Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #241
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
.. [emoji854] thanks corvidddd
2017 tho...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #242
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
2017 tho...
there was a k24 update in august
Old 04-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #243
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^^^^Sitting on a tire does not count sir lol.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #244
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
^^^^Sitting on a tire does not count sir lol.
you should probably just change my thread title because i keep getting distracted

so remember that two tone i picked up 3+ years ago? well i put it up for sale like 3-4 times and kept having people flake/back out. didn't really want to sell it anyway, just didn't have time... until now!

the old single cam had a severely fucked up head. cam journals scored as hell so out it goes

1.5 hours later

gotta replace this bent ass lower beam on the cherry picker. almost tipped over on me while the motor was hanging over the rad support, so i had to just drag the end of the trans over it cuz i was scared to go any higher

i'm gonna rebuild the sr out of the green car for the 17.46th time. then all i need is an exhaust manifold, a t28, fmic, and clutch pedal assembly and it should be ready for some fun, but i'm sure i'll find some dumb shit to do along the way. i'm trying to retain all the creature comforts like ac and cruise control so that may complicate things. SIP for 3 more weeks we'll see if i can finish before the end
Old 08-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #245
deolio
Post Whore!

Not really much media for this post, so here's a pretty picture to start it off before a wall of text.

I finally got the car to the track. I was hoping to get a shakedown session in before doing full track on Thunderhill East at Super D, but due to Covid, the heat, and all the local street spots being a bust, I didn't get a chance. Literally 5 minutes into the track being hot, it was black flagged due to someone leaking oil all over it. Fortunately Super D had the small skidpad rented out too so I got a chance to get a quick shakedown in. The car felt amazing temps and psi's looked great, but in such a small area it was difficult to keep my eye on the gauges under WOT.

Once I hopped on track, I did a couple grip laps. I was surprised how many blind and off-camber turns there were. Once I got a chance to go WOT I noticed the AFR would periodically shoot off the gauge, but would drop back to safe range after a second. So I let'er rip and holy fuck did it feel good. Legit the best driving car I've ever driven. So much turn-in, yet manageable and grippy and fast. For the first couple of laps I just left it in third gear and everything worked great, aside from me initiating everything a bit too early and using far too much e-brake.

I took a break and then went back over to the skidpad and did a few laps with Dom and Nic. The flat spots from sitting on the e-brake were so bad I though I had broken my car I've never used the e-brake that hard before. After the runs, I noticed the AFR was sticking at 18+ for a lot longer than it had been in the morning, but it was still running fine, not stumbling or acting like it was leaning out. Nic suggested the wideband sensor may be bad as he's had similar issues in the past, so I swapped out the wheels and hopped back on the track and started really ripping it.

The first lap out I chucked it into turn 2 in 4th and went to downshift to 3rd and it wouldn't go in gear. Drifted turn 3-5 in 3rd and dropped to 2nd for turn 6 and tried to upshift to 3rd and it wouldn't budge again. I tried entering turn 10 in 4th and dropping to 3rd and of course it wouldn't go even with me slamming it with the force of Bruce Banner. 3rd gear synchro DED. So I just did everything in 3rd again, dropping to 2nd and revving out at turn 6. Not quite as exhilarating. Then I decided to give turn 1 a go. Ripped it mid-way through 4th gear and initiated the feint crossing the start/finish line at about 95mph and clutch kicked the shit out of it until it wouldn't stay sideways anymore haha I gripped the rest of the lap in an attempt to catch up to Dom, which was fun. Not sure how, but this dumb slammed car handles amazingly well. Super curious about what kind of lap times it'd put down if I really pushed it. Anyways, of course as I caught up to Dom, he pulled into the pits, so I ripped it as hard as I could down the front straight and I noticed the AFR weren't returning to safe levels what so ever so after giving turn 1 another go, I cruised the rest of the way around the track and into the pits. AFR stayed off the gauge the entire time.

When I pulled into the pits I got a big waft of fuel and saw fluid pouring out of the bottom of the car so I jacked the car up with the quickness and grabbed a fire extinguisher just in case. Fortunately it was on the cold side and it was actually just coolant leaking out of one of the swirl pot lines. Sure did get my heart going for a second!

I couldn't identify where the fuel smell was coming from, but my guess is there's something funky going on with the hard lines, whether it be a pinch, pinhole puncture, blockage, or shitty fitting. At this point, I've replaced just about every other component in the fuel system. Also hoping the wideband sensor is just bad otherwise some pistons might not be very happy with me

I forget why, but I popped the hatch and found the battery tie-down had snapped and the battery was just chillin on its side in the spare tire well. Thank fuck it's dry cell and didn't leak acid everywhere. Curious as to just how long it had been flying around. I don't recall hearing anything flying around back there, but I did have a couple hard off-track excursions earlier in the day.

At that point I decided to call it and pack up the car. It was already 2pm and 100?+ out. Gave me a chance to watch they other doods boogie down the front straight and huck it into turn 1, which was very exciting to say the least. I don't care what anyone says, 100+mph entries are always cool regardless of linking it to another turn or not.

In the end, it was a slightly frustrating day, but I still had a ton of fun out there. Thank fuck this car handles as well as it does or else it'd be part-out city with all the head and heart aches this thing has caused me. Julian just announced they're going to do East at the end of the year again so at least I'll have a chance at redemption.

Also, quick side note, Federal Evolution ST-1 feel fucking great. 10/10 bang-for-the-buck tire and they come in 225/35r18, which is what I was running up front with 225/40 ST-1 in the rear. Extremely balanced.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #246
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Ever fighured out PS and AC?? Wanting to K swap something, and those two items are providing issues (although, since I am going to the partial wetsump, that eats up the PS relocation area at the bottom)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #247
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Ever fighured out PS and AC?? Wanting to K swap something, and those two items are providing issues (although, since I am going to the partial wetsump, that eats up the PS relocation area at the bottom)
For PS I was thinking electric pump. Hadn't put any thought into AC yet though. At this rate, I'm sure someone will have done it by the time I get around to it haha

So, I've been meaning to build a splitter for the DLux for forever and finally got around to doing it. My local Tap Plastic store only had 1/4" thin ABS in stock so I decided to just do a simple bumper-mounted splitter for now (it's way too floppy to use the chassis-mount setup I had on the coupe).

Marked it and cut it with a jigsaw. You want a blade that's got 10 teeth per inch. The blade I used was actually for wood and cut just fine.

It melted back together in a few spots, but it was nothing a dremmil couldn't fix. Did a super lazy inner trace just to make sure I didn't cut it out too thin.

Threw a few bolts with some LARGE washers in it and ta-da!

So back to this lean issue. I pulled the plugs the other day and they all looked perfect. Slightly rich if anything. Bought a new sensor and the AFR is on the money. So, I actually drove a car to a meet for the first time in over 2 years last night.

I was surprised how nicely it drove, though the coolant temps started climbing over 200?F when I'd do pulls or come to a stop, which is odd. It never typically gets over 160? even when it's over 100? outside. So that's today's project
Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #248
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So 1/4" ABS is too thin? I'm likely going to switch from my dorkidori poly aero bumper to a fiberglass bumper I picked up this winter, and I'd like to do something similar to hopefully help save it when it touches the ground.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #249
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
So 1/4" ABS is too thin? I'm likely going to switch from my dorkidori poly aero bumper to a fiberglass bumper I picked up this winter, and I'd like to do something similar to hopefully help save it when it touches the ground.
Just too thin for my chassis-mount setup. If I added some pickup points near the edges it might be ok though. 3/8? would work much better for that setup though. For a bumper-mounted splitter, 1/4? is fine though.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #250
deolio
Post Whore!

Hello

I went to a drift event last weekend. Being able to fit all this shit in the car was nice. Used to be such a pain packing everything in the coupe haha

Only decent photo I got because 3 runs in, the clutch decided it didn't want to hold anymore.

ALWAYS fuckin something. 3rd gear synchro is shot so I need to pull the trans anyway. At least the car survived the 3 hour roundtrip with zero issues otherwise.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #251
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Wow. That looks so good.
And it survived a 3 hour round trip after a day of drifting. Round of applause.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #252
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
Wow. That looks so good.
And it survived a 3 hour round trip after a day of drifting. Round of applause.
Thanks!

A couple more from the event.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #253
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Hey pal, only I can post pictures with BJ on this forum
Old 11-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #254
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Hey pal, only I can post pictures with BJ on this forum
I did it first noob!
Old 12-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #255
deolio
Post Whore!

So, I messed with the clutch engagement adjustment on the pedal and the clutch seemed to have stopped slipping, though I only tested it at night, in the cold, and not for an extended period of time. So that might have been all that was going on?

Anyhow, since I needed to pull the trans for a rebuild anyway, I picked up a very slightly used clutch from a friend to put in just in case.

Oh and we finally installed a lift in our shop after crawling around on the ground for 6 fucking years

When I pulled the clutch, I found it didn't look bad at all. It wasn't glazed and the flywheel and pressure plate didn't look overheated or anything like previous clutches I've fucked up in the past. And then I noticed the clutch disk for the new clutch was and awfullll lot smaller than the current one...

Apparently the White Bunny kit uses a z33 clutch and flywheel or something someone said (I didn't know what brand it was at the time cuz it was already on the car when I bought it)???? So my new clutch wouldn't work with the damn flywheel. I ended up just scuffing up the White Bunny and putting it back in.

And then my roommate got Covid and I had to quarantine for a week and a half (I didn't get it), which ate up a ton of time for the transmission rebuild. It did however give me time to research the easiest way to do the rebuild, which was all very confusing because none of the fs5w71 diagrams or youtube rebuild videos show the same fucking shit. Using a combination of like 7 tutorials/diagrams as by guide I began the teardown. I found reverse gear was pretty fucked (because no synchro for reverse in s13 fs5w71c thanks Nissan) and the 3rd gear synchro teeth were nice and worn down, but aside from that it was in pretty good condition.

Knocking the pins out to remove the striking rod and shift forks was a nightmare using screwdrivers and allen wrenches instead of waiting until stores were open to buy some punches hahaha it took forever and I broke 3-4 screwdrivers. Then it came time to start pulling bearings and gears. I modified a crank pulley puller (as suggested in one video) and applied a healthy dose of heat (as shown in another video) and it wouldn't budge. Applied more heat and more tension and the puller slipped. More heat and vicegrips holding the puller jaws and it bent one of the makeshift puller arms. Event MORE heat, vicegrips, stronger arm, and more ugga-duggas and nothing. Didn't move a hair. I repeated this method, rewatched videos to make sure I didn't miss anything, tried wedging shit between the gear and bearing, tried whacking it with a hammer (that usually works) and nothing seemed to do the trick. Rented some bearing separator tool thing, which did jack diddily as well.

I want to learn how to do this shit, but I was running out of time so I put out a WTB for a transmission and after a few days I finally got a bite. It had been sitting outside for a couple years with no control housing and looked kinda grimey/rusty, but the price was right so I said fuck it. I brought it to the shop and poured out some nice oil/water/dirt/rust sludge and decided to pull it apart to clean it out and found...

... The main bearing was completely fucked with the cage broken and missing balls. Pulling the rest of the trans apart, I found the missing pieces and a lot of sludge, but everything else (besides that pesky reverse gear) was in great condition. I couldn't spot any damage from any bearing shrapnel.

I remove the remains of the bearing cage and the rest of the balls fell right out so I decide to just cut the inner race and whack it with a chisel until it loosened up, which was surprisingly easy. Putting the replacement bearing on, however, was another battle of heat and brute force. This time I set the bearing on the griddle of my propane heater for like 15 minutes before sliding it onto the shaft and wailing on it with a piece of scrap tubing at a deadblow hammer. It took about 7 cycles of heating and hammering to get that motherfucker seated, but it worked.

Cleaned up all the mating surfaces and prepped them for some gasket-maker. I ended up using the rear extension from the old trans because the new one just had soooo much damn debris packed in to all the damn nooks and crannies.

So... we don't have a high-lift transmission jack yet and I got impatient waiting for a friend to come help me hoist this shit up in the car so I he-man'd it myself. 0/10 - do not recommend. At one point I was using my head to hold it in place while I threaded a bolt in. Somehow managed to filet my left hand in several spots throughout the process as well. Still prefer this over doing it on the fucking floor like a heathen though hahaha

While the car was in the air, I also managed to clean up the undercarriage pretty well, did a thorough nut and bolt check, and stuffed any open holes into the cabin either with bolts or a heathy glob of RTV in hopes of waterproofing it.

All that's left now is to solder some wires back onto the transmission sensors that got fucked up on installation (maybe that's how I cut myself?) and bleed the slave cyl and hopefully it's ready for Super D NYE!
Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #256
Grumbles

Trader Rating: (0)
Grumbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
reading this thread made the first 2 hours of work way better. hatch looks amazing, it came together super well visually. one day your cars will give you a break!
Grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #257
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
love this thing
Old 12-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #258
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
idk man, being on your back and being able to bench press the trans in is my favorite way if I don't have a trans jack.

Good shit though, I fuck w everything going on.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #259
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbles View Post
reading this thread made the first 2 hours of work way better. hatch looks amazing, it came together super well visually. one day your cars will give you a break!
Thanks! Maybe some day I'll catch a break, but until then I guess I'll just keep punching myself in the face

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
love this thing
Tnx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
idk man, being on your back and being able to bench press the trans in is my favorite way if I don't have a trans jack.

Good shit though, I fuck w everything going on.
Yeah, definitely easier. I should have just lowered the lift and done it that way, but I wanted to see if I could do it haha

I forgot to note that when I fist got the car on the lift I noticed there was oil leaking out of the intercooler couplers. I changed my catch can setup from going into the intake tube to just venting to the atmosphere in hopes that it was just an issue with the arrangement, but after 2 laps on track, the oil pressure started to drop. I pulled in and found that nearly all of the oil had poured out of the catch can. Checked compression and cylinder 4 was only holding 75psi Only break this car is giving me is broken shit. I'm not even mad tbh. I needed an excuse to paint the engine bay lol

Anyway, here are some nice photos someone took of some hardparking

Old 02-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #260
deolio
Post Whore!

So last month kinda sucked. Searched for a ka for a while, but they were all over priced and/or in sketchy condition. Then I kinda came to the conclusion I'd just end up in the same place if I didn't build the bottom end, which is just fucking stupid when the ENTIRE PURPOSE of me buying the hatch was to have a fun car to drive while doing the k swap on the coupe. So far it has been the exact opposite, so I decided to partially part it out (keeping all the suspension and some other shit).

Last Saturday I started pulling the motor, swapped the suspension from the coupe to the hatch and the hatch to the coupe, pillaged whatever interior stuff I still wanted, and had the shell loaded up in the new owner's trailer by Thursday. Apologies for the shitty photos, I didn't bother to take a minute to snap any decent ones, not like it matters anyway...

And then I got to work on the coupe. The old sr is going back in for now, while I NA k swap my other coupe. I figure this will be the best route to take so I can fiddle around, take my time, and figure things out like the best PS setup and if AC is doable before diving into the turbo k build on the green car.

Still a lot of work to be done before it's ready to drive, but it's getting there quickly considering this thing was just a rolling shell a week ago lol
Old 02-17-2021, 07:26 AM   #261
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
So last month kinda sucked. Searched for a ka for a while, but they were all over priced and/or in sketchy condition. Then I kinda came to the conclusion I'd just end up in the same place if I didn't build the bottom end, which is just fucking stupid when the ENTIRE PURPOSE of me buying the hatch was to have a fun car to drive while doing the k swap on the coupe. So far it has been the exact opposite, so I decided to partially part it out (keeping all the suspension and some other shit).
Isn't that just the way it goes? I can relate dude. These cars and their parts are getting scarce and generally in poor shape. Really the only way to make sure it's right is to do it yourself. Progress looks good man!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #262
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Isn't that just the way it goes? I can relate dude. These cars and their parts are getting scarce and generally in poor shape. Really the only way to make sure it's right is to do it yourself. Progress looks good man!
Yep. Bummer that people have treated them so poorly all these years, but then again, I am one of the people Thanks!

Got everything hooked up and ready to go and the CAS plug decided it wanted to be a vape king

I jumped the wire and it stopped smoking so there is a short somewhere in the harness and now I'm not getting any spark why can't things ever just work for me?!

So I played dress up with some new aero bits and pieces. Can't wait to get rid of these fucking origin fenders and repaint the car lol

Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #263
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Yep. 1-1500KAs?? Da fuq?!?!
No thanks.

SRs are also pulling a premium. 3-5K for a 30 year old unopened S13, beat to shit engine that's been drifted to inches of its life....
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #264
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Yep. 1-1500KAs?? Da fuq?!?!
No thanks.

SRs are also pulling a premium. 3-5K for a 30 year old unopened S13, beat to shit engine that's been drifted to inches of its life....
Right?! I'm planning on retuning the sr at 10psi instead of the current 15 in hopes that it won't blow up and I can turn around and sell it for a premium when the time comes
Old 03-28-2022, 01:17 PM   #265
deolio
Post Whore!

So uhhhhh

Spent the last year trying to diagnose wtf the issue was with the SR and just kept chasing issues. Checked literally everything anyone could think of. At this point I'm pretty sure all the probing, prodding, and creative problem solving fucked something up with the ECU. Rather than continue dumping money into an engine that was supposed to only be temporary, I sold it to my shop mate - who ended up running into the same issue, which at least lets me know that the issue shouldn't plague the next engine that goes into the coupe lol

Celebrated 10 years of Gold Start in November which was cool (idk why the resolution of this photo is so shit)

The shop mate who I sold the SR to was gonna scrap his single cam, but I decided I could easily just throw it in the two tone I pulled the thrashed single cam out of 2 years ago. A couple weeks ago I started working on the coupe. I did some bay cleaning and rust prevention in the bay and then threw the single cam in. Hoping to eventually put a k24 in this coupe as well, so whenever that happens I'll beautify the bay, but for now primer will do the trick.

Finally having a use for these TE's inspired me to clean them up a bit.

While prepping to pain them, I discovered I could remove the paint without fucking up the "og bronze" finish. The first one came out perfect aside from some mild curb rash. The second one, however, explained why they had been painted. Big repair on the lip and one spoke had been ground down (but not cracked thankfully). Decided to just leave it that way for now. Would rather have 1 fucked up looking wheel than to paint 3 decent condition wheels. (the good wheel pictured below)

I finished doing stance coils, spl ruca and toe rods, new moog flca's and tie rods, and 5lug and brakes this last weekend and played dress up with the spare aero I had laying around. Kinda like the hotload/uras gt/??? valance combo tbh

I may have to fuck around and get a sexy style front and skirts and lower it for old times sake though...

Also, I finally ordered everything I needed to do the k swap in the other coupe. Just playing the waiting game now.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #266
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Nice, I contemplated doing this and bought a 7 thousand dollar road bicycle instead lol.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #267
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
Nice, I contemplated doing this and bought a 7 thousand dollar road bicycle instead lol.
I feel it. If I hadn't bought a mountain bike last year I'd probably be driving around with the k swap already haha

I decided I couldn't stand to drive this thing around all mismatched until I can do body work, so I got a few cans of color matched paint and got to work

Started running out of paint and the paint store was closed so I ended up spraying everything super thin. Not sure what looks worse, thinly sprayed and tiger stripped paint or mismatched body panels, but whatever. I'll probably add another coat or two whenever I get it streetable.

I went to the track, but I forgot my bummper bracket at home so I had to jimmy rig it

It drove surprisingly well for stock angle, single cam, and no alignment until it started randomly cutting out. Got a couple mediocre runs in despite it though.

https://i.imgur.com/A9kuzZQ.mp4

I chased the cutting out issue throughout the morning, but I couldn't pinpoint it after trying a number of things. It just seemed like the coolant temp sensor was going bad or something was grounding out or a connector was loose or maf or tps or all of the above (my bet). I decided to cut the day short and figure it out back at home, where I forgot all my spare parts -__-

Back at home, the first order of business was giving this poor car its first wash in probably about 7-8 years. Looking forward to getting this thing tidied up a bit more and reliable enough to drive to and from events so I can lower it from uhaul trailer-friendly height lol

Old 05-09-2022, 04:55 PM   #268
deolio
Post Whore!

So I started poking around the engine bay and found the intake coupler had a nice hole in it. Luckily a friend had a pristine dualcam coupler that I was able to make work.

I ordered a new coolant temp sensor, but it turned out to be too large in diameter and was hitting the inside of the coolant passage in the intake manifold. I went to 3 parts stores and tried to find one that was the same diameter as the stock one, but had no luck.

I remembered I had pillaged all the sensors off the trashed motor that came in the couple originally. I had to dig through a handful of boxes of random shit I've been hoarding at the shop and managed to find it and swapped them out.

I couldn't replicate the issue I was having at the track, so I packed a box of spare shit and signed up for another track day so I could try to diagnose it... but first, I decided I should buy another pair of heatmaker knuckles so I won't be thrown off switching between cars (if both ever run at the same time)

I also did some science and figured out precisely how low I could make the car and still get on a U-Haul trailer because I was tired of looking at the fender gap

At the track, the car was still acting up, but less sporadically. I was able to drift the first half of the course (3 turns), but as soon as I shallowed up to link a straight section before the second half it would cut out every single time.

Throughout the day I ended up changing:
• MAF
• Spark plugs
• Distributor cap
• Ignition coil
• TPS

And checked the:
• Fuel pump
• Fuel filter
• Fuel lines
• FPR
• CTS ohms

But none of the changes and none of the things I checked gave me any answers.

When I got home, I checked the ECU for codes and it said speed sensor an engine temp so I guess I missed something when I was poking around. I've found a few threads about both causing cars to not rev above 3500, but the fact I was able to take it to redline and drift a few turns before it cutting out seems suspicious. Guess I've got some more probing and prodding to do. You'd think I'd be better at diagnosing shit after all the issues I've ran into the last 5 years lol
Old 05-09-2022, 11:38 PM   #269
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Could be a bad fuel sock if it's not working after a few turns. I had the wrong kind of fuel pump sock on the supra one i swapped out before Final Bout SSW 2 years ago.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #270
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Could be a bad fuel sock if it's not working after a few turns. I had the wrong kind of fuel pump sock on the supra one i swapped out before Final Bout SSW 2 years ago.
Oh shit that's what it ended up being?! So random haha

I'm running the Aeromotive stealth pump that was in the other coupe. Never had any issues with it. I even did some final skids around the block at the shop before I pulled the sr out, which was only like 2 months before I put it in the two tone, so a fuel pump issue sounds unlikely to me, but I do have a couple spares I could try swapping in if I can't find any other likely solutions.

Yesterday I ended up checking the CTS and VSS again and both seemed fine. The pins on the plugs, however, look like the god damn statue of liberty, so I figure maybe one or the other is shifting just enough to lose connection? I gave them a nice spray and scrub, but I ordered replacement connectors/parts from Wiring Specialties anyway.