Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
HenrikS13

Trader Rating: (0)
HenrikS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 rb25 clutch fan with r33 crossmember + 2" radiator possible or not?

So im in the project to fit a clutch fan to my rb25 s13, for obvious reasons it wont fit straight in. I know this can be done with a stock radiator but by looking at pictures and doing some measurements I think its possible with an aftermarket radiator also.

By drilling the holes for the engine mounts farther back on the crossmember it will barly give enoght clearance. I think I can achive a few millimeters more by modify the radiator mounts so the radiator sits flush against the rad support.

Ofc I have mounted the fan blades on the back of the clutch hub and Im also using the syko engine mounts.

Have anyone done this? I have seen a guy with a thick radiator and clutch fan but he was not using the r33 crossmember, so my second option is to modify the crossmember even more.

Its not an option to cut the radiator support or use a tucked radiator
HenrikS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If u slide the entire drivetrain back to cleance for fans seems like alot of work..is there enough space with the driveshaft? What about transmount brackets?

Might wanna look at diffrent mount kits...

Maybe theres options for a diffrent fan clutch that is slimmer...
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
HenrikS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
If u slide the entire drivetrain back to cleance for fans seems like alot of work..is there enough space with the driveshaft? What about transmount brackets?

Might wanna look at diffrent mount kits...

Maybe theres options for a diffrent fan clutch that is slimmer...
Drifeshaft is fine, transmount are easy to modify.

Yeah, but what's is really the options for maximum clearance? The ones that have done this all say its only custom brackets and mounts, but none of them did tell me what crossmember they used

Thing is also I want to run AC and I donĀ“t want or can cut into the radiator support do to fitment issues for the condenser.There is really limited space for electric fans and in my opinion is hard to beat a clutchfan

I heard some rumours that r31 skyline clutch fan is slimmer, but than again its hard to get one and there is really not much clearance to the powersteering pulley and belt.

Here is a link to a car with thick radiator and clutch fan: http://giantclassiccars.com/nissan/3...-built-wa.html

It says its swaped by UPgarage and they tell that they use the r33 cross member "with some modifications to it" Only car that i have seen from them with a after market radiator.

And then there is this tread:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=656630

That guy apparently uses custom mounts
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Yea, but all that work n no fan shroud seems pointless to me. Would be better off with slim electric fans

Looks like on guy made his own mounts, push the motor far back, stock fan clutch n gktech fanblade.

That should be the same for u
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
could you bolt the plastic fan to the rear of the viscous coupling? to gain more room at the front, I don't know what the rear clearance on the fan is like.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
if youre modifying why not do tube crosmember, bolt it where you want on the frame rails, then do the same type modifying to the rad mounts to allow enough room to get the radiator and condenser to sit where you want...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #7
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
if you buy a decent aftermarket radiator like a Koyo it will be a lot thinner than a cheap ebay one.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #8
HenrikS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
could you bolt the plastic fan to the rear of the viscous coupling? to gain more room at the front, I don't know what the rear clearance on the fan is like.
Its a must to do this. Radiator is a Mishimoto, acording to info on the web its almost the same thickness as a Koyo.

Tubular is a big no. Biggest reason is car has to pass inspection and that is a lot easier with "stock look". Second reason is that I'm not skilled enoght to make it so I would have to pay someone to make all this and that would probably not be cheap.

For a little update I have done some more messurements and prepared to get the engine loose. Will update more as sone as I have more progress.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
HenrikS13

If anyone want to know how this went, the fan is now fitted.

I moved the engine ~1cm to the rear, I had to slightly modify the firewall and the area close to the speed sensor on the transmission tunnel. I drilled new holes for the engine mounts in the crossmember and cut away a small section on the front of it.
Then I ordered a rb30 fan clutch hub out of a Holden VL rb30 (they are not the same as Nissan rb30) together with a GKtech fan that fits straight on the hub without the adapter from GKtech. Its a tight fit but it clears everything with at least 10mm, fan blades have more clearance. I took some pictures but they turned out to be crappy, will take new ones later if there is interest of it.

There might been a possibility to use the rb25 fan clutch and mount the fan on back of it, but I figured new stuff is better
Now I just have to make some fan shroud.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:47 AM   #10
hungryjoseph
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
hungryjoseph is making a name for him/her selfhungryjoseph is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know it's been a while but I was wondering if you had any pictures of this set up? I'm looking into doing this myself. Would greatly appreciate it if you could follow up with pictures and how well the cooling worked.
hungryjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #11
HenrikS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryjoseph View Post
I know it's been a while but I was wondering if you had any pictures of this set up? I'm looking into doing this myself. Would greatly appreciate it if you could follow up with pictures and how well the cooling worked.

Zilvia was down everytime I tried to get back to you but it ran very well for 2 summers like that, not that the temperatures here are that high (25-30 celcius) but did not notice an increase in temperature even in traffic.

Im now in the progress of fitting a fanshroud from an r32, its a very thight fit and I had to hammer the rad support a tiny bit to sit the radiator absolutly flush to it. And ofc trim the fanshroud a bit to clear the powersteering belt.
Hoppfully I can get my A/C to work soon to really put this to the test