Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
coldfire07
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
coldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to coldfire07
Grinding noise when decelerating in gear

Hey guys, I've been having a strange noise coming from somewhere near the front of my 95 s14 for a while now, and I've decided to find out what it is.

It occurs when I'm in any gear, 20mph or lower, and not touching the gas. It sounds like a rasping/grinding noise, and if I put the car in neutral or push the clutch in, it stops. Also, the sound is very faint or inaudible if the car is cold, and the hotter it gets, the louder the noise is.

I've researched and the only thing I've come up with is the throwout bearing, but I was under the impression that if the TO bearing was bad, I would hear the noise when I pushed the clutched in.

Could it be my tranny fluid? I'm not sure what's in there now, and am wondering if MT-90 might fix the problem.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
twitchy
Zilvia FREAK!

twitchy is an unknown quantity at this point
mine does that too, i think its normal- its the sound of the gears meshing but when you go slow you can hear it cause its not blocked by wind noise
Old 09-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #3
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
its not your t/o bearing. t/o bearing is only when you clutch in, and its more like a horrible grinding noise then a tick. change your tranny fluid and see if that makes it go away.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
DamnedButDetermined
Zilvia Addict

DamnedButDetermined is an unknown quantity at this point
It is the input shaft bearing. It will get worse and worse and worse. Mine made a very loud grinding/whinning noise when i decelerated in gear. The only time it wouldn't make the noise was when I was in 4th or 5th gear, because the gear ratio is so close to 1:1 that the input shaft and output shaft were going almost the same speed.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
coldfire07
Zilvia Member

coldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnedButDetermined
It is the input shaft bearing. It will get worse and worse and worse. Mine made a very loud grinding/whinning noise when i decelerated in gear. The only time it wouldn't make the noise was when I was in 4th or 5th gear, because the gear ratio is so close to 1:1 that the input shaft and output shaft were going almost the same speed.
How expensive / hard to replace is that?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:09 AM   #6
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
my guess would be tranny rebuild. weeee!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
twitchy
Zilvia FREAK!

twitchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnedButDetermined

did you break it while airborne, or upside down?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
I thought it was just the engine decelerating. Every manual transmission I've ever driven has done it.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #9
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
I would think it's a shaft bearing. I don't think it's the input shaft though cause if it's in neutral with the clutch engaged then the input shaft is rotating and you would still hear the noise if it was one of the bearings on that.

Might also be a pilot bearing. If you pull the tranny off just check the pilot bearing and the TO bearing first. If they're alright you may have to take the tranny apart.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 AM   #10
ghostuss
Zilvia FREAK!

ghostuss is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ghostuss
shoot my tranny does exact the same thing after a half ass clutch done by myself. Yea I think it's some kind of bearing that's fucked up cause I forgot to change the ploit bearing and I might have screwed up when I was changing the throwout bearing. And since I don't have the rubber boot I can hear it loud and clear everytime I leave it in gear and decelerates but it goes away if i push in my clutch pedal. So if you got it fix let me know how you done it =) Maybe PM me cause I might forgot to check this page.

ButtonWillow, CA entire circuit drift/grip event by shock drifting spot for sale. Take over my spot for $150 only.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

coldifre b4 you panic and save for a new tranny just change your tranny fluid... have you ever changed it before? it's possible your fluid is just really old and doesn't lube that well anymore, so you hear alot more gear noise then you should.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
coldfire07
Zilvia Member

The tranny fluid was changed in January, but I have no idea what's in there. I'm picking up some Shockproof superlight this week and am going to change it.

One more thing I forgot to mention: say I'm in 2nd and my foot is off the throttle; the noise will happen. If I touch the throttle at all, it immediately stops.

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:11 PM   #13
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have the exact same problem. I really wish someone knew how to fix it because it pisses me off beyond belief. I always have to stay high in the revs to keep it from happening. It all started after I did my motor swap and I changed the clutch to a 6 puck. I did replace the TO bearing and the pilot bushing. I resurfaced the flywheel but I'm not sure if that threw off the balance or something. Any help on this subject would be gladly appreciated.

Oh yeah and this has nothing to do with your transmission fluid. I've used Redline Heavy Duty Shockproof and MT-90. It's a balance issue of some kind.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
What I've come to believe is that the problem is exactly what DamnedButDetermined said. Since I don't plan on rebuilding my tranny any time soon. I'm just gonna deal with it until I get an SR or I decide to turbocharge this motor. I'll probably just throw down some money on a used SR tranny and swap the bellhousings to work on my KA.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:32 AM   #15
tonee
Zilvia Member

tonee has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnedButDetermined View Post
I second what he says if anyone is encountering the same issue since I am
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
shouldn't be hard to change out as its on the front of the transmission...take the bellhousing off and probably just press it off and press new one on...
Old 02-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #17
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Thank you for bumping a 16 year old thread to AGREE WITH SOMEONE.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
Closed Thread