Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #7711
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjh View Post
Anybody ever gotten stock s13 rear knuckles modified? It would seem like a lot of work to do, but I am curious.
You probably could. For the price probably better off going A/M like GK or PBM.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10+ using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #7712
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I installed GKTech's RCC kit on my S13 recently, went with this kit because of its cost and since I am new to drifting I wasn't trying to go crazy. Full front setup consists of S14 knuckle, S14 LCA, GK RCC, GK Outer tie rods, GK tension rods.

I didn't think much of the extra LCA length and +25mm track width added by the kit, I am running a 17x8 +35 wrapped in a 235/45r17. These pictures are with camber plates maxed out. For anyone considering this kit, high offset, narrow wheels and small tires will be the only way you fit under a stock metal fender. If you are running low offset wheels you will need a wider fender.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #7713
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
So, my car feels awfully darty sometimes while corning (100% street car) For the first little bit of turning the wheel, it seems to not be very responsive, but when I reach a certain point lets say maybe 25* of the wheel turned (out of 360) then it becomes extremely responsive. It almost seems like slight understeer to a point.

For what its worth: BC coils 8/6K springs, GKtech grip front knuckles (stock rear) Subframe risers, Suspension techniques front sway bar (stock rear) and a kaaz 2 way.

Obviously anyone whos driven a kaaz notices that if you let off throttle in a corner the car responds to it for sure, but even on throttle I notice this. I wasnt sure if its because the diff its basically trying to push the car straight to a certain point, or if the stock rear sway bar is effecting this.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #7714
sr vegas 240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
sr vegas 240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
So, my car feels awfully darty sometimes while corning (100% street car) For the first little bit of turning the wheel, it seems to not be very responsive, but when I reach a certain point lets say maybe 25* of the wheel turned (out of 360) then it becomes extremely responsive. It almost seems like slight understeer to a point.

For what its worth: BC coils 8/6K springs, GKtech grip front knuckles (stock rear) Subframe risers, Suspension techniques front sway bar (stock rear) and a kaaz 2 way.

Obviously anyone whos driven a kaaz notices that if you let off throttle in a corner the car responds to it for sure, but even on throttle I notice this. I wasnt sure if its because the diff its basically trying to push the car straight to a certain point, or if the stock rear sway bar is effecting this.

Possibly worn/loose rack and pinion bushings. I'd check those first. If not already replaced i'd get some energy suspension polyurethane bushings.
sr vegas 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #7715
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr vegas 240 View Post
Possibly worn/loose rack and pinion bushings.
Replaced with ES bushings less than 2 years ago.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #7716
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Replaced with ES bushings less than 2 years ago.
What are your alignment settings?

Old 11-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #7717
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
What are your alignment settings?
Off memory..

2.5* Front camber
2.0 Rear
8* Caster up front.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #7718
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Off memory..

2.5* Front camber

2.0 Rear

8* Caster up front.
Are you running a staggered setup?

Old 11-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #7719
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Are you running a staggered setup?
Wheels are 18x9.5 +22 all around,

Front tires are 215/40 and 235/40 rear
Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #7720
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
When was your last alignment?
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #7721
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
When was your last alignment?
Last alignment was in the spring. Car has acted like this for a bit. More so wondering if a properly sized rear sway bar would help this issue. or if the 2-way is basically just pushing the car straight
Old 11-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #7722
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Last alignment was in the spring. Car has acted like this for a bit. More so wondering if a properly sized rear sway bar would help this issue. or if the 2-way is basically just pushing the car straight
It could be million things but easiest would be to adjust your rebound on coilover, next is front toe. try slight toe out.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #7723
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
It could be million things but easiest would be to adjust your rebound on coilover, next is front toe. try slight toe out.
Yes, what he said ^

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #7724
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarjh View Post
Anybody ever gotten stock s13 rear knuckles modified? It would seem like a lot of work to do, but I am curious.
This was done well before anyone had released drop knuckles on the market.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #7725
Speed Junkie
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Speed Junkie is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Off memory..

2.5* Front camber
2.0 Rear
8* Caster up front.
You left out toe which is the biggest driver of "darty" steering. The front suspension toes out under compression. OEM spec alignment calls out for a bit of toe in for that reason.

I had set my front toe to zero before knowing it and the bump steer was horrible. The car would dart around and yaw into every unevenness in the road. I took it back and set the front toe to factory spec and that drastically reduced the effects of bump steer.

As a side note, the rear also toes out under compression and running 0 toe will result in the rear yawing out under compression. I think factory rear toe setting is slight toe in.
Speed Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7726
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Junkie View Post
You left out toe which is the biggest driver of "darty" steering. The front suspension toes out under compression. OEM spec alignment calls out for a bit of toe in for that reason.

I had set my front toe to zero before knowing it and the bump steer was horrible. The car would dart around and yaw into every unevenness in the road. I took it back and set the front toe to factory spec and that drastically reduced the effects of bump steer.

As a side note, the rear also toes out under compression and running 0 toe will result in the rear yawing out under compression. I think factory rear toe setting is slight toe in.
This is good info. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:10 PM   #7727
91stockcoupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
91stockcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I recently installed a angle kit in my s13 and I am having a problem with a popping noise that happens at low speeds on dips or bumps with the wheel turned. I have heard it once while spinning out but mostly happens with normal driving, hard to explain but almost feels like something binding and a really really loud pop. I am running b knuckle, gktech +25 stock style lcas, gktech tension rods, gktech inner tie rods, outer misalignment tie rods and offset rack spacers, also have gktech solid steering rack bushings. To install the offset rack spacers I had to notch the rack on the passenger side and it is not 100% even with the drivers side, as the angle is a little bit different on the way the tie rod sits, not by much though. I am leaning towards that being the problem, another thing would be the solid steering rack bushings are supposed to move the rack forward a bit and maybe something there is not sitting right. Alignment isn’t the best as caster is pretty low at 5 degrees but I don’t think that would cause it. Any help and insight is appreciated, thanks.
91stockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #7728
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stockcoupe View Post
I recently installed a angle kit in my s13 and I am having a problem with a popping noise that happens at low speeds on dips or bumps with the wheel turned. I have heard it once while spinning out but mostly happens with normal driving, hard to explain but almost feels like something binding and a really really loud pop..
Sounds exactly like spring bind on the front coilover when turning. Very common on most coilovers that don't have a radial bearing.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #7729
91stockcoupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
91stockcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sounds exactly like spring bind on the front coilover when turning. Very common on most coilovers that don't have a radial bearing.
Don’t think it’s the coilover because the car drove perfect before putting the angle kit on, sound came only after the kit. But I will check that just to be sure
91stockcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #7730
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 subframe or S14 subframe?
Not sure if I wanted to pull the trigger and devote a LOT of time reading on suspension at this point in time.
Figured I’d try and have my question answered here.

Kinda thinking S14 subframe.
Project vehicle is a mild s13, looking to go wild. Most of its time will be spent on street, with the occasional grip event, and maybe/probably a couple drift events if I can afford it.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #7731
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakley View Post
S13 subframe or S14 subframe?
Not sure if I wanted to pull the trigger and devote a LOT of time reading on suspension at this point in time.
Figured I’d try and have my question answered here.

Kinda thinking S14 subframe.
Project vehicle is a mild s13, looking to go wild. Most of its time will be spent on street, with the occasional grip event, and maybe/probably a couple drift events if I can afford it.
First, I would tell you to go do the reading.

But basically it comes down to ride height. Is the car going to be low, tucking tire and such? Run an S13 subframe. If you're into a more oem-spec height, S14 subframe.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #7732
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A little lower than OEM. Whatever the PBM/PSM kit(s) drop the car by switching over, that’s probably how it’ll sit.
You’re from Michigan, so your roads might be similar... In PA, there are definitely potholes. Between those and speed bumps, etc. I favor a more practical / functional ride height.

Thanks for the basic answer. I was already leaning towards S14 subframe w/ risers based on GKTech’s article / paper and recommendations.
I’ll probably take the advice and follow it up with some more reading. Thanks again.
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #7733
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Random thought/question:

The way I see it, a steering rack spacer (between the inner tie rod and rack) is pushing the inner pivot point of a 'suspension arm' (in this case, the tie rod) outwards, which would shorten the arm (assuming you want to maintain toe), as well as change the travel arc.
Is this a correct analysis? Would those a changes make any noticeable difference to the way the car behaves?

The reason I care is because I have HICAS and I don't want to delete it, so that means my toe rods are tie rods. I'm looking at the beefy PBM inner tie rods because the stock HICAS ones are a known weak point. The problem is that PBM decided to add a 'built in' rack spacer on the end.

Any similar options out there instead?

EDIT: Just read the discussion up the page about toe-out under compression stock... wouldn't this effect be multiplied with a shorter tie rod?
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #7734
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by super.trick View Post

EDIT: Just read the discussion up the page about toe-out under compression stock... wouldn't this effect be multiplied with a shorter tie rod?
When you add a tie rod spacer you have to then adjust the tie rod length via the outer tie rod to compensate the toe change. After that it is the same aside from more rack travel.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #7735
super.trick
Leaky Injector

super.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enoughsuper.trick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
When you add a tie rod spacer you have to then adjust the tie rod length via the outer tie rod to compensate the toe change. After that it is the same aside from more rack travel.
Quote:
... a steering rack spacer (between the inner tie rod and rack) ... would shorten the arm (assuming you want to maintain toe) ...

A shorter arm means a smaller travel arc. That is what I'm asking about.

EDIT: If that would cause any perceptible change, that is. Obviously it is different.
super.trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #7736
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
A shorter arm means a smaller travel arc. That is what I'm asking about.

EDIT: If that would cause any perceptible change, that is. Obviously it is different.
Yes.

If you look at the first page in this thread, it has a list of compatible inner tie rods. See which ones are the thickest and go from there.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:51 AM   #7737
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:

Depending on your camber, that can be the tire laying meat down, and not riding on it's tippy toes. Especially with McPherson.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #7738
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Man this thread used to be thriving with regular content. I wonder what happened. Everyone stopped drifting?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #7739
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nah they're still out there. Social media took over and the forums died imo.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #7740
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Man this thread used to be thriving with regular content. I wonder what happened. Everyone stopped drifting?
Everyone started running B knuckle and reverse rake

But in all seriousness youtube and social media have taken over. The information is readily accessible on those platforms by messaging your favorite drift dude and buying what he runs. This thread made it's mark, and I hoped it help customers push companies to make awesome roll center correction parts for the s-chassis.

It's with great fondness that I remember when Dousan imported some cut n' shut knuckles and it sparked my interest in steering and suspension geometry. Those days people were running tie rod spacers and nothing else, and look where we are now! Tons of companies making varying levels of awesome products. We have anything from 25-90mm of roll center correction available.