Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
VQ or LS1 Swap?

I’m trying to decide if I want to swap an LS1 or a VQ35de in my S14. I’m ok with the horsepower of a VQ with bolt ons. I’m just worried about the turn in would be affected with the VQ as opposed to the LS1. I already have both engines. I’m also concerned with the difficulty of the swaps. Has anyone ever done both swaps or driven 240s with both engines in them?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Most will say no but for my 2 cents...LS. There are plenty of builds on here to reference.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 AM   #3
snafupossum
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
snafupossum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ls is a tried and true swap, thanks to gm putting them in everything under the sun parts are cheap for the most part. wiring is stupid simple and almost every major city has a couple craigslist dudes that do simple 3 wire harness conversions if you dont want to mess with wiring. Also down the road if you want to add more power you cant beat a ls motor in that department.

I'd only do vq if I had one laying around and didnt have the means to get a ls.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If my goal was merely 400bhp I would use an sr20 or something around 3L or less.

thats like 350rwhp which even a stock SR could do.

Alot of people swap LS or whatever but leave it N/A and make 350-400 something. It just seems a waste of time for all that work to get sr20 power back.

I suggest either LS + turbo because F@*(&# 400hp
or 2jz-gte + turbo
or sr20det + turbo

Just don't forget a towel. I mean turbo
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Lol... VQ35DE vs ANY LSx?!?! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The only VQ worth a damn is the VQ30DET, IMO.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Vq platform is awesome, don’t let the hate get mixed up with the facts.
If you go LS go for a REAL LS, aluminum block.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
Benfica7
Leaky Injector

Benfica7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Vq platform is awesome, don’t let the hate get mixed up with the facts.
If you go LS go for a REAL LS, aluminum block.
Iron block truck motors may not be REAL LS's, but they are better for turbo setups. And if you follow the advice from above, WhY dO nA LS sWaP fOr sr20 PoWeR?... If you want "bigger" numbers, the REAL LS is not necessarily the best option.

You can't beat the price and reliability of a $400 truck motor when doing a chevy v8 swap. (Notice I didn't say LS swap)
Benfica7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Please stick to the manufacturer, or at least the country of origin. Too many s-chassis have been bastardized already.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
That’s the correct mindset, I hate getting into arguments with peasants about their truck motor not being a “LS”.
Doesn’t make it a bad motor.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Vq.

Sounds better
Still Nissan
A lot more exciting then just another ls swap(which is more of a groan then even excitement)
Good power potential
Install parts and modifications already documented
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
VQ30DET... Be the hero Zilvia needs...
Old 07-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
I’m really just trying to figure out how the extra weight of the LS1 affects the turn in and transient response of the front end of the car. I don’t have a vq30det, SR, 2JZ,or truck motor. I don’t care about being original. I really don’t care about mixing engines and chassis’. I need some insight on the “feel” of both cars from some one who’s driven both.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Green Arrow
BANNED

Vq is lighter than KA
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #14
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
LS aluminum block should weigh less than the KA as well. I think where you get back over weight is the trans you choose. In his case a T56, the combo weighs more than the KA/5SPD.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
Green Arrow
BANNED

It does, I’m not too familiar with compatible trans (ls).
There’s prolly a cd009 conversion out there.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

VQ or LS. Jeezus
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #17
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdrifter View Post
VQ or LS. Jeezus
Whoa buddy relax, you asked the question. As vague as it was, you are simply asking strangers on the internet to help you decide what motor to run. How about explaining goals of the car?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
somebody post the thread where the guy weighs the car before and after and its more balanced with the LS in it.

edit: found
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ce-inside.html
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Benfica7
Leaky Injector

Benfica7 is an unknown quantity at this point
OP doesn't seem to want facts, but someone's ~feeling~ on how the different setups drive, which is going to be subjective...
Benfica7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #20
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As much as I looooooooooooooove the VQ sound, and the fact it's a shorter length block due to having less cylinders, which means it's more centrally placed in the engine bay, and helps with overall balance. . . the overall cost is crazy. Cost alone is what prevented me from going VQ. The cost of the swap, the cost of the swap components, cost of the ECU anti-theft and tuning were sky high compared to the LS option.

LS is soooooooo cheap, and even if you blow it up you can replace it 2 or 3 times before you even come close to what the VQ swap would cost.

If you're just aiming for 400-500 hp, a simple cam swap is all you'll need
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #21
nismo35
Leaky Injector

nismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the roughnismo35 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
As much as I looooooooooooooove the VQ sound, and the fact it's a shorter length block due to having less cylinders, which means it's more centrally placed in the engine bay, and helps with overall balance. . . the overall cost is crazy. Cost alone is what prevented me from going VQ. The cost of the swap, the cost of the swap components, cost of the ECU anti-theft and tuning were sky high compared to the LS option.

LS is soooooooo cheap, and even if you blow it up you can replace it 2 or 3 times before you even come close to what the VQ swap would cost.

If you're just aiming for 400-500 hp, a simple cam swap is all you'll need
I've ridden in this guys car and it makes me regret the fully built SR I have. If I had it to do all over again I would go V8.
nismo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
simmode1
Post Whore!

What are you using this car for?

VQ sounds so awesome ON PAPER. But once you start actually comparing the costs of swapping one vs an LSx, you quickly see why VQ swaps aren't as popular. By the time you finish swapping a VQde into your S-Chassis, you could have probably just bought a HR 350z or maybe even a 370Z for about the same money.

Once you add that fact that VQde's are complete dogs when it comes to making more power, it really seems obvious to me.
But I do actually like the VQ in it's native chassis. It's a total workhouse, kinda like the KA.

If you are concerned about the weight distribution of an LSx with T56 in an S-Chassis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4kIk8mXSk
Old 07-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

No, no to the V6 of any manufacturer. Unless an extraordinary circumstance occurs a V6 is a terrible idea for a large, overwhelming number of reasons I will summarize with one sentence

"You get all of the hassles of a V-configuration, without the two extra cylinders"

Its never a choice between something and a V6. You are either straight 4, 6, or V8, V10, V12, etc

I would even say 2jz over LS if you can afford the engines and have a light vehicle.

No question that working with only one side of plumbing is 100% easier and simplified, and that 4-valve cylinder overhead cam heads are far superior, with hemispherical combustion chambers and optimal plug placement, main girdle support, piston oil squirters, I mean come on its just too good
Old 07-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #24
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^FRFR. Inline engines FTW. So much easier to work on and less parts to buy. I hate the idea of having to buy 2 exhaust manifolds or headers or 4 cams for a dohc v6. At least the LSx only has 1 cam to upgrade. All the upgraded head options on the LS help it's appeal too. Plus, damn, just look at the LSx's intake manifold. Then look at the VQ35DE's. That shit so ugly. And so are the aftermarket units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
somebody post the thread where the guy weighs the car before and after and its more balanced with the LS in it.

edit: found
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ce-inside.html
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Although LS have their own share of serious flaws, like dying from valvetrain failure when fitted with a cam without serious work on rockers, pushrods, springs and so on, or when revved slightly too often near the rev limiter even stock, or not being able to take some Gs without oiling problems, i would not bother swapping a VQ. There really is no point. A VQ will do around 300hp tops A CA or SR will do the same, stock. The gearbox will be at its limits, true, but then you can put a VQ gearbox in it. Heck, for the price of a VQ swap you can put a sequential dog box instead.
VQ rods are weak so you cannot turbo them without building them. It makes no sense to use one, unless some rule states you can change the engine but only take another one from the same manufacturer. That and they take up quite a lot of room being DOHC.

Want turbo LS ? go cast iron truck block. Want NA power ? well ... aluminium blocks have become expensive and cannot be rebored, so you might regret that weight saving aluminium thing the instant you drop a valve (because it will happen, unless you source an LT from a C7 corvette. Even then ...), but either are valid choices.
With a nicely built valvetrain, a cam, an LS Next block from dart and dry sumping they will reliably make a ton of power.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

allow me to clear up some,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Although LS have their own share of serious flaws, like dying from valvetrain failure when fitted with a cam without serious work on rockers, pushrods, springs and so on,
Actually. And I am not just saying this. The factory rockers are amazing from 2001+ and everybody uses them, reliable even at 1k rwhp with stock pushrods and heads.

The trick like most engines is using low lift and gentle ramps.

Quote:
or when revved slightly too often near the rev limiter even stock, or not being able to take some Gs without oiling problems
Be reasonable with RPM. 6000rpm is practical for almost any 02+. I might take a 4.8L which is a de-stroked 5.3L to 7k frequently.

The G's without oil problems is in the oil pan. So many simply fill extra 2qts of oil when drag racing. others and especially in swaps use a custom oil pan, the sikky unit for example has a trap which only allows oil back to the center pickup and not back out to the edges of the pan.

Quote:

Want turbo LS ? go cast iron truck block.
Actually the fastest turbo cars use the Aluminum L33 engine more than anything else. It holds the record I am told
http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=25975.0

Finally, Here we go: 6L, stock bottom end with a cam and springs. Factory rockers, pushrods, lifters, pistons, crank, rods, balancer, oil pump, head gaskets, coils, bearings have 200k or 250,000 miles I forget which.
1000rwhp dynojet from that ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckALwOQKE2M&fs=1" width="644" height="390">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckALwOQKE2M&fs=1" />https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckALwOQKE2M">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckALwOQKE2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckALwOQKE2M
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #27
oldman_KA_T

oldman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enough
ls swap won't have you kicking yourself in the ass years from now. oem support for the vq won't last forever. other than that vq sounds awesome and has a great powerband for an s chassis that you can keep the pedal mashed down on. ls means you will be doing fine inputs on the throttle 99% of the time.

if i had lots of money to blow i'd love a vq35hr/37vhr swapped s chassis with just some longtubes and exhaust. good for a dd and you can wind it out on a track.
oldman_KA_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_KA_T View Post
if i had lots of money to blow i'd love a vq35hr/37vhr swapped s chassis with just some longtubes and exhaust. good for a dd and you can wind it out on a track.
FRFR, just get a Z33/34. Early Z34's are like $10k now and vastly superior to the vast majority of S-Chassis. Gut it if you're serious about track times.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #29
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
VQ's have weak rods and known to bend when boosted or even a little juice. They have good torque out of the box but not as good as an LS. I vote jz
Old 07-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
OR get a corvette for cheaper and have something you wouldnt mind to daily and drift all the time plus you can save the S chassis for the rest of us who like to keep it japan
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote