Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
enasnIRacing

Trader Rating: (0)
enasnIRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Setup for drifting

What kinda suspension, brake, and wheels/tires setup would a 91 240 fastback need for drifting? I'm looking to learn to drift and need to know what my car will need.
enasnIRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
ok

drifting is NOT ABOUT THE CAR
its about the driver

so YOU have to learn without using the car as a crutch

i can give you a 20,000 dollar drift car and you would still drif tlike SH*T

its not about the car, its about the driver. LEARN to drift stock
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
I agree with Dousan, but this doesn't really belong in motorsports..
Old 03-28-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
enasnIRacing

thanks for the input, i apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I have been practicing with my car stock, I just don't want to reck my car because I've been told that it's just gonna burn up my brakes and tires, and I was just wondering if I could expect to ruin my suspension or anything.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally posted by enasnIRacing
thanks for the input, i apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I have been practicing with my car stock, I just don't want to reck my car because I've been told that it's just gonna burn up my brakes and tires, and I was just wondering if I could expect to ruin my suspension or anything.
ack
i dont think you understand
brakes and tires? you dont brake THAT MUCH drifting. i can see a braking drift or fixing a line but nothing SUPER hard, because you should be downshifting as well setting up lines and such. of course you do use brakes alot and they are very importat but as far as burning them up, if you are burning them up you need a brake upgrade that'll still grip when they aresuper hot.

ruining suspension? drifting you can ruin a full coilover suspension. track racing you can as well.

its abusive on the car.

expect to blow shocks, damage wheels, flat spot tires and hit things if you drift. it goes with the territory.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a side note... I don't think it's really feasible to drift on a STOCK car... you'd need at LEAST an LSD, and maybe even springs or something to drift on dry concrete.
You might be able to drift a stock car in the rain or on a super sandy/dusty road, but stock on asphalt would be hard!

Driftingpanda tried to drift itsybitsy240s stock 240 and man... that just didn't work out. Nothing but understeer! Clutch kick, feint, accel-off... nothing worked!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
enasnIRacing

thanks for the help guys
Old 04-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
jdmrice

jdmrice is an unknown quantity at this point
i would start with a good suspension setup...coilover is the best...if you can't afford one..get a good shock and spring combo

you can cheat as a noob by using good tires (yokohama Es100, Falken Aznis Sport or Falken ST115, Dunlop FM901) up front and use some cheapo junkyard or used tires for the rear...
it's cheating..but it's a good way for u to get used to the side way feeling...try not to depend this setup for too long....u will need to set running same tires up front and back to be your goal..

camber...if you have coilover or have camber plate adjustment...i would suggest you start with -2 camber all the way around..it's a good setting for daily drive and weekend drift... 0 toe front and back...and leave caster setting as stock (you can't adjust it if you don't have the proper suspen pieces anyway) but you can just adjust the camber for now..

get a VLSD...i know it's all Driver...but VLSD will help you...drifing in a open diff just plan pain in the @ss

brakes...don't really need to upgrade them..but since i daily drive my car and i think you do so as well....i think it's safer to upgrade to a z32 front brakes ..if you can't afford bigger brake upgrade..just go with a Metal master pads..

remember...like Aaron said..it's all driver...but with these setup..it will help you...don't depends on the car too much (my case for example...i can't drift any cars..i can only drift in MY car because it's setup for drifing...when i was driving Grant's car at the RS*R practice..i found out it's really hard for me to drift a almost stock car..i need to practice more in a stock car...anyone willing to let me drive their car??)

Richard
jdmrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
808Supra
Zilvia Member

808Supra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 808Supra
hum... you can drift with an open diff.... but as richard said...open diff is a pain in the butt.

start off with some good shocks and springs and work your way up from there.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #10
BoroDori240sx

BoroDori240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Matt, its me Denny. I'm glad I don't have an open diff anymore.
BoroDori240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #11
808Supra
Zilvia Member

808Supra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 808Supra
denny...you and aaron are the people i was thinking about who can drift with an open diff...
Old 06-01-2003, 04:15 AM   #12
AREITU

AREITU is an unknown quantity at this point
When I saw Orido and Hayashida at RS*R Drift Festival, I thought the secret was in their cars.

Then they started drove the amateur drifters' cars, the XS Engineering R34 Skyline GTR, and the Irwindale Mascot-Mobile. And let me tell you...those guys can and will drift ANYTHING.

My belief is that an LSD, at the very very very least, is nesscary.
AREITU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:52 AM   #13
Night Slide Josh

Night Slide Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Night Slide Josh
first mod for drift
sticky fronts
and a good diff..
not the viscous...
Night Slide Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:46 AM   #14
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Night Slide Josh
first mod for drift
sticky fronts
and a good diff..
not the viscous...
nope nope nope
use crap all around. why? because you have consistency. if your fronts are TOO sticky and back are junk you will have less control
diff/ VLSD is great choice. might not be as fast but it does teh job. i know MANY people (including guys who win competitions drifting here in the US) that use VLSD on their cars. VLSD does the job!

its the DRIVER
Old 06-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #15
boro240
Zilvia FREAK!

boro240 is making a name for him/her selfboro240 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally posted by 808Supra
denny...you and aaron are the people i was thinking about who can drift with an open diff...
what about pedro?
boro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 07:29 PM   #16
pinoydrifter
Zilvia Member

pinoydrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
I must agree with dousan here-
It's the driver that makes a good drift. The real drifters (not me) can drift anything! Mabey not as good as they could in my car (j/p) lol, but they can still drift it!
pinoydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 PM   #17
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
All the people that say vlsd's won't work for drifting have obviously never tried it. They work great compared to open! I'm sure not as well as an aftermarket unit. I would completely agree with Aaron, learn stock! I started out on H&R's and an open diff, (i still suck now but i'm not quite as bad as when i started) starting out on an open diff was the best advice i got! Thank you Aaron! Now that i have a vlsd, i can predict what the car is going to do much better than had i learned on a car with a vlsd and gotten dependent on it.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:55 PM   #18
nokeone
on strike three.

nokeone is making a name for him/her selfnokeone is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to nokeone Send a message via MSN to nokeone Send a message via Yahoo to nokeone
Quote:
Originally posted by RBS14
All the people that say vlsd's won't work for drifting have obviously never tried it. They work great compared to open! I'm sure not as well as an aftermarket unit. I would completely agree with Aaron, learn stock! I started out on H&R's and an open diff, (i still suck now but i'm not quite as bad as when i started) starting out on an open diff was the best advice i got! Thank you Aaron! Now that i have a vlsd, i can predict what the car is going to do much better than had i learned on a car with a vlsd and gotten dependent on it.

werd...if you learn the hardest way possible just think how much better you will be when you have the mods that make it easier...

that's the problem these days..kids with money just go out and buy the best possible car and sink all this money into it for mods and such..paying people to build a "drift car" for them..and then they just expect to be able to drift with the best of them..then they complain about this and that and my setup this and it's all just a crock of $hit..

oh damn...i wrecked my $40K car..hmm..lemme go buy another one...

makes me sick..

i suck, i know i suck, but i also know that with practise and diligence i'll consistently get better...i've set reasonable goals...and i will reach them..
Old 06-24-2003, 11:59 PM   #19
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
vlsd is fine.. i drove 240_keyy's car on the drift practice last sunday it it was great!

my decent drift setup:
tein HE, aaron's 2 way LSD , and all season tires for the rears
yes.. thats it.. now all I have to work on is my skill
i'll post a video later..
we are still looking for a fast server to upload the vid

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote