Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
gss0023

Trader Rating: (0)
gss0023 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Steering knuckle is hitting turbo oil hose

I did an SR20 (blacktop) swap into my 91 240sx and I realized that the turbo oil return hose (I think thats what it is) is rubbing up against the steering knuckle. I was wondering if someone has dealt with this and has a good method of fixing this issue.

Thanks for any help
gss0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Sound like an aftermarket drain outlet or an incorrect outlet. There should be more than enough space to fit your hand in between the two.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
You're drunk, go finish bleeding your brakes.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #4
gss0023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
You're drunk, go finish bleeding your brakes.
Thats kind of a stupid thing to say, but don't worry when I did my z32 big brake upgrade I bled my brakes. Thanks for no help!
Old 07-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #5
gss0023

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n' burn View Post
Sound like an aftermarket drain outlet or an incorrect outlet. There should be more than enough space to fit your hand in between the two.
I do think it has an aftermarket manifold, and there is some JDM engineering on the motor so you might be on to something.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
which blacktop do you have s13 or s14 there is slighty different geomptry between the 2 motors in that area and there are different part numbers for the oil drain off the turbo between the engines as well.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Just checked mine to see (aftermarket manifold, much larger turbine & outlet)... PLENTY of distance between the oil return & steering knuckle, at least the distance between my palm & the top of my hand.

What kind of engine mounts did you go with?

Can you post pics?
Old 07-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gss0023 View Post
Thats kind of a stupid thing to say, but don't worry when I did my z32 big brake upgrade I bled my brakes. Thanks for no help!
You obviously know all about saying stupid things...

My point was that if your turbo anything is anywhere near your steering knuckle (not like, the parts between the two?) you're doing something wrong, it's not something you should have to ask about, if you're competent enough to have such a problem you should be competent enough to fix it without asking such a vague, dumb question.

Put your turbo and it's oil return somewhere that's not in the way of your steering knuckle, that should sort everything out.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #9
gss0023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
You obviously know all about saying stupid things...

My point was that if your turbo anything is anywhere near your steering knuckle (not like, the parts between the two?) you're doing something wrong, it's not something you should have to ask about, if you're competent enough to have such a problem you should be competent enough to fix it without asking such a vague, dumb question.

Put your turbo and it's oil return somewhere that's not in the way of your steering knuckle, that should sort everything out.
Ahh shoot you are right. I should've known when I bought this motor that there would've been this clearance issue that I should've solved before it was dropped in. How stupid of me!

I'm not and idiot. I know that to fix the issue I have to move the oil return line, but I was asking if someone has done this before and has a method they found the easiest.

You show your ignorance in your responses through trying to compensate for it by putting (and probably others) me down for asking a question. I will not be replying to you any further, so do not waste your time with a response.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:38 AM   #10
gss0023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Just checked mine to see (aftermarket manifold, much larger turbine & outlet)... PLENTY of distance between the oil return & steering knuckle, at least the distance between my palm & the top of my hand.

What kind of engine mounts did you go with?

Can you post pics?
I went with the NISMO mounts, and I will try to take a photo when I get the chance.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
the issue here is, YOU are not providing US the relevant information.

if you have:
-custom exhaust manifold
-non-stock turbo
-non-stock turbo mounting location
-aftermarket turbo drain

the issue lies somewhere in there.

STOCK sr20 components WILL NOT cause interference with the steering column, so. . . . . .

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #12
gss0023

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
the issue here is, YOU are not providing US the relevant information.

if you have:
-custom exhaust manifold
-non-stock turbo
-non-stock turbo mounting location
-aftermarket turbo drain

the issue lies somewhere in there.

STOCK sr20 components WILL NOT cause interference with the steering column, so. . . . . .
Yeah you are right sorry. I thought maybe this was a more common issue and I could get away with being vague.

When I bought the motor from JDM Engine Depot the listing didn't have much information about it, but it said that it has an aftermarket manifold (not sure which one). As far as I know the rest is stock.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
got pics of the manifold?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Definitely not stock turbo location.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #15
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
A pic from a little further out (include manifold etc) might be helpful. Unless I’m looking at it wrong, it looks like the oil drain is not coming out at the correct angle. This would be a non-issue on a JDM car because there’s no steering knuckle in the way.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #16
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Here is how I solved that issue when my drain tube was very close to the steering shaft.
I bought this part. https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...RoCfkcQAvD_BwE
Its advertised as being the correct direction but it wasn't. So i cut off the part of the metal drain tube where is starts to turn hard. So that way you are left with a fairly straight out the bottom drain tube. Then just got some rubber hose and a 45 degree metal elbow and made a homemade drain tube for $10. Gives you lots of clearance and easy to replace. Just make sure you heat wrap the rubber hose. I will add pics later so u can see what i mean.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If this is a daily driver I would go back to an OEM manifold and use a high quality garret turbocharger in the stock location using OEM style drain hose, clamps.

Get new gaskets & hardware. Clean everything spotless especially where the gaskets sit. Prep the surfaces properly and use that new high quality high temp hardware to bolt everything down.

Then, use a proper downpipe support brace to the transmission mount like OEM uses. The downpipe MUST be braced to the chassis or trans mount or something like that or it will vibrate and ruin the turbo gaskets/hardware and everything will come loose or break.

Another route is top-mount. Although top mount is IDEAL it is for experienced users only. But if you have the $$ for a power FC, 1000CC injectors, top mount manifold & a new borg warner turbo and fabrication skills/funds to make the correct downpipe and all that it would be superior to anything bottom mount related.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote