Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
mrfox

Trader Rating: (0)
mrfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prep for driving school

I'm heading to the Buttonwillow driving clinic this weekend (27 July). This will be my first foray onto a real track and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm sure it'll be hellish hot in the central valley this weekend, so I went and changed the oil to 15w50 yesterday just to be safe. Is there anything else I should be doing to prep the vehicle and myself? Any advice'll be apperciated!
mrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #2
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
How are your brakes? What Kind of brake pads do you have?

There is another post around here somewhere that details all the "stuff" you need to take.

#1.. WATER.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
vehicle:
Brake pads and fluid. CRITICAL.

you:
Lots of rest, lots of fluids. Also CRITICAL.

Everything beyond that is optional, but nice to have.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #4
mrfox

My brakes pads are pretty new, changed to Metal Master pads last month.

The cooling system was last flushed in Feb. Coolant looks clean. Should I add water wetter? I heard it needs to be premixed with the coolant, otherwise it might bead out of solution and clog things up... any experiences?

Bring water... water... more water... gotcha! I might be too excited to get the rest I need the night before though!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #5
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Don't worry. If you've got fresh pads, and fresh fluid your fine. You might be looking to upgrade after this first event but you'll be fine for now.

Don't change anything. Download the tech sheet if they have one, and go over it before you leave.

Advice:

Meet your instructor as early as possible. Even before the drivers meeting if you can. Definately before your first session.

The #1 thing you should be concentrating on is Track awareness (i.e. Corner stations, Flags, Passing Rules, Where you are in reference to others, etc.). The line, and technique will come. Make sure your driving safe

Very important to remember: LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR. Do exactly what they say without hesitation. They are your key to having a fun, safe, and productive weekend.

Remain humble. If you think your doing good in a section, ask your instructor what he thinks. Don't just assume you can try to go an extra 2-3 mph faster than last time.

btw - What orginization are you running with?

Last edited by sykikchimp; 07-24-2003 at 02:22 PM..
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Metal Masters.. ehhhh, they'll feel pretty soft by the end of each session on track. You won't have NO brakes but you'll be glad the session's over. Good street pads, though.

High temperature brake fluid is important. Ate, Motul, or Ford HD. I ran standard DOT3 for my first event and I boiled it.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
Quote:
Originally posted by AKADriver
I ran standard DOT3 for my first event and I boiled it.
i know this is a little OT, but ive never really heard what actually happens to different things when it boils, and how do you know its happening?

am i right in assuming that there is a lot of air that gets into the system, i mean look at water when it boils?...i know im a moron, but humor me...lol
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
crioten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
mrfox

For brake fluid, I have some DOT4 synthetic stuff from Kragen (forgot which brand) in the lines. I hope it holds up.

So the Metal Masters aren't worth much on track huh... Guess I'll try the Carbotechs next time (based on other discussions on board)

I'd venture to guess that fluid fade would make your pedal go soft like theres air in the lines, and pad fade would make the brakes feel like they've turned into a hard greasy sausage patty. Referenced from one of Carrol Smith's books.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #9
mrfox

And thanks for the advice sykikchimp. Of course, being a male 23yr old adolescent, I'm sure my ego wouldn't present too much of a problem!

The school is organized by the track itself. http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm

Last edited by mrfox; 07-24-2003 at 06:59 PM..
Old 07-25-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
jmauld
Zilvia Junkie

jmauld is making a name for him/her selfjmauld is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jmauld
Just a few more tips. Your instructor is going to tell you to try new things and things that you will think won't work. For the most part listen to what they say. But, if you get into a situation where you're not comfortable with, tell them! They need to know your comfort level with what they're trying to teach you.

Also, if you ever feel your brakes getting soft (you'll know), tell the instructor. They'll help you adjust your driving to work around the brake fade.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:56 AM   #11
mrfox

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I just got back from the Buttonwillow event, and what a blast it has been. I ended up going out for 6 sessions of 15-20 minutes each. By the end of the day, both my car and I had all the driving we could take for a day!

Braking, as predicted by many of the posters here, was a problem. The pads started to lose some of their bite on the second or third session. They were still usable with increased pedal pressure. But then on the last session the brake fluid faded (good call AKA) and the pedal went completely to the floor! (Does anyone on pit road have a spare pair of pants?)

Another problem was overheating. This is the first time I've ever witnessed the temperature gauge read anything higher than 3 notches up! It didn't become a problem until some run groups got combined and the car didn't get enough cool down time before the next run.

We ran clockwise on the track for the entire day, and by the end, my left front tire was close to complete destruction. I also underestimated fuel usage (got about 8-10 mpg) and so had to buy at the track ($2.79/gal).

All in all, it was a lot of fun, and a wonderful learning experience. I found myself often over eager in the turns and carry too much speed on entry. I learned quickly to calm down after several dramatic sideways excursions. To think, it would just simply be insane to learn such consequences of over driving the car on anything other than on a race track!

WOOT!!

Last edited by mrfox; 07-28-2003 at 01:58 AM..