Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > For Sale Items > Cars For Sale

Old 12-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
uiuc240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to uiuc240
SR FS: 1989 Coupe w/ SR20DET...Chicagoland

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to sell it. I like the car, but it's just not what I need right now. Most of my driving is to and from work and to and from my girlfriend's house in the city. I need something that is more practical and has more space for stuff.

Let me give you a few details. The chassis has about 116k on it, and the SR has been in there for the last 20k. Here is a basic list of the parts I have on it and the approximate price I paid:

full Whiteline suspension (Konis and Whiteline parts incl. bushings) ($1100)
26mm Z brakes w/ drilled rotors, KVR pads and SS lines (~$600)
B&M shifter ($250)
N1 dual ($500)
SR20DET w/stock sidemount ($3000 installed), ACT clutch ($300), Blitz DD BOV ($100), Koyo rad ($325), F-A-L fans ($225), Greddy 3" DP ($150), Catco 3" cat ($150), Autometer boost and water gauges ($100)
91 DOHC tach in digital cluster ($75)
back seat removed and carpeted ($5...hahaha)
Blaupunkt stereo with MD player and CD changer and really good cables ($550)
Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers w/ 12" JL Audio sub ($250...w/ homemade box that kicks ass)
Alpine 4-channel amp ($300)
91 Alloys w/ Blizzaks ($200 for the wheels, and the tires are on their last season, so....free for you...hahaha)
17" wheels painted black with 225/45-17 Kumho Ecsta MX - new in May 2003 (~$1000 when new)

As you can see, I've got a little over $9000 into the car. Plus, there's an extra SUPER NICE T28 Ball Bearing turbo sitting in a box in my living room...just needs to get put in. I paid $525 for that too.

Now, the car is not in 100% perfect shape, but it's pretty good. The dents and dings were almost all there before I got it from my Aunt in 1999 (she was the original owner in 1989). The paint still shines, and I haven't found any real rust (except for the obvious stuff on suspension parts that everyone has). But because of the body, I know I can't ask a ton for the car. I would say if the car was stock, I could get about $2k for it though.

Three other things:

1. There is a suspension clunk that I believe to be caused by the upper front strut mounts.

2. There is a creaking sound when braking...I *think* this may just be the poly bushings telling me they need lube :-)

3. The idle is lumpy at times...I think this may actually be from one injector that's not quite right?! I haven't had the time/money to test this out. The car runs fine, but idle isn't as smooth as I would like and sometimes it's rough when it's cold out.

Having said all that, I think $6k would be a pretty damn fair price for the car. With that, you'd get all my tires and wheels and stuff. For $6500, I'll leave the stereo in it. And for $7k, I'll even give you the turbo and the extra exhaust manifold I have (for porting and polishing and ceramic coating before install).

Let me know if this is possible...or if you have a reasonable counter-offer. Please don't lowball me. I'm not itching to sell, so I'm not going to entertain offers like "Dude, I'm broke, but I can get a loan for $3500...will you sell for $3500?" The answer will be no.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you. If you want to call me and talk about it (or setup a time to see the car), PM me for a phone number

Eric

p.s. Here is a photo album of the car at various points:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...a=30160867&f=0

Last edited by uiuc240; 12-10-2003 at 12:00 AM..
uiuc240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
benzz280
Leaky Injector

benzz280 is an unknown quantity at this point
your car looks real nice. how much will it cost to get the problems fixed? Do you have time to get an estimate? also, will it pass smog? i am asking this cos i think i have to smog it when i register it here in WI.
benzz280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
benzz280
Leaky Injector

by the way, who did the SR swap?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

The swap was done in 2001 by Alan Obermiller (he now lives in St. Louis). I have done ALL the other work on the car. I went through him because he had a garage at the time, and was able to accept deliver of the engine set.

The suspension clunk could be cheap to fix. Maybe just strut mounts. It could need other parts. I don't know exactly.

The creaks could be easy to fix too...maybe just lube. Or it could be that the brakes need rebuilding. I don't know exactly.

Lumpy idle? I dunno. Cheap if you can figure out a simple fix.

The dents will cost more to massage out. I wouldn't touch them unless you plan on making the car super straight and pretty and then maybe shooting a new color on it. The dents might be like $1000 do to right, though. Again...not sure...

I realize the car is not perfect, but this is a helluva lot nicer than most 89 coupes I've seen. And the fact that it comes with a RELIABLE motor setup (it has never failed to start and run and whatnot). I've got almost 20k on this motor. There are no oiling problems, or any of that. It's as reliable as a stock 240 with a KA.

You may scoff at the price, but I challenge you to build a car this nice for that kind of money. It's not possible. People that talk about getting a $500 240 and plopping a cheap SR in it don't know what they're talking about. Plus, $500 240s are RAGGED. I've seen them. They have like 200k on the chassis, rust everywhere, and a just generally fried.

Anyway, if you're still interested, let me know. I'm either getting the price I want (give or take a few bones), or I'm not selling

Eric
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
benzz280
Leaky Injector

chill yo, i am just asking typical questions any buyer would ask concerning the problem areas. if you are very keen in getting the price you ask, then maybe you should mention "FIRM" or "NO DISCOUNT"
I never attacked your price
in case you havent noticed, there are alot of nice SR 240s for sale for less money and not as much problems as yours. i am interested in yours cos you are nearer to me, thats all

Last edited by benzz280; 12-11-2003 at 01:22 PM..
Old 12-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

I didn't mean to come across like that. Sorry about that.

The price *is* negotiable...but within reason. I'm not going to let the car go for cheap or something. I am only selling because I would like to pay off some debts and get a more practical car.

I tried to do my homework on the pricing. If you have some links to these cars that have comparable equipment, please let me know. I'm not trying to say that my car is the shizzle or something and therefore it demands tons of money. I would have to say, though, for a 15-year-old car with good power/breaks/handling, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Want to know the main reason I'm selling it?

I want to finish the project, but that means putting like another $2k into it. I want to plop the T28 in there, but at the same time, I want to add an FMIC, 550cc injectors, S-AFC, Z32 MAF, boost controller, etc. I will also be fixing the other minor things too. The body will be left alone for now.

But as you can see, this is $2k that I don't have and probably won't have for a while. So, rather than see the car just remain at its current state of tune, I'd rather see someone get their hands on it that can give it the attention it wants.

Oh, I forgot one thing....SMOG. I have no idea. It would probably pass a sniffer test, but I can't be sure. It's not stinky, though. The 3" cat works great.

Eric
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #7
lbcklik1486
Zilvia Junkie

lbcklik1486 is an unknown quantity at this point
This should probably be a pm, but what did you/are you majoring in in UIUC, engineering?
Old 12-12-2003, 08:05 AM   #8
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

Architecture... I have my Bachelor's (2001) and Master's of Architecture (2003). Do you go to school there?

So, what about my car? Any buyers?

Eric