Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
DamnedButDetermined
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
DamnedButDetermined is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shaving rotors to decrease rotation inertia...good idea?

I know during a hardcore racing weekend or an actual sprint race, this would be a bad idea, but what about an autoX

Here is what i am thinking...
lightened flywheel/driveshaft/wheels/ect... will increase the powertrains efficiency, so wouldn't shaving the rotors down to a safe thinner thickness, therefore making them lighter? I know it wouldn't take off much weight (i would estimate maybe a pound off each wheel) but in an extremely competative class wouldn't any advantage help?

Here are my questions...
How much weight will be shaved off, while keeping the rotors at a safe thickness?
Would this adversly effect the cooling potential of the rotors, or would it make them cool faster?
Has anyone seen carbon fiber brake rotors for sale? I know indy cars and some sportcars use them...(i read it in "Drive To Win")
During a ITA sprint race...Do you need to replace the rotors every race, b/c of chemical reasons, or because the rotors get used all the way down to the safe thickness? Oh by chemical reasons, i mean it like with R rated tires...they get to that magical sticky point then even though they still have tread left they just won't grip as much as they did.

-DbD-
DamnedButDetermined is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links