Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #1801
jubee
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbs_ft View Post
Wow awsome answer you must not know your self.
jubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #1802
garagespec
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
garagespec is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
that rear setup on the white gti or whatever it is looks so sick. But it is kinda pointless and dangerous. I have a show car that I have a 215/40/18 over a 10.5 in the rear. But I never drive it haha (#Imscared)
garagespec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #1803
lbs_ft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (14)
lbs_ft is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubee View Post
Wow awsome answer you must not know your self.
Fuck man, does your computer not have spell-check or something?

I would love to do my best to answer your question, albeit I can't understand it.
lbs_ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #1804
lbs_ft
Zilvia Member

I might as well contribute.

205/45/16's on a 10 inch wide wheel.

Oh, and daily driven.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #1805
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubee View Post
what is the point of stretching tires like that, if it even save to drive like that?
are you really trying to understand why people stretch tires...or are you wanting to be called a troll?
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1806
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
The Dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
It looks dope. All the kids love it. I have to wash my car cause of all the girl panties that get thrown on my car...it kinda sucks cause my windshield wipers are for water and not undies. but I can't complain...the wife hates it.

really bro....cause lifted 2wd trucks are fucking sweet.
Like I said before; do whatever you want to with your own car, as I don't give a shit.
Who said anything about lifted trucks?
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #1807
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Like I said before; do whatever you want to with your own car, as I don't give a shit.
Who said anything about lifted trucks?

Who said you had to benefit from something in order to do it?

Whats the benefit of streching tires?...probably the same as lifting a fucking two wheel drive truck bro....get out of this thread already if you aren't contributing.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #1808
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Who said you had to benefit from something in order to do it?

Whats the benefit of streching tires?...probably the same as lifting a fucking two wheel drive truck bro....get out of this thread already if you aren't contributing.
Fine, here is my contribution: Don't stretch your fucking tires, it is unsafe, stupid, and makes your car handle worse. You're welcome.
Punch yourself in the balls...it makes no sense and doesn't help anything...why not do it?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1809
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Fine, here is my contribution: Don't stretch your fucking tires, it is unsafe, stupid, and makes your car handle worse. You're welcome.
Punch yourself in the balls...it makes no sense and doesn't help anything...why not do it?

it's unsafe: please tell me why
stupid: clearly an observation
makes your car handle worse??!!!! my car came with 205's stock...it definitely handles better than stock with 225 40's.

punch my self in the balls....how about you provide me with real tests about stretching tires and when it becomes compromised.

doesn't help anything? sure.....my stretched 225 now has a larger contact patch, so it actually saves me money drifting vs buying a 245 tire at a more expensive rate....huh.

drift cars have been drifting on streched tires for over 10 years......clearly it's unsafe.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1810
DeleriousZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
DeleriousZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
Why you stretch performance tires??
Mild stretch will pre-stress the sidewalls, giving even more predictable traction to traction loss transition.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #1811
YugEuro

Trader Rating: (0)
YugEuro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagespec View Post
that rear setup on the white gti or whatever it is looks so sick. But it is kinda pointless and dangerous. I have a show car that I have a 215/40/18 over a 10.5 in the rear. But I never drive it haha (#Imscared)
Thanks man. Actually I've been running that setup for about two years now and I haven't had a single issue. I can't say I track my car because I don't but I drive it daily and I've hit potholes and the tires have help up. Clearly there is a increased risk however if your smart about it you shouldn't have issues. I've had worse luck following rules.

YugEuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #1812
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
it's unsafe: please tell me why
stupid: clearly an observation
makes your car handle worse??!!!! my car came with 205's stock...it definitely handles better than stock with 225 40's.

punch my self in the balls....how about you provide me with real tests about stretching tires and when it becomes compromised.

doesn't help anything? sure.....my stretched 225 now has a larger contact patch, so it actually saves me money drifting vs buying a 245 tire at a more expensive rate....huh.

drift cars have been drifting on streched tires for over 10 years......clearly it's unsafe.
I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but the manufacturers have a specified tire size for rim width for a reason. You're stretching the sidewall and deforming it in a manner they haven't been designed for. If you underinflate your tires you can break the bead, but how do you know what the correct tire pressure is for an "extreme" stretched tire? How do you account for tensile stress on the sidewall? I don't need to provide you with "real tests" because the manufacturer tests their own tires and tells you the proper size range for your wheel.

Do I think that most people are going to blow out their tires when they are stretched? No, but since most people here stretch tires because it "looks dope" I can only assume they have no idea what they're doing and probably just say "that'll do" for their tire pressure.

Are you saying that by stretching your sidewall you are increasing your contact patch? Not sure I understand your logic if that's the case...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1813
SmokeCircle
Zilvia Junkie

SmokeCircle is an unknown quantity at this point
The Racing and High-Performance Tire, Using the tire to Tune for Grip and Balance, Paul Haney, 2003, co-published by SAE and TV Motorsports
pp.99-101

Selected quotes from an interview with Jim Hall and Brian Redman. Racers from the '50s and '60s:

Jim: “We had started runnin' skid-pad tests, just going round and round on the skid pad. We got good at it and we found out we could balance the car this way. It was a little bit more technical than we could figure out. It would go up to 0.98 Gs one way and only 0.92 Gs the other way. So Firestone told us their tire was built to run on a 7-inch wide rim. I had built some modular wheels and we could vary the width by what mid-sections parts we used. We'd run the tires they gave us on a 7-inch rim and maybe an 8 and a 9 too. The wider rims made the sidewalls stiffer and instead of running a 0.95 average G you'd run a 0.99. So of course we put them on 9-inch rims. Well, we'd go to the next race and the Firestone guys would look and them and say, "We didn't design those tires to run on a 9-inch rim. We better build a new tire.‟ They'd add an inch to the tread. They'd do them quickly too. They can build prototype tires in a hurry. In a couple of weeks they'd have another tire. And we'd run on a 9-inch rim and a 10 and maybe an 11. And we'd find it was better on a wider rim, so it would happen all over again. In a matter of less than a year we went from those narrow little Dunlop Green Spots to a tire that was almost double the width. So that's what happened with me on tires. In the middle '60's, probably '64 or '65, Firestone took us from less than 6 inches of tread width up to 12 inches.”

Paul: “Just because you kept skidpad testing them on wider rims?”

Jim: “Right.”

Brian: “Speed on the skidpad is speed around the racetrack”

Jim: “Cornering speed is the key to everything. You can have more horsepower but you got to stop it at the other end. But if you can leave the corner just that much faster, you carry that speed all around the racetrack. The whole thing is cornering speed, basically.”
SmokeCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #1814
mikeys13
Leaky Injector

mikeys13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats very interetesting, I guess that's some what a way of saying theyre fine.
mikeys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #1815
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia? View Post
The Racing and High-Performance Tire, Using the tire to Tune for Grip and Balance, Paul Haney, 2003, co-published by SAE and TV Motorsports
pp.99-101

Selected quotes from an interview with Jim Hall and Brian Redman. Racers from the '50s and '60s:
It's 2012. We have low profile tires with stiff sidewalls now. You no longer need to stretch your white-walls to go fast at the track.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #1816
lbs_ft
Zilvia Member

Quote:
It's 2012. We have low profile tires with stiff sidewalls now. You no longer need to stretch your white-walls to go fast at the track.
No you don't, which is why fckillerbee so elegantly explained why we do it.

It looks good and all the ladies love it - case in point.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #1817
Redstar
Zilvia Member

Redstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty good stretch. 235/40/18 Falken FK452s on an 18x10.5.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1818
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It looks dope. All the kids love it. I have to wash my car cause of all the girl panties that get thrown on my car...it kinda sucks cause my windshield wipers are for water and not undies. but I can't complain...the wife hates it.

really bro....cause lifted 2wd trucks are fucking sweet.
This quote definitely tickled my sack hahahahahaha and made my day
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #1819
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but the manufacturers have a specified tire size for rim width for a reason. You're stretching the sidewall and deforming it in a manner they haven't been designed for. If you underinflate your tires you can break the bead, but how do you know what the correct tire pressure is for an "extreme" stretched tire? How do you account for tensile stress on the sidewall? I don't need to provide you with "real tests" because the manufacturer tests their own tires and tells you the proper size range for your wheel.

Do I think that most people are going to blow out their tires when they are stretched? No, but since most people here stretch tires because it "looks dope" I can only assume they have no idea what they're doing and probably just say "that'll do" for their tire pressure.

Are you saying that by stretching your sidewall you are increasing your contact patch? Not sure I understand your logic if that's the case...

"Wider wheels will give you a more rectangular patch, while thinner wheels will give you a narrow yet longer more square patch. The thinner wheels will therefore be better (and of course there are extremes in both cases) for straight line acceleration and braking. The wider ones, because of the direction of the forces on the tire tread in the corners, will be better for cornering at the expense of some straight line acceleration. Unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple for say road racing as whatever gains you get in cornering, you’ll probably give up in the ability to get back on the throttle early. Something you would need to test and tune for sure, no guaranteed rule of thumb there."

Wheel Tech, Part II: Width Matters | Tuner University

my car is designed for drifting...so cornering grip is all that matters for the rear tires. goes from a square patch...to a rectangular patch (better for lateral g's).

ahh thank you.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #1820
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

So why not get more narrow wheels and proper sized tires (other than liking the way it looks better)?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #1821
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

dub40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I just had the biggest rant but deleted it all. I don't even want to think about this shit any more. Everyone that questions/against streched tires. Get the fuck out and go drive your god damn racecar off a cliff.
dub40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #1822
The Dude
Zilvia Junkie

I didn't realize a public forum wasn't the place to state opinions. I'll leave you all to talking about your popped collars, dubstep, skinny jeans, and stretched tires.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #1823
silviaguy240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
silviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfectionsilviaguy240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Why be a stubborn asshole and come into a tire stretch thread and complain about it? There is theory behind stretching tires, yes obviously super extreme stretches dont help, but if its not what your into stay out.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #1824
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
So why not get more narrow wheels and proper sized tires (other than liking the way it looks better)?
because i dont stretch tires out of performance, its just for looks. But you came in here saying it was sooooo dangerous....and well...I work at tire company, dealing with high end performance and custom modified vehicles...and it's not dangerous, but just like a knife, in the wrong hands, an idiot can hurt them self.

Keep your tire pressure above 40 psi. In cold weather, tires drop air pressure, and thats where people see problems when they don't pay attention. My s14 was on the floor...literally...daily drove it that way for a year before selling her. If you are smart...just like anything, you'll be fine. Stupid, ignorant, simple minded people are the ones complaining about cracked rims, and their stretched tires de-beading, and how "un safe" it is.

but like anything...there are limits.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #1825
93_ProjectS13
Zilvia Member

93_ProjectS13 is on a distinguished road
205/40/17 on a 17x9.5 / Happened when I left work.as going around 50ish nothing bad happened just pulled over lol.
93_ProjectS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #1826
Te37
Zilvia Addict

Te37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choicesTe37 has made poor choices
Ouch!...what tire brand, style?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #1827
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_ProjectS13 View Post
205/40/17 on a 17x9.5 / Happened when I left work.as going around 50ish nothing bad happened just pulled over lol.
[IMG]
Fake wheels... check.
Stupid tire stretch... check.
Lame signature quote... check.

Having your tire pop off driving down the road putting your life and the lives of others in danger... priceless, for everything else there's DerpaCard.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #1828
93_ProjectS13
Zilvia Member

93_ProjectS13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te37 View Post
Ouch!...what tire brand, style?
There Nitto NeoGens. When it happened it just felt like a tire with low air lmao. The car didnt jerk or make any aggresive noises of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Fake wheels... check.
Stupid tire stretch... check.
Lame signature quote... check.

Having your tire pop off driving down the road putting your life and the lives of others in danger... priceless, for everything else there's DerpaCard.
I actually work in the aftermarket. And ive seen way more unsafe unroad worthy things then a streched tire. Once A tire beds its very hard for it to break bead. My tiring breaking bead is no different then a tire blowing at the same speed. Actually its probally safer.

But thanks for pointing out things like my wheels and my sig. Which made your post even more useless.
93_ProjectS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #1829
Beejis60
BANNED

Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbs_ft View Post
No you don't, which is why fckillerbee so elegantly explained why we do it.

It looks good and all the ladies love it - case in point.
Do you actually race your car though? If not, then why run what people on the track do? Do you have a cage in your DD as well?

Stretched tires can cause separation of the sidewall to tread interface, most notably when the tire pressure drops. However, the stiffer sidewall comment is somewhat correct... obviously the less sidewall flex, the better the cornering, but I think all of you in here do not push the limits of your tires such that you have to worry about flex. Mostly nowadays, you guys do this for looks and e-nut riders.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1830
Lukasss
Nissanaholic!

Lukasss is an unknown quantity at this point
I guarantee the people in this thread being whiney bitches have never had stretched tires on their vehicle in their life. If not, this thread does not apply to you, and you aren't convincing anyone that runs stretched tires to stop. So kindly shut up.

You sound like a kid complaining to his mom how much he hates broccoli, but hasn't ever tried it.

Last edited by Lukasss; 06-18-2012 at 05:33 PM..
Lukasss is offline   Reply With Quote