Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Interest in SR exhaust manifold? ~$350-450 targeted pricing

I know the SR engine boat has come and gone, but is there any interest in a decent quality exhaust manifold still on the market?

Basically the DMAX exhaust manifold (sourced from the factory, not from DMAX):
https://www.dmax-cs.com/products/detail/589

Would target around a $350-450 sell price, but I would need to buy 200pcs to make it work.

If the welds and design looks familiar, it's because this is from the same factory that manufactures all the Tomei (Japan and USA versions) exhaust manifolds that they sell. Tomei has outsourced this to Taiwan since about 15 years ago and the only thing that is made in-house in Japan are camshafts and other engine rotating assemblies as those are typically machined in-house. Tomei USA basically doesn't make anything and is a marketing/logistics company outsourcing to Japan/Taiwan/China.

Not even sure if there's 200 SR20DET owners out there willing to change their exhaust manifolds... haha

Anyhow, feedback appreciated.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
So this is a new manifold design you are proposing for manufacture, or is it something you have an in on that are already being made and you're trying to throw your hat into the ring for a few dollars?
Edit: so its basically the DMax manifold, or it is the DMax manifold without brand markup?

Either way, I am in the market for a manifold and am interested if I can get a clip of what a car sounds like using it and it sounds sweet.

Last edited by Thursday7; 09-10-2021 at 11:39 AM..
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
That's a great price for that piece, seeing as they go from 650-750 from D-max. If I didn't already have a manifold, I'd be super interested
Old 09-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm interested. Since I'm lazy, can you provide any links to any interesting threads?
Curious to see power gains just by changing the manifold or with minor supporting mods.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
they address the weld cracks from the other tubular manifolds?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
So this is a new manifold design you are proposing for manufacture, or is it something you have an in on that are already being made and you're trying to throw your hat into the ring for a few dollars?
Edit: so its basically the DMax manifold, or it is the DMax manifold without brand markup?

Either way, I am in the market for a manifold and am interested if I can get a clip of what a car sounds like using it and it sounds sweet.
Won't be able to get sound clips, the DMAX S15 probably runs this setup.

It won't be 100% the same as the DMAX manifold but all I will say is that it is the same factory, same jig, same materials, except generic boxing.

Not a new design, just something that is already made and the factory is willing to sell as a generic white label product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I'm interested. Since I'm lazy, can you provide any links to any interesting threads?
Curious to see power gains just by changing the manifold or with minor supporting mods.
Not really, but the same factory makes both Tomei manifolds (for FRS/BRZ/86) as well as the "generic" version:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81839

I'm mostly trying to see if there's enough interest for me to even try. It's a $50k+ commitment for me for 200 pcs, and I am almost better off buying $50k of Bitcoin and waiting out the current uncertainty than buying this product.

But we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
Not sure what other manifolds you refer to but they offer a 1 year warranty against defects, so the same warranty I will extend to everyone else.

Or I can charge $1500 each and offer a lifetime warranty and replace it out of pocket. Something like that.

[email protected]
Old 09-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Other than the bling aspect, there really isn’t any reason to upgrade the factory manifold. If you’re shooting for over 450-500whp you’re going top mount anyway.

I’m all for keep things on the market, but at 200pcs, you’ll have something sitting on the shelf for years.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
speedgod^s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
speedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond reputespeedgod^s13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedgod^s13
I don't think this will get much traction these days. Most people are going to go top mount if they are running their SR still, and the rest are running LS motors. I don't see anywhere close to 200 orders for this, unfortunately.
speedgod^s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #9
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Other than the bling aspect, there really isn?t any reason to upgrade the factory manifold. If you?re shooting for over 450-500whp you?re going top mount anyway.

I?m all for keep things on the market, but at 200pcs, you?ll have something sitting on the shelf for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgod^s13 View Post
I don't think this will get much traction these days. Most people are going to go top mount if they are running their SR still, and the rest are running LS motors. I don't see anywhere close to 200 orders for this, unfortunately.
Fully aware, just seeing what the interest is.

This is the same thing as the guy that is producing brand new S13 Silvia non-projector housings on Facebook out of injection molding, apparently he needs 600 orders to start production.

The first 300 will be easy. Finding another 300 owners willing to shell out money for headlights will be incredibly difficult, no matter how badly people want brick headlights.

[email protected]
Old 09-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
F
The first 300 will be easy. Finding another 300 owners willing to shell out money for headlights will be incredibly difficult, no matter how badly people want brick headlights.
zactly. I will be order #599.
Not gonna send him a chunk of cash and let it sit there for a year or two, HOPING that he can gather enough interest.

already spent enough $ on "waffles" that never took place and they kept the $$$$ *coughnikolaystransporterands13cough*

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #11
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
are the runners double welded (meaning inside and out) at the heads flange? it looks like they are at the turbo flange.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #12
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
are the runners double welded (meaning inside and out) at the heads flange? it looks like they are at the turbo flange.
It?s called back purging.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
It?s called back purging.
back purging (filling the internal cavity of the manifold with inert gas, usually argon) is not the same as what he's asking.

some mfrs will weld the inside of the flange areas as well, not just weld beads around the outside.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #14
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
here's a picture of the Tomei exhaust manifold for reference. It's made by the same manufacturer.

From what I recall I don't think it is.

[email protected]
Old 09-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
already spent enough $ on "waffles" that never took place and they kept the $$$$ *coughnikolaystransporterands13cough*

Don't get me started on raffles on Facebook... apparently everyone is up in arms about people's free speech being censored by the Zuckerberg bots but no one cares that Facebook isn't policing raffles (which are ILLEGAL in every state in the US because it can only be run by the government)..

[email protected]
Old 09-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #16
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
not sure id go for it without internal welds. ive already seen the difference between $200 megan header versus $1000 AutoEXE header in my Protege5 and how prone things are to cracking at joints without internal and external welds on the runners (or dual flange plates at the head flange to lock the runners in place, along with welding)

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
back purging (filling the internal cavity of the manifold with inert gas, usually argon) is not the same as what he's asking.

some mfrs will weld the inside of the flange areas as well, not just weld beads around the outside.
I?m aware of what back purging is. Back purging and having enough heat penetration creates what appears to be a weld on the inside. If you do not back purge, you end up with sugary welds and blobs on the inside of the piece you?re welding on. There is no physical way to get your Tig torch into the inside of a piece of pipe and weld it, let alone blindly.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #18
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
not sure id go for it without internal welds. ive already seen the difference between $200 megan header versus $1000 AutoEXE header in my Protege5 and how prone things are to cracking at joints without internal and external welds on the runners (or dual flange plates at the head flange to lock the runners in place, along with welding)
I fully understand the concern, I wouldn't care either but this factory has been doing nothing but welding for 20+ years for a variety of big brands in Japan.

I actually saw them back in ~2017 when I was with FRSport. Mostly seeing if there's enough interest in bringing something to the market, but it ultimately may be easier just to point people to buy the DMAX version at a higher price point.

[email protected]
Old 09-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Other than the bling aspect, there really isn?t any reason to upgrade the factory manifold. If you?re shooting for over 450-500whp you?re going top mount anyway.

I?m all for keep things on the market, but at 200pcs, you?ll have something sitting on the shelf for years.
There is power to be had with a tubular manifold, despite what most of the s-chassis dudes will tell you haha. Also, the SOUND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
Most of the OG manifolds don't crack unless you don't have a flex section and don't have a properly supported exhaust. It's the Chinese knockoffs that are unreliable.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #20
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
If you need the last few to get on board, I'd toss some money to get one even though I don't have an SR. If I have a manifold, I have a reason to find and build one.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #21
slow_sr20
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
slow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant futureslow_sr20 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I would be interested. I like ran “ssac” for years with a flex pipe and never had problems. The car wasn’t a daily driver though either.
slow_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote