 12-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #21
90_S13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
90_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
S15 t28 under $800 and should get you close to the 300 mark.
90_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:49 AM   #22
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
i have a brand new universal GT2860 in box that i need to get rid of... will do around 350hp if youre interested. will require some ingenuity to have installed, but is a great upgrade from an S15 turbo.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90_S13 View Post
S15 t28 under $800 and should get you close to the 300 mark.
that's basically what i had that went out, was nice while it lasted haha.
oil seals were toast.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #24
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i have a brand new universal GT2860 in box that i need to get rid of... will do around 350hp if youre interested. will require some ingenuity to have installed, but is a great upgrade from an S15 turbo.
kinda set on the G25 but what flange and price?
Old 12-18-2022, 12:47 AM   #25
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by doridoridori View Post
kinda set on the G25 but what flange and price?
i bought it for $1300... want it gone. $900 shipped sound fair? i literally took it out of the box for 2 photos and put it back in the box. has been sitting in my storage room here at home ever since. and its a .84 trim i believe. GT25 series is actually smaller than S15 turbo.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:21 PM   #26
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i bought it for $1300... want it gone. $900 shipped sound fair? i literally took it out of the box for 2 photos and put it back in the box. has been sitting in my storage room here at home ever since. and its a .84 trim i believe. GT25 series is actually smaller than S15 turbo.
that is a fair price tbh don't think i'll use it but i appreciate the offer!

the manifold im having made is already Vband for turbo and EWG so this won't work unfortuately but i appreciate it!